Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosier_nan

Help with ID

I know it's difficult to identify a daylily from a photo but I want your opinion on two Noids. The first was sold as Super Purple but it is not. It's a tet and Super Purple is a dip. I was able to set tet pollen on the flowers, but with dip pollen, pods shriveled and fell off. The same thing happened when I put dip pollen on South Seas when I first started hybridizing. (Back then the AHS database had only the original dip South Seas, which was registered but never sold. They released the name to be used on the South Seas we all know and love.)

I looked through the seller's catalog and the only one she listed that it could possibly be is Strutter's Ball. However, I can't seem to find a really good picture of it. Is this Strutter's Ball?

Nancy

Comments (13)

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The second was sold to us as Wishmaster. We contacted the seller and sent him a picture. He thought it is Answering Angels. I think it looks like the picture in the AHS database and its stats look similar too. Does it look like Answering Angels to you?

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

The first one is not strutter's ball, but, don't have a clue right now to its ID

jean

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I'm not familiar with Answering Angels, but I don't believe your first photo is Strutter's Ball. SB doesn't have that nice, pronounced watermark yours has. I prefer yours, whatever it is!

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

The first one isn't Strutters Ball as you've already been told, but the second one might be Answering Angels.
    kay

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help. I just hate having plants with no name. Sometimes I can identify them but we all know how difficult that is. No matter how often I get rid of them, I end up getting more.

Nancy

• jeanerz13
    9 years ago

Could the first one be purple kaboom? The color seems to vary from purple to fuscia... Check out the photo gallery at the site linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple kaboom

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

The 2nd one looks like it might be either Answering Angels or possibly Face Paint.

Linda

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeanerz13, the first one does resemble the picture of Purple Kaboom, but I doubt mine is that. We probably bought it in 2009 or 2010 from a seller who deals mostly with older daylilies. The color is a rich blackish purple. It really is pretty--a shame that it has no name.

Linda, both of those seem a possibility. I will check to see if the seller has Facepaint.

• dhabi
    9 years ago

The first one looks a lot like Cameroons to me ... I'm at my work computer right now, can't upload an image, but do a google image search for Cameroons and see what you think.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

The first one looks a lot like Lord Chamberlain.Here's a picture of it.
    Brad

Original Author
    9 years ago

Dhabi, do the sepals on Cameroons always twist like the picture in the AHS database? My Noid never does that.

Brad, Lord Chamberlain looks like a definite possibility. I checked the AHS database and the stats look similar. The age of the cultivar would be right too since the seller deals mostly with older, inexpensive daylilies.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Nancy

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I don't think the first one is Cameroons, which has a distinctive notched watermark. If it's older, it could be any one of a number of Munsons, Moldovans or perhaps Nordic Night.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

The second one doesn't look like my Facepaint, but I still think it might be Answering Angels. I too have having a NOID, even a beautiful one. Need the names!

kay