Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystalmt04_gw

Daylily dying?

crystalmt04
13 years ago

Hello!

I'm brand new to this forum as well as to gardening. I planted one daylily plant about a month ago in a raised flowerbed in my backyard. At first it seemed to be doing well, it was blooming every day. Now it's not making any flowers at all and seems as if more and more foliage is dying, but I'm not sure.

When I first planted it, we were getting rain almost every day (which is rare for San Antonio summers, but it was because of Hurricane Alex). I dug the hole and mixed the soil with store bought compost mix. I took care to not let mulch touch the bottom of the plant, but I'm wondering if maybe it's planted too deep? I'm also wondering if maybe I'm not watering enough. I typically water my beds every couple of days, but I'm not always consistent.

Here are pictures of what it looks like (sorry for them being so big).

Maybe I'm not watering enough? The location of the flower bed is a south facing wall that gets a lot of sun. Please help! I love these plants and want to plant more. BTW it's the orange flower variety if that makes a difference.

Comments (7)

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

Hi Crystal,

Welcome to the daylily forum! You can join the ranks of the rest of us gardening addicts. :>)

Your daylily is not dying, daylilies grow from the center outward and then shed their old outer leaves. And most daylilies bloom for part of the season; early season, mid-season or late season ... but don't bloom all season long.

Though, to confuse things, there are a lot of daylilies that will rebloom after their inital bloom, but not all.

Sounds like you are doing everything right .. though I'm not sure about how much watering you should be doing in your hot climate, it's very different than my own climate.

Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Crystal,
    Give it a deep watering about every 5 days. Really a deep watering, not just a spray. It looks fine. Just pull off the old dead leaves and you will feel better. Daylilies do that, just like Pam said.
    kay

• crystalmt04
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Pam & Kay, I feel better now. I watered it well the day before I posted the pics, and will clean up all the dead stuff tonight. Do I need to clip the stem (or scrape I think it's called?)? I think I read somewhere that you're supposed to trim this once it's done blooming?

• mizellie
    13 years ago

Crystal, I see new growth inside the clump. Just trim the dead stuff and water as instructed by Kay. You will learn as you hang around the addicts forum...Ellie

• Ed
    13 years ago

When you planted the daylily, was it potted or was it dug with the roots exposed? When exactly did you plant it?

I notice black mulch, I think. Be careful getting it too close to your plants as it absorbs sunlight and causes excessive heat. Over-watering and excessive heat may cause crown rot and may kill the plant. I'm very careful watering July through September.

There is an excellent Daylily Organization in San Antonio, see the link below, where you might get some local advice.
    Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio Daylily Society

• crystalmt04
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ed,

The plant was potted, I bought it from a local nursery. I planted it the last week of June.

I've felt that I haven't been watering enough, like I said I'm never consistent and need to get myself on a schedule I guess. This is why I thought maybe it was dying. I read somewhere about not letting mulch touch the plant so I tried to create sort of a dirt ring around the bottom with no mulch.

I have actually wondered about the color of the mulch getting too hot, but this is what our landscaper put down so I just bought some more to throw down for the rest of the summer.

Thanks for the link! I will definitely check that out because I want to put these plants everywhere (love them!)

• Ed
    13 years ago

I don't think it is dieing. Most daylilies have some yellowing of the foliage after bloom and some tolerate summer temps better than others. I think it just needs some time to get better established. Most daylilies are pretty tough and if you just give it some water when times get really dry, it should do fine. There are some fine folks over your way involved in daylilies. I encourage you to get to know them.
    Good luck, Ed