Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

Long trip about the aloe garden

lzrddr
13 years ago

This is a small sampling of what there is in my ridiculously overcrowded garden... I just grab a camera and wander about once a week. So this week thought I'd show a few- not too much in flower just yet, but the winter is coming!

Aloe aageodonta

Aloe affinis flowers

Aloe alexandrae (is supposed to grow into a nice tall, vaombe-like tree aloe... but at its current rate of growth, I will not live to see the day)

Aloe berevoana (suckering pale aloe behind the Aloe parallelifolia that just finished flowering at front of pot)

Aloe betsileensis... great plant! Everyone should have one of these... great color and reliable flowerer... here flower is just a few inches along

Aloe brandraaiensis... one of the best of the spotted aloes (that all look alike)... flowers are amazing, though still a week or two until you'll be able to tell

Aloe cameronii in early flower... gets too much water in this location so always a healthy green... not the cool red it gets without any water

Aloe compressa... flower is just sort of opening... small white sphere... not too impressive

Aloe diolii- this is one of my 'canary in a coalmine' aloes... when it's cold enough to do any damage to any plant in the yard, this one will show signs.. very wimpy species when it comes to cold.

Aloe elegans is another reliable and nice bloomer

Aloe fleurentiniorum blooms 3-4x times a year... cool looking plant, too (almost toothless)

And this Aloe flexilifolia is THE most cold sensitive aloe in my garden. It has two flowers now, but to this date it has not had a mature flower... flowers die when temps get below 35F. Maybe this will be the first year it gets there without damage... fingers crossed!

Aloe immaculata... called that since is in the spotted aloe group and has typical spotted aloe flowers... only it has no spots

I think that will be enough for this section or it will take too long to load. Next section coming up...

Comments (8)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is maybe a form of Aloe jucunda... though twice the size of all the others.. but too small to be Aloe hemmingii... any thoughts?

Aloe lineata

Aloe meyeri... these hang off cliff faces in the wild, but I have no cliffs in my yard... so grows like a normal aloe for me

Aloe monotropa is 'falling' out of pot... perhaps this is a cliff face hanger in the wild, too?

One of my favorite tree aloes- Aloe munchii

Aloe ngongensis... flowered already 3x this year.. .not a member of the winter-flowering-group

Aloe pillansii.. .recovered after bout of 'too much water in summer' this last summer... all leaves sagged and was very unhappy looking... but recovering now, and now it does want to be rained on

Until this plant, I have not been able to keep Aloe polyphylla alive... but got this one high off the ground in a shady spot and it has done well for three years now... very afraid to move it!

Aloe powysiorum... split in two last year... outgrowin location, too

Aloe rubroviolacea flower coming along this week... another great, reliable species

Aloe shadensis... slow

Aloe speciosa just moved to spot along street (no more room anywhere else)

Aloe succotrina... another plant my mysterious neighbor has decided to hack leaves off of, presumably for the purpose of using the juices for medicinal reasons.. .this particular species produces a brilliant lime green juice that quickly turns a dark purple... wonder if it's safe...

Aloe tenuoir... always seems to be flowering (at least whenever it's cool)

Aloe troroana about to have a mature flower

Aloe vryheidensis just showing a flower bud, and, unfortunately, sticking out into the sidewalk (will have to remove that sucker soon)

Aloe barberae and vaombe... the latter which should start showing flower spikes, too, soon

• yaslan
    13 years ago

This is your garden?!That is one fantastically beautiful retreat! And, wow, your aloes are admittedly impressive too!! Also, you say this is a small sampling?! Then, I wonder what other kind of treasures you have massaged in your landscape!
    -Bo

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes, though it is a rather dinky yard, I have managed to plant, or have in pots, over 510 aloes representing over 450 species. I used to have more, but alas, there are aloes I do not have much luck with (namely the grass and miniature aloes). There are yards and collections all about southern California that put mine to shame, though.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

lzddr,

Perhaps so, but none pack the punch yours does - thank you for the Aloe tour. It's particularly invigorating when outside it's -22C. Great plants and grown well. I saw some that I grew, too, but not to the size that you have them at.

• ykerzner
    13 years ago

My mouth just opened wider and wider while going down the list. These pictures are amazing!

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Thank you for taking the time and posting it for us to enjoy. All good looking plants.
    Thank you. lzddr.....

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Thanks for the trip down the aloe alée!
    This is a great post to help others compare and even ID various aloes in their collections.

Josh

• rosemariero6
    13 years ago

Amazing Aloes you have in your jungle, Geoff! I LOVE taking your virtual tours! Next best thing to being there. Thank you!! :D