Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trish40_gw

Daylilies I planted in early March still aren't up...

trish40
14 years ago

I bought them from Lowe's, they are Stargazer daylilies, no sign of life and it's the middle of May! What should I do or am I just impatient? Obviously this is my first attempt with daylilies.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Trish ;)

Comments (6)

• shive
    14 years ago

Hi Trish,
    Stargazer Lilies are not daylilies. They are a form of bulb lillium called Oriental Lilies. You should be seeing some green on those by now. They don't bloom until late June or July here. I would give them another week or so. Then if you don't see any green growth coming from them, you might dig to see of you have them planted too deep or if they have rotted. They need to be planted in very well-drained soil.

Debra

• Nancy
    14 years ago

Stargazers I believe are true lilium, not daylilies. Oriental lilies. You might check at the lily forum. Still, Stargazers should be easy & if they weren't mushy when you bought them should come up. Typically, fall is the best time to plant lilium. Have you had a lot of rain like we have here? It is possible if your soil doesn't drain well that the bulbs have rotted. More than likely they are just being late in coming up though. If they aren't up soon, you might give in to curiosity & try carefully digging one up to see. Won't kill it, & at least your curiosity.

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I'm a slower typist :)

• floota
    14 years ago

I'd also suggest doing what ngraham stated. Carefully dig around where you planted them - at this point, if you see no signs of life, dig them up, take them back to Lowe's and get your money back! I think that quite frankly they should have come up by now.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

That's funny, ngraham.

Trish, I agree with Debra and ngraham. I planted 5 Stargazer lilies two years ago, three in one spot (two came up) and two in a totally different spot (only one came up and it really struggled). I gave my Mom 10 and 9 came up. Mine didn't do too much the first year, but I did get a bloom off two of them. Hers did okay, but had a setback when the bunnies decided they'd make a good mid-morning snack.

My Mom's look great this year and are about 18" high. Two of mine are also 18" high, but the one that struggled last year is only about 4" high. It is planted in a totally different area of the yard, but still gets full sun. I think the soil is just different.

I did purchase some other lilies two weeks ago, planted them, and am already seeing little green tops poking through. I would definitely try what the others are suggesting and dig around to see what's going on.

Vickie

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I don't see how lily bulbs planted in March could possibly not be up and growing by now. They just don't take that long to start growing. They surely rotted or else the growing stem got broken off somehow. Doesn't seem like that would be likely to happen to every one. I have been planting Lily bulbs all spring and even ones I put in only two weeks ago and coming up already.