Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin'

{{gwi:857036}}

{{gwi:857037}}

{{gwi:857039}}

Pinus densiflora 'Aurea' .. absolutely nothing ... will go look at the door and see if that has changed since the pix were snapped .... nope .. just as dull ... whaas' head would be exploding.. lol ... remind me once a month.. and we can track its coloration ....

{{gwi:857041}}

on these pix.. i apparently perfected the macro button on the camera .. no editing at all ... perfect ambient lighting for the closeup of yellow.. note how dull the day is.. it would have never worked in sunshine .... just another camera hint ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Comments (25)

• baxswoh
    12 years ago

Ken: Your Gold Coin looks to grow twice as fast as mine, but mine is twice as bright. Is that your regular color this time of year?

I also have the Densiflora Aurea and while mine are much more yellow than yours are they never compare to the Gold Coin. Do you think our very mild weather has played a role in their coloration?

• deltaohioz5
    12 years ago

This is what my Gold Coin looks like. Deer took out the leader several years ago.

Frank

• sluice
    12 years ago

The color differences are interesting. Taken this morning.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

frank is that pic today ... ???

its been extremely mild so far this winter..

ken

• deltaohioz5
    12 years ago

Yep, took it this morning between rain spurts. Looks like we are going to break the all time record for rain. I have never seen my pond this high.

Frank

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Can we see it!

• deltaohioz5
    12 years ago

Here you go whass. As you can see it's only an inch from the top of the overflow.
    Usually it's down between two and three feet this time of year but gets back to the bottom of the overflow with our spring rains.

Frank

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Very cool! I want to build a little island in the middle and setup shack right there.

How is it that the water is crystal clear?
    Do you have a filteration system on it?

At first I scrolled through quickly and actually thought the gator was real!

I'll take the blame for the hijacked thread.

• baxswoh
    12 years ago

Hey Frank-your Gold Coin looks like mine. I wouldn't worry about the deer taking the leader. Your plant has great character and your horizontal branching is very appealing.

• severnside
    12 years ago

Mine's still about this 'gold' : (((((

{{gwi:613075}}

Last February when bought so may colour up more yet. Judging by the shorter new growth it could be a need for fertilizing & a second+ year in the ground.

• Garen Rees
    12 years ago

Well, I've been creepin around in the shadows here for long enough as a forum lurker.
    I just recently took a picture of my tiny new Gold Coin and then saw this thread calling
    me to come out of my hermit shell and post a picture of the little guy.

I caught the conifer bug pretty bad this year thanks to all the wonderful people on this
    forum. I don't know if that's a good thing yet. I started seriously collecting this year
    and now have to tell myself to stop thinking about conifers everyday. All this thinking
    of conifers can't be good for my health or my wallet. Hmm.... but gardening can be
    therapeutic and relaxing. Ya, especially after a crazy day at work. Ya, that's right.

I had to laugh when I saw Whass's thread with all of his winter purchases lined up in the
    garage. I almost did the same thing lol. It's good to know that there's a place here for all of
    us. I don't have much to offer at the moment as I am more of the bumbling, uneducated,
    newbie gardener, but I hope to learn a lot without being too much of a nuisance and
    slowly share the progression of my garden in Southern Indiana. =)

Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin' 29 Nov. 2011

• severnside
    12 years ago

^^^ Fine specimen, I like the rock and look at all that SPACE!

Welcome here at last : ) you'll certainly be an asset.

• bengz6westmd
    12 years ago

Your pine is quite handsome, ken. I generally prefer "subtle" coloring.

My Wates Golden Virginia pine is similar, if slightly more yellow.

My experience w/the VA pine is that the needles that turn the brightest yellow by the end of winter, in fact, die & drop off as the weather warms. "Extreme yellowness" comes w/a price, at least for it...

• bengz6westmd
    12 years ago

Posted by starterdude 5aOhio (plantdude47@yahoo.com) on
    Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 14:45

Yep, took it this morning between rain spurts. Looks like we are going to break the all time record for rain. I have never seen my pond this high.

The Poconos Mnts NWS site (in northeast PA) has 80" rain so far for 2011. Others in PA are near records too. 52" here in the Appalachian rain-shadow -- ~11" above avg.

Here is a link that might be useful: PA NWS precip

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Garen, welcome aboard! Can't wait to see more pics...small, medium or large!

I can't get my darn camera to capture golds properly. If I put it on auto its washed out and if I put it on this expressive mode its somewhat proper but it hightlights the yellow a bit much so its a bit overstated. I'll have to tool around a bit more. Red is the other color I have an issue with.

{{gwi:857050}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

here is what you need to know

you will never get a good pic of golds/white .. WITH WHITE SNOW IN THE PIC ... period ..

ITS THAT CONTRAST THING I WAS TALKING ABOUT IN EARLIER POSTS ...

AND YOU WILL NEVER DO IT IN BRIGHT SUNSHINE.. oops.. especially in snow ....

try for pix at dusk ... when the sky turns pink ... if you walk outside.. and immediately squint.. just tell yourself you are not a professional photographer.. and put the camera away ... i suppose dawn would be the same.. but i am never walking the yard at dawn ...

put the camera on auto ... and then adjust the contrast or lighting .. in your photo editor ... [OF WHICH I HAVE NEVER FOUND PHOTOBUCKETS TO BE ANY GOOD ... THOUGH I NEVER SPENT ANY REAL TIME TRYING TO LEARN IT. ... dam caps key .. since i already knew my own editor ...]

in re your garage pic.. fluorescent lights lend a blue cast ... a whole different problem ...

the beauty of the digital camera.. is just take a note pad.. and take lots of pix with different settings.. until you find the setting that is best ...

ken

• deltaohioz5
    12 years ago

I forgot about this one.

whaas the pond is not filtered but I do filter the water from the pond to my pump house.

beng we are at 48", glad I don't live in the Poconos.

Frank

• texjagman
    12 years ago

This is my 4-5 footer. Our nights have been around 30 and days about 50 so it still has some color to go. By the end of January it'll be a nice bright yellow.

mark

• severnside
    12 years ago

These specimens are so good, damn.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I'll second the welcome for garen59. This post has it all: camera information (never helps), gold trees (not natural), alligator (scary), ......

and Mark, glad to see your garden thriving..

Also, good to see you Beng. I know you're around, we just don't see you that often.

Dax

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

Happy Holidays everyone. Been a while since I posted. Awesome photos of the Gold Coins out there! I especially like the more upright ones. Here is a shot of mine. Its turned pretty gold this winter, even though it has been a very mild winter for my area thus far.

Now, I have a question... Mine has scale on some of the needles. It shows up more when it was more green as yellow spots. Upon closer inspection I found that the yellow spots on some of the needles were being caused by small white insects that seem to have a sort of hard shell. They are rather small so you can't see them unless you are up very close. None the less they are scale. So what can I do to treat this guy and get rid of the scale for good? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Ken

Original Author
    12 years ago

hey ken

you should have done the scale issue in a new post.. only so others might see it ...

i use bayer systemic tree and shrub ... probably in spring when the roots become more active ...

i just dont have the attention span to fool with the precise timing from horticultural oils ...

if your GC is in that pot with the rocks.. it might be time to plant it.. or at least up-pot ...

ken

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

Hey Ken,

Thanks. Yes that is the pot I bought it in. It is getting potted up (with most everything else) this spring (march?) I have a list of things that need potted up so I definitely have some work to do this spring, being that I'm mostly a container grower. I'm going to be using pretty much what amounts to Als Gritty mix. Same ingredients, maybe just not as finely tuned (read sifted) unless I get around to making a sifter.

If you think it would be better to start a new thread on the scale issue, I can do that as well. I do have photos of what it looks like close up. In fact, here is one I took last summer about a month after I bought it. Its not the best pic (taken with my old iPhone 3G) but I think you can still see the blotchy discoloration on the needles and the small white dots that are the scale insects.

Anyway, If people here think I should start a new thread about that particular thing I will do just that and include these photos as well.

Thanks very much! Ken

• texjagman
    12 years ago

I don't know if I'd say my garden is thriving....I had to replace about 2/3 of my stock after that unending heat wave this summer. Just couldn't keep new plantings watered enough and even lost some old specimens.

But I'm back now...in attitude and garden.

mark

• severnside
    12 years ago

But I'm back now...in attitude and garden.

That's great, I remember as it was happening for you and others the posts of desperation to shade and water as stuff went brown. Glad you're bouncing back : )