Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjlyttle

frog poop on window ledge

kjlyttle
16 years ago

Does anyone else have this problem? I can try to post a picture if anyone really wants to see...

I know its frogs, actually - it's large tree frogs that sit in my window ledge at night and poop. Not only does it stain my window ledge (which I am not terribly concerned about) it runs down the wall below the window and that stains. I have a beautiful back yard and I enjoy sitting in it (especially with the 4 screech owls) but when I see the frog poop running down the house, it irks me. I have tried scrubbing it and it doesn't come off. I love having the tree frogs in my yard, but I just wish they would choose another place to rest. Does anyone have any suggestions for either cleaning the poop off my house or for deterring them from my window ledges?

Thanks so much!

K

Comments (13)

• zozzl
    16 years ago

I have some experience with bird poop and I have always had to use very hot water with dish soap for that. Maybe after you get it cleaned up you could coat it with vaseline and then it would be easier to clean up?

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

I have sliding doors on my porch and they are made of some sort of tinted Plexiglas. Nothing is supposed to harm them., Yeah Right. That tree frog poop if not gotten off asap will just about destroy the Plexiglas. I have one spot that is unreal.

No offense TreeFrog, I have been wondering why you chose that name?

They are a pain.

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

they seem to like the light. No light, and they won't sit and poop . I guess you have to sit in the dark in that room ;-)

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Not at all sure I want to get involved in this discussion.

• kjlyttle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Please don't get me wrong... I love having the tree frogs in my garden/yard... I don't want to eradicate them, just deter them from sitting/resting thus defecating on my window ledges if at all possible. And if anyone else has this issue, how did they handle it and clean up all the dripping poop.
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    K

• sooth
    16 years ago

Kjlyttle, maybe a small collection of smooth stones/rocks/pebbles placed across the ledge would deter the froggies? Using different sizes and shapes, rounded, can use pretty polished ones ...Imagining frogs still trying to get up on them: but by your careful placement with the stones being purposefully a tad unstable, would drop to the ground, taking the frog with it. Then just place the collection back onto the window ledge as needed. Possible positive...it would give a little bit of a nice quiet zen feel; and one possible negative...if a pebble falls into the lawn, it could get lost in it, and then might become a tiny projectile at the next mowing. Maybe keep a count of how many on each ledge, to help prevent that type of accident.

• delta_charlie
    16 years ago

Hi Abendwolke and the group, I think you nailed it:

"they seem to like the light. No light, and they won't sit and poop"

I think what is going on is bugs are drawn to the light and the tree frog makes an easy meal. (I have seen toads do this under street lights). Perhaps you could try darking the window at night using curtains and maybe even put a night light outside near by to move the action away so the poop gets left someplace else.

Hope this helps, DC

• fossil
    16 years ago

How about glueing/attaching a piece of sheet metal to the window ledge to create a little overhang so that the frog material drops straight down instead of drooling down the wall?

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

I'd put a layer of liquid dishwashing soap on the sill. The frogs have porous skin, and I doubt they will enjoy soap in their pores. The slippery soap will also make clean-ups easy, just squirt it with a water hose. The soap will not hurt the paint, it will protect it by repelling stains.

Using a dark curtain inside to block the light is also a great idea.

Lisa

• cindeea
    16 years ago

We have a high entrywaw with a large arched window over our front door. The ugly cuban frogs sleep up there all the time and crap all over our front entry sidewalk....grrrrrr

What's the matter treefrog, afraid someone might chase you down with a bottle of Joy dish soap??? lol

• nikkers
    16 years ago

I have a porch light that comes on at dusk and goes out at dawn. It attracts tree frogs because the bugs flock there. Try a light away from your windows, it MAY work.
    If you think you have trouble with frogs, do I have a story for you?
    A couple of years DH and I went to a retreat in a conservation area in Ocala. They had this huge common room with a wall of ceiling to floor windows. Meetings were held there after dark. The windows were plastered with thousands of frogs. They seemed to be small barking frogs They crawled around like roaches! Personally, I thought it was awesome, but some others were totally grossed out.
    FLORIDA!!! I love it, frogs, lizards, snakes and all!
    Jo

• HU-938439084
    3 years ago

I have frog drippings on the porch floor right at the door. Embarrassing to have be open the door and step over the mess. Have to clean weekly.