Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shear_stupidity

Wisteria

shear_stupidity
11 years ago

Ok, y'all. Throw me some tips, tricks, clues, hints...

I am determined that this year I am going to love my Wisteria. It came with the house and is rooted in shade. It has never flowered once because the trellis/arbor it grows on is also in shade.

I don't want to have to move the plant itself if I don't have to. I'm trying to think of a way I could train the plant so that the new growth heads for sunlight... but I'm terrified that once it gets that sunshine, I'm going to catch hell trying to contain/maintain it.

Here is what it looks like right now. I cut it back to this height every year because I don't know what else to do with it.

It has just started re-growing. It gives me anxiety just to look at it.

This is the area where it's planted. (It's on the close side of that arbor, behind the potted plants.) I am facing almost South. If I turned a bit more to the left, I would be facing South. So, this Wisteria gets no morning sun because of the house on the left (East). It gets no mid-day sun because of the two Laurel Oaks straight ahead (South-West). And it gets no late afternoon/ sunset because of the grapefruit tree on the right (West).

Here is the same view from further back. You can see how deep the shade is, even when the Laurel Oaks are half-bare.

I'm thinking about trying to grow it up and toward where I'm standing, which is full sun from morning to night. If I do that, will it run rampant? Here is where I want to run it out to... maybe a "tunnel" effect over the path?

Comments (12)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

I find it odd that it won't bloom for you in the shade. In South Carolina this stuff grows everywhere, even in deep woods settings and every spring/early summer the sides of the highways would explode in purple blossoms, even the ones in the shade. Last time I was up there, two years ago, the Wisteria was almost Kudzuu bad with its growth. I image with more sunlight, you could very well have a battle on your hands trying to keep it contained. That said, there's a house not far from me where the owner has trained their Wisteria to grow as a bush and it rarely gets more than eight feet tall. Every year when it blooms, I get more than a little ribbing from my wife saying, "I want one of those!"

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

Okay, do you know if that is an american or a chinese wisteria? I know from personal experiance that the chinese wisteria is very aggressive and once it's happy it can quickly take over. Wisteria is a perfect vine if you are wanting to make a tunnel with it but you will need to make some sort of arbor for it to follow. The arbor will need to be made of heavy duty materials or the vine will destroy it. My parents planted theirs on a chain link fence and within a few years of it being established it had twisted the top rail completely out of shape. As the vine ages though the stems will thicken up and it will eventually be able to support itself.

You don't need to cut the vine down each year in fact if you want to make a tunnel out of it you should only cut off the parts that head where you don't want them to go. You might have to spend some time weaving the vine in the direction you want it to grow. Keep it away from those trees on the other side of the driveway if at all possible because the vine will want to climb them and if it does it is fully capable of smothering them.

Also a happy chinese wisteria will send out underground runners and spread quickly. From what I understand the american wisteria is nowhere near as aggreesive.

The way that you are cutting it back each year may be what's preventing it from blooming. The soil it's growing in may also be depleted so you could try dumping some manure compost around it. I've seen wisteria growing and blooming just fine in partial shade so it should be blooming at least some where you have it growing.

Check out the tree tunnels post. The last picture is of a tunnel made of wisteria.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kara~ The tree-tunnel post is what made me think of my Wisteria. I don't know what kind it is, but I can guess it's probably the aggressive one.
    I let it grow on its own for three years before starting to cut it back like this. It never bloomed even then. It has reached out and grabbed the grapefruit tree, and this past summer it started spreading by runners. (Took a long time for that to happen, though)
    The soil is rich and full of worms on that side of the path. The plant seems happy enough, but will not bloom. (Actually, if it bloomed where it is, I'd leave it there)

Leekle~ This isn't side-of-the-road shade, this is dark-and-wet-even-in-Florida-in-July-at-noon shade.

If you want a cutting, just say the word and your wife can try to make a shrub out of it. I can send you cuttings or rooted plants.
    I imagine that in a pot, and pruned, it might be quite lovely.

Which may be what I end up trying myself.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

If it's wisteria sinensis, it has a very long juvenile period before it starts blooming, much longer than most vines. I've heard people say as long as 7 years.

• apapjim
    11 years ago

I don't think it likes Florida. We brought some down from Georgia 20 or 30 yrs ago and it has slowly declined since then. Just a few sprigs left now. Ditto dogwoods.

Papa Jim

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I didn't give enough information.
    This Wisteria grows 30-40 feet tall, AT LEAST, every year.
    It bloomed when we moved in here almost 6 years ago... but now the trees around it are bigger, so it gets more shade.
    It's not declining, it's just not getting enough sunlight to flower. Can it stay rooted in shade if the plant is trained to the light?

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Oh I know. I guess my chain of comments led to the idea that I was only talking about the ones on the roadsides, but I meant that the wisteria even grew in the deep woods and deep shade.

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be okay to leave the base where it is and train the vine to grow into the sun. You might also find out what type of soil a wisteria prefers and test the soil it's growing in to see if the nutriance balance has changed to something that wisteria isn't happy with in the last 6 years. I know that has happened in my parents garden and they actually lost some plants before they realized what had happened. They're garden is edged with massive limestone rocks and enough lime leached into the soil to completely change it. They're having to add garden sulfar to fix the problem.

• Gaffanon
    11 years ago

My firend and i both have Wisteria Chinese it seems to bloom on old growth not new that maybe why it hasn't bloomed for you. Its manageable but it takes some effort.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Kara. I've never had the soil tested here.

Gaffanon, it bloomed six years ago when we first moved in here. The following two or three years it didn't bloom, so I began cutting it back. I'll try leaving it for a year and see what happens with me training it into the sunlight.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

Hey Bridget
    When I had this problem with mine, which is the rampant, aggressive kind, someone or some book suggested shovel pruning. They said the decline in blooming has something to do with the roots, and wisteria will benefit from trimming the extensive root system out about a foot from the base.

I can't remember if I stayed in that house long enough to see the results the following spring. I had 6 of them I got little roots of from Michigan Bulb Co (what was I thinking?) and they just swamped the whole front porch, even with almost daily trimming and training.

And all I wanted were those yummy clusters of flowers like in the picture of the catalog!

Susie

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wth is root pruning? LOL!