Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katkat_gw

sum & substance question

katkat
16 years ago

I think I read that hostas that are lighter in color do better in the sun. My question is this, ever summer my sum and substance starts out doing well in the sunny spot but later it ends up looking burnt and shriveled....any idea's?

thanks

Kat

Comments (6)

• jspece
    16 years ago

How much sun? It is a little unrealistic to expect any hosta to look great all season in full sun. Morning sun is ideal, afternoon sun is hot and harsh.

How much water does it get? The more sun, the more water it will need.

When does it start looking burned? If it is July or after, that is more or less to be expected. Hostas start looking tired in the heat of summer.

Like some wise fellow says...hostas are shade tolerant, but heat intolerant.

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

Water is your only answer for heat and it must be consistent. I offer they are going through mini droughts even if you feel you water enough. When a hosta wilts it is suffering so you must get ahead of the curve and never allow a hosta to wilt.

I'm saying water in the middle of the day if you notice wilt or what I call droop.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

If a plant wilts or droops, the damage/stress is already done. The goal is to prevent the stress.
    KatKat, What's your zone? How much sun? Southern sun is much harsher than northern sun.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

all hosta start looking ratty during and after the heat of summer sets in ... ALL DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH WATER YOU GIVE THEM ...

i have a dozen SS in full blistering sun.. with drip irrigation.. they look great into fall ...

and you better find the reference about light colored hosta in sun .... is it possible you dreamed it??? .. lol ...

MANY, many hosta do just fine in the sun ... depending on your zone.. and your ability to try to drown them ... and that you dont care if they look ratty by sept ... but they will grow twice as big in the sun.. twice as fast.. given enough water ...

ALMOST ALL whites will burn to a crisp in the sun ... and that would be the 'lightest' color ...

ken

• Pat z6 MI
    16 years ago

I am not fond of S&S in full sun. Don't like the awful yellow color. My S&S' get some morning and some dappled sun and they are chartruse, the color that looks best to me for them. Wade's old, famous pic of "the world's largest" S&S drives me wild. Mine look great to the very end. Call me crazy.
    Pat

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

My S&S are in a woodland garden arae,and get that chartreuse color Patann described. I like that color best myself. Phil