Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joss_1

Wisteria id / vine suggestions for zone 10?

joss-1
15 years ago

Hi All... Does anyone know the name for a vine sometimes called "Florida Wisteria"? Since wisteria doesn't grow well in zone 10 (so I've heard) I purchased this "Florida Wisteria" and forgot the real name. Also, can anyone suggest a large flowered vine for zone 10? I would have liked clematis, but this is another not recommended for zone 10. A few years ago I saw a picture of people walking underneath a creeping vine that dropped down these 1 to 2 foot long skinny green string like arms each having a large exotic red flower at the tip. They were similar to a passion fruit flower, but the flowers were all up high hanging down on these long arms. I need to start writing these things down. I built a 32 foot long "tunnel trellis" to walk under and I'm trying to cover it with bouganvillia, wisteria and other tropical vines etc... Thanks for any suggestions. Joss

Comments (12)

• jonnys
    15 years ago

That sound really lovely. Im sorry I cant hep with your ID, but I would suggest you also plant passiflora edulis, lovely tropical vine. Good luck.

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

As bodiggly has said it's most likely Petrea volubilis. I got a baby one of these about 4" tall from D'Ann when we met last year and exchanged some plants. The thing has really grown, and I look forward to when it will bloom for the first time, but don't really know when that will be.

FlowerLady

Here is a link that might be useful: Petrea volubilis

• naomilovesflipflops
    15 years ago

Hi Joss- the second vine you mentioned sounds like thunbergia mysorensis. Check out the link below to see what you think. Cool vine for a tunnel type trellis.

Naomi

Here is a link that might be useful: t mysorensis

• bharfe
    12 years ago

Hi Joss,
    You posted a while back but I am guessing that the Wisteria is called American wisteria (W. frutescens). It is native to the FL panhandle. Although it grows like crazy, at least here in Gainesville, FL it is not considered invasive.

Here is an article if you are interested:
    http://www.examiner.com/gardening-in-gainesville/wisteria-for-florida

Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: article on American Wisteria

• June Garris
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a Bleeding Heart Vine and its beautiful. Large heart shaped leaves and small clusters of cacading red flowers that represents the bleeding part. Grows fast and can be cut to train and control. Would be beautiful on your trelis.

• Halfway There
    8 years ago

I'm in Zone 10 too. I believe the Florida version is called Queens Wreath aka Sandpaper Vine. The botanical name is Petrea Volubilis as others have stated, If the leaves feel rough to the touch like sandpaper then that's what you have. It's gorgeous. I have 2 planted under the posts of a bocce court and I hope to see them take off. One side is about 8 ft now with no blooms but the other is still at 2 ft with blooms. I'm sort of doing what you're doing and while it's slow going, there is progress. On the front 2 posts are the queens wreath and on the back posts I have Bleeding Heart on one and Alamanda on the other. In the middle I have bougainvillea. All vines have reached the top of the post frame so I have to make a decision quickly on how I will support them on top. I read somewhere here that someone used cattle panels successfully but I'm worried about rust staining the bocce court. The court is long but the trellised part is only the middle section, about 9' wide by 12' long. Dripping rust would look awful in the middle of the court. My other thought is using aircraft cables. I already have the holes drilled for it. Decisions, decisions. Here is a pic of a Queens Wreath. It's not mine.

• garyfla_gw
    8 years ago

hi

Incredible amount of choices !! Had always wanted to do that but lack the room. First thing to do is consider color choices and then research the choices as to growth habits .Many vines are incredibly invasive so require strong supports and relentless pruning. I grow both Queens wreath and mysorensis Both are fantastic but much different growth habits .

When I was in Costa Rica there was an area with a gigantic tunnel and they were growing Heliconia and Epiphyllums on it rather than vines WOW lol Of course there it attracted humming birds by the hundreds as well as butterflies and parrots .

Anyway narrow down your choices you definitely won't grow them all??

Hopefully you'll give us some pix as it progresses?? gary

• Joyce Stringfellow
    7 years ago

I live in zone 10 in Florida and have the Queens Wreath aka Sandpaper Vine growing over a trellis. It took a couple years for it to bloom fully, but it is very pretty when in full bloom. You might also try the Clock Vine or Blue Sky flower vine. I also have it growing in zone 10 and it has pretty blue flowers that look like morning glories, but they last much longer.

• bellagirl0614
    7 years ago

I love vines. I live in zone 10, southeast Florida. Right now I have Confederate Jasmine in full bloom, Carolina Jasmine, Bleeding Heart, Coral Honeysuckle that blooms like crazy, hummingbirds and butterflies love it, 2 types of passionflowers, although I don't know the names. I almost bought a Queen's Wreath, but I really have no place to put another vine :( Good luck!

• scogebear
    7 years ago

That's a beauty, I'd like to have one. I might suggest a Passion vine that you can get edible fruit from. I like the Confederate Jasmine and Rangoon Creeper for South Florida too. A large vine would also be a Flame vine, and it has spectacular blooms for a relatively short period. A little aggressive. We had one that covered our fence until Wilma took it all down.

• ms_gamester
    6 years ago

If you want a wisteria, you should get a wisteria. There is a wisteria developed for zone 10 called the Blue Moon Wisteria. It's sold by Stark Brothers for $15.99 as of July 2017. (I discovered your post when I was trying to find one for my zone, also 10, in the foothills of southern California--rocky, sandy soil with ugly, hot weather and some cold snaps. Finally decided I would build the pergola first, but I have to find out if it has to be permitted. If it must be, I'll put in an informal cedar trellis instead. *ugh*)

Keep in mind, the zone maps have to do with FREEZING temperatures. It's not carved in stone, and many plants that are NOT exposed to freezing (or non-freezing, as with the higher zones like 10, will be just fine--not like apples that need freeze hours. You need to know your plants (& area). If you're afraid that your plant will freeze, you can purchase gardening cloth to cover your plant in winter or while getting it started. The right kind will protect your plant from animals, certain amounts of freezing, and still ALLOWS water and sunlight through for very little $. (Short plants=cover gently and stake down.) Just don't use plastic (touching your plant). Think of your plastic wrapped fridge veggies--it lets cold right through. You can use a blanket or cotton sheet in emergency. Even a halogen lamp can save a small tree--just don't put the blanket/sheet over the lamp--hah!..fire! Be prepared. (Most folks won't go to the trouble of buying a can of anti-transpirant. [seals the plant from freezing for 3 months.]

Also, some areas have their own personal weather because of land formations, building walls, even boulders, fences, & some plants or trees. Properly sheltered, plants can thrive. You could have perfect zone, but put a plant in dead soil (low microbes/fungi), under-water, over-water, etc., and it could die. The gov'mt is giving us an "odds" chart--does it include freak weather?

I lived with small Passifloras in my dad's land around the farm. Never knew they grew as a big vine till this site. Loved them for their exotic beauty. All dad saw was "weeds."

Sorry for the epistle, but Good luck y'all!

P.S. Halfwaythere, for the cables you are considering using, there's a website that goes into rust, the breakaway strength & will lead you into stainless steel, coated, etc. (thecableconnection.com