Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

mid-June conifers

maple_grove_gw
11 years ago

Hey all,

Here are some photos from the garden today,

Juniperus squamata 'Loderi' makes a nice foundation planting. Grows 3-4"/yr.

Close-up of the foliage:

Picea abies 'Malena'

Picea abies 'Jana'. Another P. abies broom.

Abies koreana 'Gait', its fourth year in the ground. Last year it put out 4 cones. Sure wish I'd removed them, since this' year's growth is fairly insignificant.

Pinus nigra 'Black prince'

Picea abies 'Hillside upright'

And I can't resist including a maple. Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama Yatsubusa'

Alex

Comments (11)

• greenhaven
    11 years ago

Loving them, Alex! Especially the Abies koreana 'Gait' Just lovely!

• severnside
    11 years ago

I've left the cone spindles on like that on my 'Gait' and the new growth is fine. It could be other factors inhibiting yours.

You Pinus nigra 'Black Prince' is certainly tight and polite. Great specimen.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

That Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama Yatsubusa' steals the show. Nice sized specimen. I just have a little baby in a protected site to how he does.

Don't keep those maples from us. I see a bunch hiding in the pics. Looks like a nice paperbark next to the trident too!

• ghgwv
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. I really like the Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama Yatsubusa' as well. Glad to see it is doing well.
    Gary

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks GH, Severnside, whaas and Gary. Yes Miyasama Yatsubusa is a favorite, trouble-free and evidently happy here. Good eye, whaas, that is indeed a griseum to its left.

Thanks everyone for looking.

Alex

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Alex, nice pics, I like both the Picea abies brooms very much.

Please rename Juniperus squamata 'Loderi'
    into
    Juniperus pingii 'Loderi'

Also please write cultivar names with capital marks.
    not 'Black prince',
    but 'Black Prince'
    Thanks! :0)

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Edwin, I'll make note of your corrections.

Do you have any information about Juniperus pingii 'Loderi', this name is new to me. Is this a case where the whole species is reclassified as happened to nootkatensis, or was it a case of mistaken species identity?

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Great shots. Love 'Malena', it looks very compact and happy. Ditto 'Black Prince' - do you candle prune this?

Also I'll agree, Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama Yatsubusa' is wonderfully shaped and sized, a winner for sure.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Alex, the species experts found out that some Juniperus squamata cultivars didn't belong to this species.
    One of those is the 'Loderi'.
    Other cultivars that were renamed from J. squamata to J. pingii are 'Glassell', 'Pygmaea', 'Prostrata'
    and 'Wilsonii'.
    'Blue Star, 'Blue Carpet', 'Holger' and some others are still under J. squamata.

• sluice
    11 years ago

Nice! The Loderi looks very lush!

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Will, Edwin and Sluice.

Will, 'Black Prince' grows in this form naturally, I have not pruned it.

Edwin, thanks for the interesting information, I had not heard of this til now. Your help keeping cultivar names accurate is much appreciated.

Alex

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor