Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

More basil questions

tetrazzini
13 years ago

I start basil from seed (Genovese or sweet) and transplant it into the garden around 6 weeks later. At this point the plants are usually small, with only 4 to 6 small leaves. I pinch the very tiny top leaves off when I transplant them. I think I read to do this somewhere, to encourage bushing out. I plant about 35 plants, 8" apart. So far so good? Or is there a better way?

My impression is that the leaves are best when they're tender and emerald green, smoothish, kind of rounded, and slightly curled backwards. This year though the leaves didn't get like this. They stayed thinnish, and tended to curl upwards. I don't think they turned that emerald color either. So that's question 1: am I right about the characteristics of the best leaves? Any idea why they didn't turn out that way this year? Basically I'm wondering how to achieve good leaves most of the growing season. In the past I've noticed that by late September the leaves get pale and less good. But this year, despite the heat, they seem to be throwing in the towel early!

Question 2 is about pruning. When and how and how often is best? Is the purpose to make the plants branch out more, therefore be bigger? Or to stimulate new growth when the leaves are getting oldish? Someone recently told me to just shear off the tops and new growth will start. Is this a good idea, or is selective pruning better? One of the threads below suggested cutting back to the next node below the flower. Does that mean below the next node, or above it?

Thank you!

Comments (2)