Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ah9200

Please help me identify these herbs.

AH9200
10 years ago

I inherited a garden in my new home. I have no idea what they are but am really excited to learn.

{{gwi:888971}}

{{gwi:106533}}

Comments (9)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

1(top) I believe is LEMON BALM
    2ND from top looks like shiso = perilla
    3rd =? dont know
    last one is somekind of mint

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Top one isn't lemon balm but I can't say what it is. Could almost be Glechoma hederacea, Creeping Charlie, but not sure what the scale is. You also have Lamium purpureum in there which is an annual weed.

The second appears to be Stinging Nettle, Urtica dioica. There's a very quick way to find out for sure!

Three is Ruta graveolens, Rue.

Four appear to be a Rubus ie Raspberry.

Five is a Mentha, Mint species or cultivar.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Second looks like Stinging Nettles. I just got some in the mail! Supposed to make a great tea for arthritis. Please wear gloves when handling it! It is called Stinging Nettles for a reason!! Also read if you boil it like spinach the stinger part disappears and it tastes like spinach. Definitely not something you want to seed into your yard! The last picture looks like peppermint to me. It makes a nice tea. I found out the hard way that herb teas are clear. Not brown like regular teas. Tasty with a little honey added.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

I agree with Flora on all counts.

BTW, a lot folks call "creeping charlie", "ground ivy." Maybe you are more familiar with that name but it has a lot of other names as well - hedge maids, ale hoof, gill-over-ground....

FataMorgana

• weedlady
    10 years ago

1. Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea)
    2.Nettles with Lamium purpureum down to the side
    3.Definitely Rue
    4. Pretty sure this vine is the native wild clematis, virgin's bower (Clematis virginiana)--NOT a rubus! Leaves wrong and raspberries do not vine but form canes.
    5.Does look like a mint. Smell it! :-) That will remove any doubt.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I also think #4 looks like clematis. The rest I think are zeroed in on.

• florauk
    10 years ago

I am equally certain it is not a Clematis. Many Rubus have trifoliate leaves. The leaflets are also heavily veined and corrugated unlike Clematis. And finally you can see dead canes with shrivelled flowers/fruit from last year in the picture. I see no vining habit - only lax canes.

• gvozdika
    10 years ago

Totally agree with florauk, it is raspberry. At the very top of the picture you can clearly see the new growth coming from the dry stem with berries.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I guess I didn't look hard enough at the photo. I just thought the "clematis" was growing up some dead stems. I can see when I look at the leaves that they aren't like the clematis ones I am familiar with that have a definite rachis between each leaflet and the main rachis. So I stand corrected. Thanks.