Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redpeony_gw

Rose Weevils and Lily leaf beetle!!!

redpeony
14 years ago

I returned from holidays this weekend and went out to my yard to see all the pretty flowers. I am instead extremely frustrated at the bugs that I am battling.

Last year I had trouble with rose weevils so I meticulously cut off all the infected blooms, that is every flower that I had once hoped to see bloom, and I tried to collect the weevils into a pail of soapy water. Alas, again I am inundated. What can I do?? Is there are chemical spray that will kill them? Do I need to remove all the bark mulch from anywhere around the roses? Does it work to put sticky tape around the base of the roses to stop them from climbing back up??

Then I went to look at my lilies that are starting to bloom, but one section of them have the lily leaf beetle. I just googled it, and that is for sure what it is. I thought they weren't as far west as Alberta?? Anyways, I manually picked off as many as a could, and I will go to my local nursery tomorrow to see what they recommend to stop the life cycle. Does anyone have any experience with this pest?

I generally like the bark mulch in my flower beds since they keep the weeds down, moisture in and I usually have lots of lady bugs in the spring since they overwinter there. Is the mulch the reason for my bug problem though? Don't most people on this forum use some type of mulch?

I can put up with some bugs, but I get quite impatient when the bugs are systematically destroying my show of blooms! Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Janet

Comments (9)

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

Insectical soap for Rose Weevils. And pick them off. Remove all mulch around the roses as well - the larvae hide in it.

Ah, Lily Leaf Beetle. Yes, they are in Alberta. They have been here for a couple of years at least. My MIL had a ton of them. I found one beetle on my lilies this year and squished it good, however just yesterday I found a ton of pupae covered in their poo-poo coat. I washed most of them off with the hose and scraped the rest off with my knife.

I highly recommend an insecticide for them. I hate using chemicals of any sort, "organic" or whatever, but Sevin is really your only choice. It breaks down within 24 hours. You need to spray the plants and ground with it, avoiding the flowers.

And you need to be diligent. They will be active right till freeze up.

• Pudge 2b
    14 years ago

Have you tried Neem oil?

• redpeony
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Shazam for the suggestions. I did actually pick up some Sevin today, but it was too windy here to use it. Instead I went and picked off all the larvae and adults that I could find on the lilies, and went searching for weevils too since I was out with a pail of soapy water to drown them in. Hopefully tomorrow I can get out and try to battle some more.

I have 3 morden sunrise roses that have been absolutely covered in buds, but I have had barely any blooms since the weevils decimiate each and every one. My other rose bushes have weevil damage, but some of the blooms actually do manage to open, although they don't look as nice as they could. I will work on getting the bark mulch moved away from the roses, but how far do I need to move it? My rose bushes are in the middle of mixed beds, won't the weevils just over winter a few feet over and then crawl back over to the roses?

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

The rose weevil larvae don't like exposed soil, so if you keep the mulch about a two feet away from the base of the roses, they'll have extreme difficulty crawling to the roses. The birds will pick them off.

God I hate using pesticides but if your rose weevil infestation is particularly bad you might want to use the sevin there as well. Even better, try finding a b.t. that can kill them.

I recommend sevin only for the lily leaf beetle because it has literally no predators here in north america. I'm hoping someone will find a b.t. that can kill it.

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Maybe the one zone difference is all they need, but from what I understand lily beetles are not hardy in most of the Canadian prairies. I have friends who got them from eggs in newly-planted lilies but they didn't return the next spring. Removing mulch or warm places might make the difference for you too.

Don't know anything about rose weevils, sorry.

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

The lily beetle may not be hardy in zone 3 and lower, but that doesn't really matter. They can decimate lilies in one season easily. The other big problem with them is that they're very mobile.

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

Okay, went out tonight and found a beetle. Sprayed it with pyrethrin spray. That killed it. Not that I think pyrethrin spray is all that safe, but if you need to use something organic there you go.

There were also a few more poop-pae. They've been busy.

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Oh yeah I totally get that losing all your lilies one year would suck. I'm just saying don't panic that you will never grow lilies again, because they likely won't be back the next year, and your lilies will. It takes more than one year of complete failure to kill a lily.

What's unsafe about pyrethrin? It comes from daisies and breaks down quickly.

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

The problem is that since the bugs are very mobile, they will find your lilies eventually, and probably sooner than later. So even if they're not hardy here, which seems unlikely (that it, they seem to be able to overwinter here), there's still a good chance they'll show up.

Pyrethrin is actually a pretty powerful nerve agent, as is the case with many insecticides. The problem is that insect nervous systems are actually pretty similar to ours. Humans have an enzyme that can break down pyrethrin before it does any harm, but young children don't actually produce that enzyme, so you can actually cause some harm to them with it. Also pyrethrin is terribly toxic to fish.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!