Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Thoroughbred Daylilies Trip

shive
15 years ago

Last weekend I attended the Daylilies In the Heart of Bluegrass Gala at Thoroughbred Daylilies, owned by John and Annette Rice. This was the Kentucky leg of Northern Mecca, which is now spread out over multiple weekends because of variances in peak bloom. It was a wonderful experience, and I was awestruck at the Rice's greenhouse and thousands of seedlings.

Here's the barn where we registered. The fabulous buffet line with mass quantities of country style picnic food was in the barn too. Boy, was that some good eating!

Rice's barn

{{gwi:844137}}

I has hoped to see BASS GIBSON, RUCKUS, LOTUS POSIION and TRIFECTA in person, but they were not blooming last Saturday. It was a cool day, so the toothy ones and blue eyes were not at their grandest. Here are some Rice intros that were in bloom:

SOMETHING ANGELIC, which was really much bluer-looking in person

{{gwi:844139}}

CROWN OF CREATION

{{gwi:844141}}

BLUE VOODOO

{{gwi:844142}}

SCIENCE OF MIND

{{gwi:844143}}

STEVE TODD was in the greenhouse and so tall I couldn't get a really good photo

{{gwi:844145}}

Here are some selected Rice seedlings that impressed me. I'm not sure which ones will be future intro, but they are keepers under further observation.

Toothy seedling that most impressed me

{{gwi:844147}}

Eye no edge toothy seedling

{{gwi:844149}}

These seedlings were in the gigantic hybridizing greenhouse. Many of them likely will be future intros.

Rice red seedling with fat gold edge

{{gwi:844150}}

Rice patterned eye seedling

{{gwi:844152}}

Rice blue-eyed seedling

{{gwi:844154}}

Orange seedling with gold teeth

{{gwi:844156}}

Dip UF seedling Rice is converting

{{gwi:844157}}

The greenhouse where John hybridizes was a great place to take photos. It acted like giant soft box, providing the perfect lighting. And, there were pristine blooms on recent intros by other hybridizers. Here are some I loved.

BORN TO RUN by Stamile

{{gwi:844158}}

MORT MORSS by Salter- Mine has never looked this good! Maybe I need a greenhouse...

{{gwi:844160}}

MARY LISA CARTER - couldn't find the hybridizer on this one

{{gwi:844162}}

PLACES IN THE HEART by Tim Bell

{{gwi:844164}}

DELICATE DETAILS by Jeff Salter

{{gwi:844166}}

FRIEDA ALLEN JERRELL by Vic Santa Lucia

{{gwi:844167}}

MAGNIFICENT HUMMINGBIRD by Lambertson

{{gwi:844168}}

BANDITO ROJO by Santa Lucia

{{gwi:844169}}

I had hoped to take some panoramic views of the greenhouse and pond with lotus flowers, but right after supper it began poring rain. Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Debra

Comments (15)

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, Debra, just fantastic. You must have had the greatest time. Thank you so much for sharing these pictures with us.

I know I only have one Rice intro which is SOMETHING ANGELIC. I can see that I am going to have a good look at Rice daylilies for possible future additions to my garden as it looks like there some super stunners to be had.

• bluenosens
    15 years ago

Wow. Love them all. Great shots. I'm excited to see my Annette's Magic has buds...Candie Dwyer hasn't formed any yet...both were planted last year.....Also enjoyed your other postings...cheers, lloyd

• jumpin4joy
    15 years ago

Sounds Like you had a wonderful time. I wish I lived closer. Im Jealous!

• david06
    15 years ago

Mary lisa carter is Paul Owen of slightly different nursery. he is a Hybridizer from polkville North Carolina. Great pics.
    David

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tour, Debra.

It just amazes me how far the hybridizers have come from the few original species of DLs!

It would take me too long, skimming through the photos, to choose a favorite - they're all exquisite!

Thanks for sharing,

Julie

• ladylovingdove
    15 years ago

Simply spectacular pics, thanks so much for the tour. I always suspected that the big hybridizers took their pictures inside a greenhouse. I think you just confirmed that. Born to Run has been very splotched for me, probably thrips damage. It looks perfect there. Thanks for posting.

Dot

• tjhemmer
    15 years ago

Good company, good food and good daylilies. Does it ever get any better than that?

I had to make a trip last week that went fairly close to their place and thought about stopping, but I had a long way to go (10 to 11 hrs driving) and decided to pass it up. I still wish I would have stopped.

Great pics

Tom

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Just fabulous...thanks for the tour.
    Jan

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

David - Thanks so much for letting us know who hybridized MARY LISA CARTER. I was highly impressed by that daylily. I've bought from Paul Owen before and saw his presentation at the Region 10 Midwinter Symposium, but MARY LISA CARTER didn't stick in my brain. It's just a gorgeous flower in person - much prettier than my photo.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I guess that fabulous red daylily isn't Mary Lisa Carter after all. I looked MLC up on Paul's website and that daylily is lavender with an edge. Either I didnt' write down the name of the red, or they had it mislabeled. I know thy had another one labeled Sharon Joker and it was really Wilkerson's Olly Olly Oxenfree. Wish I knew who that red really was.

Debra

• gonegardening
    15 years ago

Wonderful pictures, Debra! I was there on Friday afternoon...in between rain showers! I just loved loved loved being in the greenhouse! Everything looked so grand...and like the pictures! I'm still getting used to my camera (my excuse) and/or maybe I need to change the lens as I had trouble getting tags on some...boohoo. At any rate, I did get a fair amount okay...including Lotus Position and Trifecta...I'll get around to putting it all up on my blog one of these days!

Wish I could have gotten to some of the other places, but we were just flying by. I did get to Valley of the Daylilies on Sat., however.

So many pictures, so little time...

• numama
    15 years ago

Just AWESOME Debra! Your pics are BEAUTIFUL! Definitely will have to make the northern trip one year! All the Rice cultivars do so well for me here. Sounds like it was my kind of HOEDOWN....thanks for sharing all these fantastic photos!
    Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gonegardening - Please post your photos of Lotus Position and Trifecta. I really want to see those.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the photos! Nancy, I guess it was a hoedown. LOL I'd love to visit Thoroughbred again when it's not so hectic.

Debra

• mlwgardener
    15 years ago

OOOOOOH!!!AAAAAAAH!!!! I thank you so much for sharing all you fantastic photos. I can only dream of seeing these wonders. I bet it was a site to behold. Mona

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals