Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakejones_gw

Daylily Pet Peeves or Things I Don't Like

jakejones
16 years ago

Let's start the counting: (N.B. This is tongue in cheek, so don't flame me.)

1) Hemdom as big business. Is a single fan of a new daylily really worth $100-275? Yes, I know all the reasons: hybridizing, new genes, supply and demand. You use the pollen on 100's of plants. But essentially, you can buy 6-foot trees for $58. Is a shriveled single fan worth it? -- it will take years to grow into a clumb the size of a small shrub.

2) Too many introductions! There are about 12 established hybridizers and another 12 coming on strong. These introduce 8 to 20 new plants every spring, and many in the fall!!!! There are about a few dozen more hybridizers with unique contributions. And yet, many hybridizers don't even carry their own intro's a few years down the road! And many intro's don't even seem to have great coloration. They barely sell for $5 four years later. Why introduce them?

3) Rust. See #1. And also #2. Southern hybridizers appear to have kept their gardens smaller and thus don't carry "old stock."

4) Spiders, UF's and Doubles. Most doubles look like misformed blob's of genetic grotesqeries. Spiders have weak colors and little substances (cept PRIMAL SCREAM) (But I don't like it anyway). Of course, this is only personal preference, but why doesn't everyone think like me!!! And add in chicken fat edges: glutinous, gooey globs.

5) All the talk about addiction. Let's stop it. Addiction is bad. Sobriety is good. Talk about how many you don't buy, not the expensive ones you do. Don't feed the habit.

6) Photos (I'm only talking about the pix I take here): Overexposed, out-of-focus, 23k, old cultivars, mostly dry clay and some crab crass, and worse of all yesterdays slimy blooms that should have been dead-headed! Remember: It's all about me.

7) Dissing old cultivars (ignore what I wrote in #6). Why introduce a new red when some of the old stand-bys have better coloration. Why make me spend $25 on the LA to find out CHARLES JOHNSTON or RED VOLUNTEER outshines this newer one.

8) Lack of garden performance: Give us buds and branching please. No more 18" 11buds. Do more dabbing. We want beauty AND garden performance.

9) Talk about rebloom. Things don't rebloom in zone 7 without massive amounts of water. Even then it stresses the plant = no rebloom the next years. Talk of "third set of scapes" makes us unduly envious. If you really want to make us happy breed ones that WILL send up three sets of scapes in zone 4.

Remember: Think like me. It's all about me and my opinion. Really.

Please excuse this garden irreverence. I just had to get it off my chest. Now, where are those catalogs........

Comments (4)

• deangreen
    16 years ago

#1 and 2.... It's true, of course some large producers are spending a lot of money to get that one spectacular dl over years of work, and then there is the whole supply and demand deal... but good point.

#4... spiders, never have/never will (no offense anyone), I'm sort of old school and actually have a hard time with some new varieties or tets that are too synthetic looking in combinations of colors, but to each their own.

#7... I'm a beginner with old cultivars only here so yeah I agree. ha....
    #8 definitely should prove performance. and while I'm at it color is one thing but a lot more should go into form and performance. I'll agree.

well not that I care too much about any of this, just a simple home landscaper here but since you posted...

dean

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

All I can say is I live in zone 7 and I get rebloom every year! NAh- NAH- na NAH-NAH! Looks like you need to break out that trusty hose then! I agree on the EXPENSIVE ones! And Ok mabey its not an addiction I have, Mabey....its obsessive compulsive disorder! Yeah.. well it has to be something cause I just LoooooVe daylilies! And I guess there is always room for improvement weather it be with the plants, or our pictures! Hey, I like doubles, and spiders! Oh- and Ufs, and chicken fat... by the way I don't have any with the chicken fat, can't affort them, but I enjoy everyone elses pictures. And being sober is boreing! On that note lets make a TOAST....TO DAYLILIES!!!
    LOL... -Jessica

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

:o) Some thoughts before I join you in looking for those catalogs . . .

1. I'm probably one of the few that doesn't dab pollen (tried it once, couldn't get the seeds to germinate and figured I'd rather pay for someone else's trouble than wait three years to see a lousy creation of mine).

2. I agree, if I don't generally like the hybridizer's introductions. ;o) If I do, then they can intro as many as they want.

3. I'm in Michigan -- don't care about it.

4. I don't care for spiders, I DO like UFs, and it depends on the double. Once I saw in person a daylily with chicken fat edges, I decided I do like them after all.

5. I like this addiction. Talking about how good I've been NOT buying more expensive cultivars just makes me want them more. I'll stick with my present buying habits (lots of daylilies, but still haven't spent more than $75 for one).

6. Beautiful photos are terrific. But if someone loves daylilies enough to snap a terrible picture of one, and then posts it, I'm happy to look. I understand the need to share.

7. Couldn't agree more.

8. Ditto.

9. I'm in Michigan. What's rebloom?

Just my opinions!

• caliloo
    16 years ago

1) To me? No.

2) Amen, but not limited to DLs. Take into consideration the "designer puppies" Labradoodles, pugapoos, schnoodles, ad nauseum. Let's be honest, those are mutts and can be gotten at a local SPCA where it may cost you $100 or so and you get to save a life also.

3) I am really new to DLs and have never seen it. Of course, I will now jinx myself and it will be all over my garden this year. LOL!

4) Agreed. When I first started reading the message boards about DLs I actually thought UF was an abbr for "unfortunate" (aka ugly).

5) As a recent ex-smoker, I much prefer my plant addiction.

6) no comment - I am posting my fair share of questionable ones ;-)

7) Not me. I don't have many new OR old ones, so they all look good to me.

8) Yep.

9) Agreed. I hope for rebloom, but I would like some assurance of it!

Please remember, these are my opinions and as such I am entitled to change them at a moments notice. I am also a newbie to DLs.

Alexa