Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabear_gw

new heritage daylily species register

mamabear
10 years ago

I found this Site while looking for a Old Daylily.
Now I'm not sure my Kwanso Flora Pleno truely is one.
Can Someone tell me how to measure Properly?
I have been measuring from the Ground to the top of the Scape (not Buds) and the Largest point of bloom.
Is that right?

Here is a link that might be useful: HERITAGE DAYLILY SPECIES REGISTER

Comments (6)

• Ed
    10 years ago

The picture is not H. fulva 'Flore Pleno'. "Flore Pleno' is always the double form. In fact, I don't recognize your plant as a daylily species plant. The closest would be H. fulva 'Rosea', but it normally has a darker eyezone.

Scape, or flower height would be measured from the ground to the top of the scape and averaged. Flower size would be the diameter of a circle that would just fit over the flower, and is expressed as width.

Good luck, Ed

• mamabear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh that Picture is not of My Flore Pleno.
    That is a Picture of the One I was Searching the Web for and Happened upon that Site. But now I'm wondering if Flore Pleno is that as it was here when I came almost 30 years ago and is a 38" not 40" Scape

• mamabear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The First Picture Posted I was looking for might be Pink Damask.
    What do you think?

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Could be Pink Damask, I'm no expert though. Difference in lightig but here is my Pink Damask

I could never judge the ID of a daylily based on the difference of 2". Some of mine grow several inches taller or shorter than listed. And season is completely out of whack to me. My mid season daylilies may bloom with my early season, etc. sometimes it varies from year to year. I imagine the grower makes these determinations based on where he/she is locatd & not where I am, but it can make it hard to make a confident ID sometimes.

• dementieva
    10 years ago

Yeah, I think 38" and 40" are basically the same thing. The scape height measurement is an average and it varies by climate, sunlight, fertilization, etc.

Nate

• Ed
    10 years ago

Yes, 38" and 40" would easily be the same plant. Scape height varies in growing conditions and also initial season bloom versus rebloom. The scape height is an average. The hybridizer tries to provide a height that you can reasonably expect when the plant is grown in decent growing conditions, and is probably the result of averaging scape height over several seasons.

Bloom season is relative to your growing area, and may take place at different times each season. Rely on season marker plants to tell you what the bloom time is.

Don't think it's PINK DAMASK.
    Ed