Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaimee_mae

those dumb spider mites

Jaimee.Mae
9 years ago

I discovered spider mites in my Meyer lemon tree yesterday. It's growing in a container and currently inside in a window. Today, I found that my potted hawaiian hibiscus, which sits right beside/intertwined with my lemon tree, is even more infested.

I just took both plants outside and (separately) sprayed them vigorously with water from the hose, tops and bottoms of leaves. I scooped out the wood chips I had on top of the lemon tree's soil, hoping to evict any bugs living in there (I didn't see any). Then, I wiped down every leaf of the lemon tree and spritzed it with water/olive oil solution (I then read that it's better to use vegetable oil instead of olive oil...oops too late). In 7 days, I plan to follow up with a diluted dishsoap wipe-down.

When I moved on to do the same on the hibiscus, I found it has quite a few more spider mites in it and the soil in the plant is just crawling with them. I sprayed it down well with water, then spritzed it with the olive oil & water (I was too squeemish to wipe leaves and I'm not as worried about it as my Meyer lemon). I plan to keep the Meyer lemon in the window where I had it and find a new home for the hibiscus for now.

Did I do the right thing? Any suggestions on getting the spider mites out of the soil on the hibiscus?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!