Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickstang

Suggest Conifers For Next Year/Where To Buy

rickstang
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have designed a great landscaping plan next year that did consist of Green Giants, roses and about 100 other different annuals/perennials.

However, I saw in this forum some great looking conifers that I fell in love with! I never thought about incorporating these into my plans, but now I must.

I'd prefer:

That they stay smaller and don't grow like trees. Size would be somewhere around 1 foot to no more than 6 feet high. I definitely want a couple taller ones that weep to the ground and create a "skirt". Then maybe a few different kinds that are bright green or yellow in color that sit lower to the ground.

Also, if you could post pictures of each and perhaps a link to purchase that would be a great plus! I've searched for days and keep coming up empty.

Comments (6)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Girard's Nursery has Cupressus/Chamaecyparis nootkatensis cultivars such as: 'Jubilee'. That would be a good one. Photos at their website, I'll link ya.

Could you let the forum know your climate - where located is a good start. Anything else/ dry or humid; rain or drought; soil type and possibly ph if you know.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Girard's Nursery/Cypress

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Plenty of information and folks willing to help here Rick. I'd personally recommend Coenosium Gardens because of all the online conifer nurseries, I believe Coenosium offers the most unique/newest/best small conifer introductions. Others to consider are Porterhowse farms, Bloomriver(.com), Bethleham Nursery and Whistling Gardens(Canada). All of these nurseries sell quality conifers and will ship across the country.

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Gardens catalog

• rickstang
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Will I'll check out those sites. I visited the Coenosium Site and they have a lot of great stuff, but I'm just not to sure about their ordering process. You need to e-mail with what you want and send a check. I'd really like ordering from an online shop if I can. I'll definitely use them if I can't find the same stuff on another site.

I really enjoy seeing all those pics you have posted of your conifers. Just your posts alone really got me redesigning my idea for next year and incorporating them. Now I may be doing a rock garden in the middle of my bed with conifers and label each one with it's name. Then surrounding that bed have my perennials/annuals. I also have a lot of Thuja Green Giants going in the back for privacy. The entire bed will be around 175' x 30'. Would it look ok to mix the two species like this? I know in a lot of the photos you post they are all conifers together. They really look great like that, I just can't go without my colors.

Here's one that I absolutely need in my garden:

Gold Drift:
    {{gwi:601912}}

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

Is your bed 175 ft wide and 30 ft deep, and are the Green Giants taking part of the 30ft? There are a lot of postings about Green Giants on this forum, see the Search function. My neighbors planted a row of Green Giants, and they are now each 20 ft tall and 10 ft wide, growing 3 ft on my property, etc.
    The firefighter gardner Will shows that you actually need very few perennials, can have most of your plantings as dwarf conifers. Perennials have perhaps 3 weeks of bloom, are gone over winter, whereas conifers look good all year.
    Bernd

• rickstang
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep, the bed is actually 200 feet long and 30 feet wide. I'm planing the Green Giants in a zig zap pattern. I'm definitely going to have a lot of unique dwarf conifers. I just don't think I can do away with my colorful perennials.

I did make the mistake of buying perennials at a big box store this year. Had very few to select from. Planted them and a week later the flowers were gone. The perennials I'm looking at are more long bloomers (Different colors of knockout roses, hydrangeas, etc). Ones that are supposed to bloom spring till fall.

Here is what I'm still working on design wise. I still have more beds to add, but this is what I have so far.

The rocks will be some kind of smaller river rocks. The mulch will be a dark bark mulch. In the mulch section I'll still have some evergreens, just not as many evergreens as I'll have in the rock section.

{{gwi:53035}}

• johnplace
    13 years ago

Is that silver maple already on your property? If not, you might want to rethink that one. If so, carry on. :-)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!