Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megaul

Pictures needed: My three new hostas

megaul
16 years ago

For our 30th anniversary this summer, we treated ourselves to a new patio in the back yard and a new walkway in the front. That was pretty exciting, made even more exciting when I found I had room for a few more hostas.

I purchased Olive Bailey Langdon, El Nino, and Pineapple Upsidedown Cake. El Nino, I"ve been coveting for some time. The other two have gotten good remarks from here on the forum. I also added a few cuttings of some of my favorites I already had, and moved a few as well.

I would love to see your mature pictures of the three I purchased so I can day dream about how the area will look when it's mature.

Patience has never been my strong suit. :-)

Comments (13)

• koidom
    16 years ago

I wish I could find ones like that around in my area. Pineapple Upsidedown Cake is really intresting and the other two are lovely :) Of course I don't have any pictures for you :(

• Janice
    16 years ago

I don't have any of those either, Marsha! I lost PUC and OBL over the winter--but, congratulations on your anniversary!!
    We just celebrated our 39th on the 10 of this month!

I also got a new sidewalk AND new and larger front porch with a larger planting area done in landscape block.
    I think I bit off more than I can chew this summer with that bigger area to be filled!!!!

Hope you get some pics.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Here's a link to my OBL. I will try to get a photo of PUDC for you today. They are both awesome!

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Alphabet - P

• megaul
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Janice, congrats on your 39th! Will be waiting for pics of your larger planting area. BTW, loved your floating deck. Didn't have time to comment when I first did a 'drive by read' of the forum a few days ago.

Alexa, your OBL is beautiful!! Hope mine turns out equally as nice as it matures. Isn't it funny how the babies or hosta 'youth' look nothing like they will when an adult. Kind of like people...

Hope you have time to get a photo of your PUDC. My young one is already rather unique looking. I checked out the hosta library and have an idea what to expect. I do find the pictures here on the forum often more dramatic and spectacular than those at the library. There are some really good photographers here.

• toymr2mk2
    16 years ago

Here is one of PUC a couple of years ago.....Art

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

I don't have OBL. El Nino and PUDC are 2 of my very favorites. Neither is "mature," but each is growing well.
    Bought El Nino locally as a very tiny one-eyed baby in Sept. 2005. I like the contrast of the white edge better than the creamy edge on my Aristocrat and a few other blue and cream hostas that I have. I also am realizing that I like hostas with pointy leaves best.

Bought PUDC in August 2005 with several eyes. I don't have anything else that looks anything like it, which is one reason that I like it.

Hope somebody can locate some more mature specimens for you. They must be gorgeous when really big!

~Bunnycat

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

I don't have any of those, just wanted to say PUDC is certainly striking. Thanks for sharing the photo Bunny.

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

Thanks, Bean.

BTW....I have a second PUDC, purchased from Hallson's last year. It is almost as big as the one I bought the year before. It came with 14 (!!!!) eyes. I see Hallson's still has them for $12.99. (Just enabling a bit, ha ha)

~Bunnycat

• megaul
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bunnycat,

Thanks so much for posting the pics. Those are two gorgeous hostas. I'm going to be very happy with my choices!

• deebs43
    16 years ago

Art, is that your puppy peeking out between the plants? Great photo! :-)

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

I didn't see the puppy until deebs mentioned it. Like a 'where's Waldo' picture;~) Cute!

• toymr2mk2
    16 years ago

Yes thats one of my little ones. She loved to play and lay around under the hostas. Now they are guarding over her.
    Art

• papou
    16 years ago

Marsha,
    Pineapple Upsidedown Cake has amazed me this year as the leaves changed color with the warmer temperature. It is slug-free, grows in a compact, nice clump. My PUC is 4 years old:

Papou