Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Growing Mushrooms from plugs in logs...

Leu Gardens plant sale is an annual event that I look forward to each year. It's great to see the gardens as well as the thousands of plants and trinkets for sale. I wish that I took my camera like Silvia did. Silvia, the planted clock on the hill certainly was an eye catcher! It was nice that you posted that photo.

There was a vendor that I hadn't noticed in the past. He was selling wooden plugs inoculated with mushroom spawn. There were 100 plugs to a bag. He had shiitake, several varieties of oyster, and medicinal mushroom plugs available. I couldn't resist trying to grow something new. lol.

I went home with some phoenix oyster and shiitake plugs. Put hubby to work last weekend. Had him cut a young oak tree from our woods, then cut it into 4 foot lengths. He drilled about 50 small holes per log, then hammered them in. They are laying on the ground in a shady spot under the oaks.

Well, I would like to know if anyone else is growing their own mushrooms? How well is it working out? What advice do you have?

Christine

Comments (6)

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi Christine

I know nothing about mushroom growing but it looks like a nice hobby.
    I did not go to the Leu this year, I was at Echo. Cheryl went for me and she took the pictures that she liked. And bought some flowers and herbs and filled the planter that my brother gave me. I asked her if she saw anybody that we know like last year we saw you and Miranda, she said no that she was busy shopping. :)

Let us know about the results of the mushroom growing, shiitake are one of my favorite.

Silvia

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

That's really neat about the mushroom plugs. There was an active thread on mushroom growing on the Brugmansia thread not too long ago. If you go over and search that thread on the mushroom topic, it was pretty interesting. I've always wanted to try growing mushrooms. Let us know how they progress.

• cfldoc 9b Lake County
    13 years ago

We grew shiitakes in oak logs when we were in PA. I recall waiting a short time after the logs were cut before plugging them, the logs were not completely fresh. They lasted for several years before the logs were depleted. In late Winter we would soak the logs under water for a day or two to saturate them and stimulate a flush of mushrooms. I don't know how they would do here....can't remember what their temperature preference is. Good luck.

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Silvia - I saw a number of people that I know during the Leu Gardens plant sale last week but I didn't see Cheryl. Miranda had to work. I went with a gardening friend. I really wanted to go to ECHO Farm Day too but I didn't want to go alone. Hubby had a work meeting he had to attend. Hopefully, next year.

sultry - Thanks for the heads-up about the mushroom thread. I'll check it out soon.

cfldoc - The mushroom plug vendor sells spawn varieties (strains) that grow well here in Florida. The logs don't have to be fresh cut but they can't be very old either. Reason is, as the log ages other mushroom varieties may get into the log. Some could be poisonous.

I'm told that the shiitake mushroom logs can be soaked for about 24 hours five weeks after harvest to encourage a new flush of growth. The logs will only produce a certain amount of mushrooms so soaking will use up the supply faster. That's fine with me. If this works out well, we will probably grow many more. As for the oyster, I'm told not to soak them because they can't be forced. They will produce when they are ready. I'll keep you posted.

Christine

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

This is interesting. I've thought about trying mushrooms too

• organic_elizabeth_b
    13 years ago

Hi Christine,

I've been wondering about growing mushrooms but it seems all of the kits are super expensive. I am very keen to hear how the plugs go. Where they terribly expensive? Do you happen to have information or web site?

Any chance you'll be at Silvia's party and want to swap some plugs for something else?

Very exciting!

Elizabeth