Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani_plus_2

wild horses- is it slow for you after you move it?

dani_plus_2
15 years ago

It's drving me crazy! I've had it for 2 years and moved it in the Fall. We had a cold Winter so I'm not if it's just pouting or what!? All of my other DLs are up. I even made sure the roots weren't rotted this morning (they aren't, and I know I shouldn't have looked!). But, there is nothing in the crown at all. No greens! I pulled up a little of the leftover leaves from last year and they were a little mushy, but not the crown. Wah! I want him to grow!

Any input would be great, Thanks!

Dani

Comments (8)

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I've had that experience with a few daylilies, hoping to hear some good advice also. I'm not sure why, most don't seem to notice being moved, but a few sulk the following spring. If they don't die though, they have recovered & done well.

• floota
    15 years ago

On another group, ( I think the AHS Spider robin?) we have had extended discussions about all of Dan Trimmer's cultivars out of CLEOPATRA, which is notably tender. I got rid of CLEOPATRA years ago and I'm on the edge of zones 6-7. In years when we had severe winters, CLEO would sulk and bloom little, if at all. Of those Trimmer cultivars out of CLEO, I grow two, EGYPTIAN QUEEN and WILD HORSES. ( I think VOLUSIAN SPIDER might also have CLEO in the parentage) WILD HORSES is by far the most hardy of the three. EGYPTIAN QUEEN has always been more "iffy" and does not have nearly the good plant habits here of WH. But that "tenderness gene" is definitely from the CLEOPATRA breeding!

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

I have WILD HORSES which I got in late August 2008 from Marietta. It is coming up fine but how much or little it will bloom I have to wait and see.
    I've been reading lately about plants which appear that there is no growth from the crown and most people thought the plant dead. Then they noticed it started growing fans from underneath. Odd thing.
    Lesson I learned is not to move anything in the fall here which I consider late September/early October. Plants just don't seem to have enough time to recover and suffer the following season.

Hope it comes back. It's one of the dls I'm looking forward to seeing bloom this year...hopefully.

Julia

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Heres a pic last year of him, Juliany...part shade, that's why I moved him.

{{gwi:682701}}

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

That is a gorgeous daylily. Is it an expensive one? I'm obsessed with horses and would love to have one because of the name. :)

• floota
    15 years ago

I love the vivid eye of WILD HORSES. It is in mostly full sun here!
    {{gwi:663411}}

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

Dani: Really nice pic. I've got mine in full sun but yours looks like it was doing okay. I really hope its just a slow start after the move. Don't give up yet....

buyorsell: It's not an expensive dl and many growers/sellers have it at very reasonable price.

Julie: Nice pic too. That eye is what sold me on getting it.

Julia

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

I have WH. Received a clump of it last spring. It immediately put up 9 scapes which carried several pods for me.

I just went out to count and found it has 22 fans. I didn't count last fall but this is certainly a good increase considering I made it carry pods.

While our winter was not as cold as we sometimes get, we suffered extreme drought beyond normal (until this weekend) and a lot of perennials (roses for example) had more winter dieback than usual. It was absolutely root dessicating dryness.

Mine is also planted in full sun. I'm very pleased with its performance so far and I'm told by other local club members who have had it longer that it does well for them too.