Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker303

Still Scared of Canning? Maybe not

tucker303
17 years ago

Well, I did it. Made some Dilly Beans just now. The lids are starting to pop...and the dog is barking as he hears it! After pouring in the solution, I had to stuff a few more beans in. I snuck a few that were in the jar and replaced them. If they taste this good now....I can't wait for 3 weeks!

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. It feels mighty good.

One quick question - to alleviate my fears - the beans floated up after processing. Is this ok?

Rob

Comments (9)

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Yes, it's fine and perfectly normal. "Float" is common with many home-canned products.

Carol

• tucker303
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Carol...!

• readinglady
    17 years ago

You're very welcome. And congratulations on your canning success. You're well into it now; addiction will shortly follow!

Happy preserving,

Carol

• zabby17
    17 years ago

Rob,

Dilly beans are an especially fine thing to have around in the dead of winter! I like to open a commercial can of mixed beans (kidney, white, chick peas, etc.), drain them, then toss them with a jar of homemade dilly beans, and use some of the dilly bean marinade as the start of a dressing --- add a little olive oil, some herbs, etc. Reminder of summer!

(Do you havea garden? Beans are really easy to grow and you can get a lot of them in a small space, so if you are interested in getting more self sufficient that way they are a good place to start.)

Congratulations, and enjoy! We'll be seeing long lists of what you have canned soon, I think!

Zabby
    P.S. Another fun dilly bean thing (being a city girl, I only ever first HEARD of them about 2 years ago, btw, on this forum, and I am a convert!) is to mix yellow and green beans when preparing them. The result is very pretty in the jars.

• booberry85
    17 years ago

I followed your lead and made dilly beans this past weekend (my first time making them). I too have a doggie that hates the sound of those pops. She quivers and shakes at my feet as the jars seal. My beans floated up after processing too. It happens when I make pickles too.

• tucker303
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It was kinda funny. He does not mind thunder but any firecracker type pops really gets him going...running around the house from back door to front door barking...and then coming to me and looking at me as if to say "why are you not reacting mister, I heard something!"

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

Tucker,
    If you are a fan of Bloody Mary's, try a couple of those beans in your next cocktail!! Mmmmmmm...
    Don't make them often, but MUST have dilly beans when I do!!
    Deanna

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Good job, Tucker.

Now that you've got those under your belt, here's a tip: Several other veggies work well with that same brine, particularly asparagus, carrots, and turnips. Just something to keep in mind.

And note, too, that you can ring the changes merely by substituting herbs. Instead of Dilly Beans you can make TarraBeans (tarragon) or Thyme Beans, etc.

• tucker303
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good idea Zabby for a winter treat.

And Gardenlad....you got me thinkin'!!!!