Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vall3fam

My first ribbons!!!!

vall3fam
15 years ago

I entered four jars of jams and jelly in our county fair. I just came back from there tonight and I won blue on pomegranate jelly, second on strawberry and seedless boysenberry jams, and third on blueberry jam. I'm just tickled pink!

I've never entered before because I didn't think my stuff would possibly be good enough, but look what happened!

My nephew loves the pomegranate jelly but now it's going to cost him something because it's blue ribbon jelly! His grandma and my m-i-l Betty is looking down from heaven just pleased as punch that I'm continuining her jelly tradition!

Elaine

Comments (9)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

See, and you though canning was hard to do 'grin'. Its times like these that give newbee home canners some new goals to reach next year. Pomagranates have become very popular in just the last few years, and with the popularity, as well as the speed, ease and abiliity to extract the juices without seeds, they are a great juice. Making a jelly with them, as well adding raspberry, and cranberries, in the same spread also is a nice combination. Apple juice added instead, or just one other added juice. I bet they also judged on color quality too. Congrats!

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! and Congrats!

Four ribbons on your first time entering is quite an accomplishment and says a lot about the love and care that goes into your canning.

Ken's spot on when he says it inspires others. It's already got me thinking about my spiced crabapple jelly. =)

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

...and your screen name fits perfectly.....whynotmi?

Congratulations Elaine! Doesn't it just paste a big grin all over your face?? LOL

Deanna

• jimster
    15 years ago

Hearing that is making all of us happy. Congratulations!

Jim

• annie1992
    15 years ago

What wonderful results, congratulations on a job well done. I love it when people enter their products in the fair, it seems like fewer and fewer people do it all the time.

Next year my granddaughter, the Monkey Princess, wants to "branch out" and enter something in the baked goods section. Her mother won an overall "Best" for rhubarb pie a couple of years ago, now the Princess wants a ribbon of her own.

I wonder if it's too soon to start planning for next year? (grin)

Annie

• greenhouser
    15 years ago

I'd love to see some pics of your winners. :) www.photobucket.com is very easy to use.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Way to go vall!! We have another professional!! ;) Wife wants to know if she can have you seedless boysenberry recipe?

Dave

• vall3fam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for the kudos! I picked my ribbons and jars up today and got a check for a whopping---hold on to your hat---$8.00!! My winnings!! Yay! The ribbons mean more than the cash, now I have something to show for my efforts.

The lady at the fair thanked me immensely and begged me to come back next year with more because this is becoming a dying art and fewer people are entering each year. I told her, no problem, I'll be back. It's a shame I live in one of the finest growing areas in the world and only a few people preserve our wonderful harvest.

Dave, as soon as I find the book I used, I'll give your wife the recipe. I think that jam is fine! Spreads nicely on PBJ!

Greenhouser, I just need to download my pics out of my camera and I'll be able to post some photos.

And thanks to everyone else, especially the "old timers" (you know who you are) for sharing your vast knowledge with newbies and us not-so-newbies, because it makes it much easier to have excellent results and not be disappointed with what turns out.

Elaine

• blueribbon
    15 years ago

Congratulations on the wins! My wife and I have won hundreds of ribbons at our county fair for canned goods and fresh produce, and the thrill of winning never gets old. Keep it up, the fairs need people like you to continue participating.