Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

batten down the hatches!

mary_lu_gw
13 years ago

Sounds like we might be in for a rough ride the next 2 days! They are forecasting winds picking up over night and by tomorrow sustained winds of 35-45 mph with wind gusts up to 60+ mph. This is supposed to continue through the day on Wednesday as well! They are predicting trees down and power outages.

Just watched the 10 PM weather and they have just issued a tornado watch for my area until 6 AM as well. Oh boy, it could be a rough night already tonight!

After I got home from work tonight I went around the yard and picked up/put away anything that might blow in that kind of wind. Put the glass top patio set in the garage and other various things. Think I have most everything put away. Then I went around and cut some of the roses that are blooming yet, as the wind will probably destroy the blooms anyway. Thought I would share my "plunk" bouquet with you.

Hang on tight everyone and stay safe!

Comments (14)

• scully931
    13 years ago

Oh, they're so pretty! Love that orange one.

• janepa
    13 years ago

Hope everything is okay there, Mary lu. When we watch the weather I always check to see what is going on 'in your neck of the woods' and saw that it might get nasty. TAKE CARE!

Your roses are beautiful. Everything is pretty much over in my garden with the exception of some asters and butterfly bushes, and I was really surprised to see buds on the new honeysuckle I just planted in August. I hope they have a chance to open before it gets to cold. It is 'Gold Flame', which is to have a long bloom season. I am also anxious to see if the fragrance is as good as they say it is.

Stay safe. Jane

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

PLEASE STAY SAFE, I hope your garden doesn't suffer too badly, old mother nature sure can get her nickers in a twist at times. My DH had quite the run in with freak weather a few weeks ago and had to hike out over a mud slide. He went for a relaxing week of trout fishing and ended up in a disaster area.
    Mary Lu, your rose bouquet is gorgeous, my garden is kaput for the year.

Annette

• thinman
    13 years ago

We are supposed to get the same thing, though without the tornado watch. I hope my hoophouse makes it through OK. Good luck to you, MaryLu.

Nice roses!

ThinMan

• grandmachris
    13 years ago

We have an hour before it's set to hit here. The wind is up already. I got two big way-carts full of sugar maple leaves deposited in their piles. I didn't need any more on my East border but I hope the remaining leaves will disappear with the storm. Seventeen sugar maples is more than anyone needs! But they're like children: which one would you give up? I planted 3 pots of obedient plant. I
    don't know why that one has been hard for me to keep. Going out now get the last few blooms and then hunker down.
    Through Indiana the wind's been fierce but the hard rain seems to blow through in a half-hour or less.

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

May all those in these storms be safe. Tornadoes are very frightening to me and I've not been in one.

FlowerLady

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Gorgeous roses Mary Lu!

Hope everyone in the path of this storm is safe. I heard on the new this am that it's heading for eastern Canada. It's really cut a wide swath of destruction.

Grandmachris, I wish I lived downwind from you, we have so few leaves I have to scrounge from others!

• thinman
    13 years ago

It's still blowing like stink out there, though sunny, but I went out and took a pic of my hoophouse. It coulda been worse. A few of the hoops have come loose and most of the plastic too, but the plastic doesn't seem to be ripped too badly. Mostly just moved around. I'll find out more tomorrow when it calms down and I can get it spread back out.

Hope everyone else is faring at least as well.

ThinMan

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ThinMan, sorry about your hoop house. Hope it survives and that the plastic isn't too badly torn. The winds are even worse here today than they were yesterday. When I came home for lunch just now, there are tree limbs laying all over the streets. So far we haven't lost power though. Didn't notice any trees down either. Hope it stays that way!

Hang on tight!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Take care. My friend is up there for emergency assistance. He is an engineer of roofs, and was called in to help out in emergencies for large buildings. I hope everyone manages to fair well enough. Story Thinman for your hoop house. This is one doozy!

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

We are still dealing with the storm fallout here. The power was out yesterday until about 9:30 pm. Then it went out again this afternoon! Plus, my arbor got knocked over. My clematis didn't get uprooted, thank goodness, but it definitely got a severe pruning!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

I hope everybody fared OK with the crazy storms. It sounded awful on the news.

Irene, I hope your arbor made it OK. Glad to hear your Clematis weren't uprooted.

Thinman, would you possibly mind starting another thread about your hoophouse? What's in it, what's the orange on the ground, what overwinters, where the plants go, etc. It looks very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen your hoophouse in pictures before or heard anything about it. If there was a prior thread if you don't mind directing me there, that would be great. Sorry about the damage. Hope it was/is easily fixed.

• thinman
    13 years ago

Susan, I can't remember if I have posted any pictures of my hoop house here in cottage gardens. I do have some info on it on a blog where I post things whenever the spirit moves me. You can check it out if you want to.

TM

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

It sounds like everyone made it through with minimal damage. I'm really glad to hear that. We had tornado warnings here but were missed thankfully. I've never been in a tornado and living in a mobile home I don't want to be. If anyone one lost a certain plant and don't have seeds for it please let me know. I have quite a selection and would love to help if I can.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor