Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thonotorose

Papayas are DEAD to me

thonotorose
14 years ago

And so are Dragon Fruit. I will never buy another grafted hibiscus, just the ones that can come back from their roots every year. I give up on the near tropicals and am going to concentrate on stone fruit and berries.

My order from Bay Laurel came in a couple of weeks ago and all were in the ground by the next day. They are Cooke's Pakistan mulberry, Chocolate persimmon, Florida King peach, Desert Snow nectarine and a white peach, Tropic Snow.

Since the three papaya patches are dead, I now have a place for apples and a plum. I've already planted two different blackberries at the base of the fence that the Dragon Fruits were trying to pull over. Those two cost me !!!$80.!!! early last spring.

Oh... and my chaya is dead too though the goji berry came through fine. First it froze, then a giant pine limb made a direct hit. I expect the bananas to recover and maybe the sweet potatoes are slumbering beneath the mulch.

On the other hand, the roses have absolutely no damage and are surging to their first big flush.

Comments (9)

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

Yea thank goodness for roses. too bad we can't eat them :-)

• marcia_m
    14 years ago

I'm sure I'll make mistakes as I choose things to plant in my yard. And I'm sure I already have but I don't know it yet! Roses and some hardy shrubs and evergreens are on my list. Now if I can just find them. I asked an employee at Lowe's yesterday when they will be getting their tree shipments. I was told that except for palms, citrus & tropical fruit trees, they get them only once a year around Sept. or Oct. That surprised me! I have lots to learn about gardening here.
    Marcia PA/FL

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

If you want more Chaya let me know. Cutting or baby plant. They grow fast.

• amberroses
    14 years ago

Wow sorry about the dragon fruit. Mine climbed up a tree and I could never get the fruit. Now the sections are dead and orange at the top. I can't wait for them to fall and hit my head. The bottom 2/3 is still green. You know how much I paid for mine? Zero dollars. When I still lived in an apartment one of the neighbors had a huge one and the sections would fall onto the sidewalk. I just took one that was on the ground and potted it up as a houseplant for 2 years. When I got some property I planted it and it really took off. It is my oldest plant. You should just find someone near you to give you one. This was the first winter since 2003 that it had any damage at all in my yard.

• nova_gw
    14 years ago

Veronica-Don't write off the chaya yet. Mine has frozen back to the ground every year since I have been up here in Marion County but it comes back bigger and better. If not, I do have rooted cuttings in the greenhouse!

My roses, too, are putting on new growth already. But I do have some freeze damage to cut back. Can't wait until I have some blooms!

nova

• featherhoof
    14 years ago

I'm with you, Thonotorose. Stonefriut indeed! When the university of Fl release Those low- chill cherries they're working on, I'll be all over that, too! I'd like to get more apple, too.

• thonotorose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marcia, Fall is a great time to plant here and there are LOTS of plant fests then.

Thanks, Coffeemom... As Susan (nova) says, I will give it some more time.

Amberroses, I gave many cuttings away in the last year so I may be able to find some, but I think I just haven't got the heart to see them freeze again.

Denise and Susan... Yay! for roses!!! Many have one or two almost ready to open and from the looks of them, a big flush following. I've put these on fort in the ground recently. Souv de St Annes, Lady Hillingdon and Mons Tillier. Devoniensis, Clytemnestra and Miss Atwood are next.

Me, too, Featherhoof. Did you see the ornamental cherry in that link palmcityfl posted in another thread? The prices are great, but I don't think they ship. Hmmm... road trip might be pending.

Here is a link that might be useful: Says it will grow as far south as Tampa

• smittee
    14 years ago

Dont do anything with the papaya but remove the dead stuff!
    MY three year old papaya has died completely each year down to the ground, GONE, NOT IN SIGHT, then spring came, an a few leaves, then the plant grew, and I got 45 plus papaya off it this past year.

• laura1
    14 years ago

I finally went out in the yard and started cleaning up. i was surprised to see some things making a comeback already.

But like so many others i am going to make selections that are winter hardy...especially things that I spend $$ on. But before I do anything I'm going to wait and see what survived.

I did get some blueberries that are begging me to plant them.

for 2 months I didn't do anything in the yard...spring is in sight. (she says with fingers crossed!)