Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jupiterplants

Oysters

jupiterplants
16 years ago

Hi, I have been checking with my friends and neighbors to see who likes raw oysters...... There aren`t many of us.

I go to a place in Jupiter and buy them by the 1/2 bushel. But once again..... I end up throwing some out.

My girlfriends and I joke about getting our bloodwork done every couple of years to see if our liver is okay !

So I was wondering. How many of you eat oysters and how do you like them ?

D`Ann

Comments (40)

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Oysters on the half shell. Oyster stew is a New England favorite. I tried them fried a couple of years ago at a restaurant here and wasn't crazy about them...but I do love them raw.

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

I was once forced,in 1975, to make oyster dressing for Thanksgiving by an ex MIL (also known as the wicked witch).
    It ruined the flavor of the whole Turkey. Bleech!
    I also remember turnips on the table in our single wide.
    The next year I was extremely thankful to be divorced.

What were we talking about again????

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

I used to eat a lot of raw oysters until my DH kept bugging me to stop eating them because I might die from it so I stop eating oysters for awhile until I went out to lunch with my friend. We ordered 2 doz raw oysters on the shell. Boy! that was good, So now I just don't eat the oysters when I go out to dinner with my DH. I used to fix fresh oysters in little soy sauce, vinegar, scallions, garlic, hot pepper flakes, dash of sugar, sesame seeds & sesaame oil. Yummmm

• ladywingr
    16 years ago

Steamed - with melted butter, 3 dozen please with a tall glass of sweet tea

Rockefeller

Fried in a Natchez-style po' boy sandwich

Oyster stew of course

As long as it's hot, I'll eat them. The cold ones I've had haven't been very good. I haven't had them fresh - I'm sure the ones I've had were thawed frozen ones - icky!

I figure the ibuprofen I take after gardening will get my liver faster than the oysters!

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

ugh!

something worse than a tomato!

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Ladywinger, I like the way you think. At least the oysters taste good. I love them too, we just don't eat them often. Hmmmm, it's been awhile, so maybe this week.

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay Tony...it is official

You will NOT be invited to my first annual Shuckum and Suckum oyster party !

Ya blew it with that PUKING bird ! ( but you guys are invited to my swap in the fall okay ? :)

But seriously, I was hoping to find some east coast g-webber that would like to come to my house

for some tasty raw oysters on the half shell. I am bummed...thought there would be more people. :(

There's Marion and Kathy, but the other ladies( ladywing and Jan1 ) are too far away to come for a meal.

Marion and Kathy stay tune for the invite in a few months !

And for the others.....email me privately if you are to embarrassed to admit publicly that you like them.

SLURP,

D`Ann

• nativemel
    16 years ago

Oh, how I love oysters on the half shell! Icy cold, a little squirt of fresh lemon juice and couple drops of tabasco. Straight from the shell or topping a Saltine. Mmmmmm....my mouth is watering.

I fondly remember my elementary school's fall festival which included $1 per dozen fresh oysters on the half shell. I'd spend my entire allowance there at the oyster bar.

I grew up in the panhandle of Florida with an uncle from Apalachicola who was a shrimper and oysterman. My family used to get them fresh from him by the gallon jar. His daughter and 2 granddaughters have hepatitis now. I'm guessing it may have been contaminated seafood, but no one in my immediate family was affected.

Fresh Florida panhandle seafood is scrumptious and puts to shame the "fresh" Orlando seafood...a/k/a frozen and thawed seafood attempting to masquerade as fresh.

I haven't had raw oysters in about 6 years and although I'd love some, Jupiter is a bit far for me to drive just for oysters. But you go ahead and enjoy them, D'Ann, and don't listen to Tony. :)

• pllove
    16 years ago

D'Ann...Slurp a few for us,for old time sake.. with lemon juice,hot sauce,maybe some cocktail sauce and a few saltine crackers.We're having some nice clam chowder night weather up here.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

D'Ann, you officially have broken my heart.......

I have nothing against folks that enjoy em, I kinda think there is something VERY INTERESTING about folks that do. They are the 'chance takers' the COOL ONES.

That being said, it shows to go ya, I aint one bit cool.

Take plenty of pics, I have a feeling it WILL Be interesting.

tony

• anitaathome
    16 years ago

D'Ann you got me! My family had a house in Chincoteague VA when I was growing up and we would go oystering and eat them on the spot! I thought Chesapeake oysters were the best on the planet until my husband and I went to Prince Edwards Island CA and trie Malpeques. Yum yum yum! I am not a FL connoiseur but have spent some time at Ft Walton Beach for work eating the bountiful (and at the time cheap!) oysters there. I need to learn more about FL oysters. So when you want to get shucking let me know!

Anita

• ladywingr
    16 years ago

Apalachicola oysters are the best!

D'Ann, this is one of the few times I regret living on the west coast - otherwise, I'd sure be over there helping you out! Eat a few for me :-)

Tony, You're a riot! LOL!!

Thank you, Terri

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shucks , Tony........didn`t mean to break your heart..........

But there's nothing worse than as you suck down the oyster someone puts their finger in their mouth and make gagging noises.

You would do that , would you Tony ? LOL ! Would you eat them in a creamy stew with potatoes onions and corn ?

My mouth waters just thinking about them .

I haven`t had any oysters since the winter of 04 before the hurricanes........now they are getting threaten by the drought in Georgia.

My family up Atlanta says it is real bad.

Thanks for all the postings people :) If you want to make the drive you are welcome.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

D'Ann, nope not me. I would hate to break the concentration, rhythm and momentum of anyone that is about to suck one of them beauties down.

Give me directions. Yes I need em so I can be sure to head the OPPOSITE direction that day YET I will be thinking of all you gals slurping away. It must be a chik thing. I dont recall any guys posting replies, cept me.... hmmm.

Dont 4get the pics!!

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

What! You throwin' oysters out?
    What's your problem?
    Don't you remember my phone number?!

Sorry I saw this post so late.

I'm coming to your next "shuckin and suckin" party if'n you'll have me.

Treefrog

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YOU ARE IN ! David treefrog :)

I was thinking about the first of Feb.

Will let you know :)

D`Ann

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Awe, Coffemom...

ROFLMAO @ Tony...

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

saw this story and thought of ya's.........

AP
    Posted: 2007-12-31 23:06:55
    Filed Under: Nation News, Weird News
    LAKE WORTH, Fla. (Dec. 31) - A Florida couple could be having an extra happy new year after finding a rare purple pearl while eating a plate of steamed clams. George and Leslie Brock stopped into Dave's Last Resort & Raw Bar on Friday during a day at the beach. George Brock was about halfway through a dozen clams when he chomped down on something hard - a rare iridescent purple pearl. The pearl was valued at $25,000.00.

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tony ,
    Funny you brought this back up

One of my girlfriends came by with some oysters tonight, and
    boy were they GOOD !

No pearls tho :(

25 grand ! ? That would be worth breaking a tooth for

LOL D`Ann

• growgrow
    16 years ago

D'Ann,
    we also love them!!!
    But will be visiting in the old country in February. Toooo bad!!!
    But if you don't have a use for the empty shells, save them for around my palm tree oyster shell hill (I don't know if you seen it in my garden).
    Have a great time and hope to see you soon.
    Veronika
    PS: Don't be scared if you pine cone ginger went dormant, it does that every year and comes back nice and strong.

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

okay :)

east coasters
    Kathy katkins
    David treefrog
    msmarrion
    Veronika
    Anita said she would drive "anywhere" for
    raw oysters LOL thata girl !

Too far to drive :(
    Jan1
    ladywing terri
    native mel
    pllove

Tony will watch and take pictures !

D`Ann

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

I think TreeFrog knows something alright. Him and all these adventuresome chicks.

click below!

Here is a link that might be useful: Icky

• ladywingr
    16 years ago

I thought of you today as I was sitting along the Myakka River down at the south end of Sarasota County at an oyster bar eating a couple dozen very overpriced but VERY TASTY steamed oysters - yes, I grossed out about half of the folks at our table but they were dee-lish!

Yes, I looked for an extra crunchy part, but found none :-(

• ladywingr
    16 years ago

IMHO, the reason the gal found it icky was all the red goop - tabasco or more likely cocktail sauce - that she loaded up on it.

Natural or a little melted butter - oh yeah, and slurp the juice.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Ladywingr,

Should I picture you sitting in some clam joint in Apalachicola?

There were MANY clam video clips on youtube which even I couldnt post a link to here.

I find it fine and dandy chics can slurp those gooey things down without even blinking.

• pllove
    16 years ago

LOL,a first timer and a fork.rarely works without crackers?Wonder if she had seconds?Don't need a fork with Tequila and lemons or limes either.Cute little thing.lol Heck,I might have used a fork with my first oyster too,it's been a long time...since the Tequila too!LOL

• lakeron
    16 years ago

Tony,
    Forget about it being a chick thing. Visit south Louisiana sometime, where I grew up. And you don't slurp 'em except to get it into your mouth with the liquor. Then you chew to get the flavor of the 'eye'.
    Fork comes in handy when a sloppy shucker doesn't cut the eye cleanly from the shell - you can scrape the eye off and eat it.
    Saltines come in handy while you're waiting for the shucker to catch up. LOL
    ron

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

EYES??????? What in the world do them things need eyes for????

• ladywingr
    16 years ago

Ooooo Ron - South LA?? We could go real OT about mudbugs... that's something better than oysters and infinitely more affordable!

I was real impressed with DH - he actually tried oysters and crawfish at my urging, didn't care for the oysters much, but will eat crawfish if they're in a sauce (so he can't tell what it is)

• msmarion
    16 years ago

OK I'm game...what's a mudbug?

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I suck the heads..

Do you suck the heads ?.................

LOL !

• ladywingr
    16 years ago

Nope - no head-sucking here, just can't make myself do it. Marion, there MIGHT be enough in this picture for two people...

{{gwi:763980}}

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

where the heck is the head in all that gunk anyways????

are mudbugs crawdads? do you have a close up pic? or is it too late?

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mudbug brains...........

• ladywingr
    16 years ago

Tony - here's one of them dee-lish-us critters before he went into the pot...

{{gwi:763982}}

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Mmmmm, icky chicks!

And mud bugs.
    You just gotta suck they little heads before eatin' they little tails!

Whatsa matter with you guys?

• lakeron
    16 years ago

OK, I'll take all this on.
    Tony: Oyster 'eye' is the name given to the muscle that the oyster uses to attach itself to the shell and opens and closes the shell. Kinda like a hurricane eye as its in the center.

Now on to mudbugs, crayfish, crawfish, crawdads. All the same.

Now now, jupiterplants, you know you're going for the fat when you suck the heads. I restrain myself so I can dig out the fat to use in the etouffee, if I can save enough crawfish to make it. If not, I freeze it til next time.

ladywingr: Those look like you got them fresh and did your own boil. Lucky you. All I can find here are the cooked, 'seasoned', frozen from CHINA. Yeah, like they know! But, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    The table looks like about 5 lbs. You're being very generous to offer to share with Marion. You must be betting that she's an 'amateur'. You wouldn't make that offer to a 'professional'. LOL. Proud of your DH for willing to try something new but have never heard of a sauce for crawfish. Kinda like painting your diamond ring.

And finally,
    tony: The head is at the other end from the tail. Think lobster only about 3 to 5 inches long.

Hope I answered everyone,
    ron

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

OHMYGOSH! you'd THROW AWAY fresh oysters just because you couldn't eat'em all?? FREEZE those little darlin's! There have been times when I had six quarts of Appalachicola oysters in my freezer. Stuffed the Christmas turkey with them one year. I love oysters just about any way you can fix them including raw. cora

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gotta give that a try. Didn`t know they would freeze well.

:)

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

I love oysters, but after a bout of hep A from raw oysters, I always cook mine now. I was told that the cayenne pepper sauce the cajuns put on raw oysters is to kill any bacteria on them. I can't take any chances. Hepatitis is not fun.