Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

did your plumeria bloom this year?

crueltyfre
14 years ago

Mine didn't and now it's getting ready to drop it's leaves. I was wondering if it was the freeze last year or lack of sun in my yard.

Lori

Comments (25)

• ladywingr
    14 years ago

Sun would be a definite factor. I do have one that is just starting to bloom and it has a southern exposure. It was planted last year.

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

I have two plumerias side-by-side, a white and a yellow. The white did bloom, but the yellow did not at all this year. Both are sitting in a very sunny location.

Last year, they bloomed twice before the end of summer. I have no idea what happened this year!

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Mine Aztec Gold didn't bloom much at all, my Jeannie Moragne was like yours, none....I thought it might have been because I didn't keep up with the fertilization but this year where I'm located we've had an extremely unusual summer, little rain until recently so I'm wondering if heat stress could have been a factor....

• dirtygardener73
    14 years ago

Nope, but I don't think it's large enough. I'm going to move it to a site with better soil.

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

I have three pink ones, I do not know their name, one is in bloom right now and it has bloomed more than once this year. I 'think' the other two have bloomed this year, but honestly I can't say for sure. Mine get sun most of the day.

FlowerLady

• manature
    14 years ago

My larger one has not bloomed (it's about 4' tall, in a big container), but Evelyn gave me a cutting of one (pudica?) that is rooted in a tiny pot. It is only 1' tall and has 3 gorgeous white flowers on it!

Marcia

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Mine all bloomed earlier in the year but haven't stayed in bloom like they usually do. I think for me it's a matter of too little sun. And I admit I haven't fed them at all. Gee, do you think that could be a factor? LOL
    A couple of mine are pretty big now and should be repotted too. I'm sure they are root bound. Sounds like a Fall project!

Kate

• babalu_aye
    14 years ago

I have a large (15 ft) pink one and a small (4 ft) white one that are both in partial sun and they both have been blooming this year. The white one didn't bloom last year though. I think the bigger (and therefore more branches) they get, the more likely they are to bloom each year.

John

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

I have about 20 in different stages, the one in the sun
    bloomed enven tho they lost allot of branches with the couple freezes we had this past winter. I have 4 that are in mostly shade and only one is in bud now. Last year the ones in shade bloomed plenty. I'm wondering if they are like some fruit trees heavy one year and not much the next, it seems that's what I get with mine.
    Carmen

• stuartwanda
    14 years ago

Mine bloomed last year and nothing this year. Lost 2 to a freeze over the winter and also lost half of one. All of mine are in ground.

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

Here I thought it was just me.
    Mine didn't bloom most of the summer either and I did feed them..ok once, but still. My lg one had 1 stick of blooms and my Aztec gold only recently put out it's 1st ever bloom.
    I have about 8 and all the tags have faded so I don't know what I have until they bloom.
    Where's tropicalfreak? Maybe he could give us info.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

yeah, i feel better, too. i haven't ever grown plumeria before, but two years ago my secretary gave me a little six inch cutting... it's five feet now and nicely branched, but still hasn't bloomed. i had thought i screwed things up, but now i know that they're apparently finicky bloomers...

not that pretty as a plant, so this thing had better bloom soon!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

Yes! Here are some photos:

• michaelz9
    14 years ago

This is my first year with Plumeria as well and my Aztec Gold bloomed twice and my Candy Stripe and Kapalua each only bloomed once. I was thrilled to actually see these bloom as being my first Plumeria that were just cuttings, I was sure I'd kill them this first time.

They seem very happy where they are at and my Kapalua gave me 5 branches after that first bloom, and my Aztec Gold and Candy Stripe each branched 3 times after each bloom. I can't wait to seem all those branches bloom next year.

Aztec Gold does have another 2 inflo's popping up now. Wwwwwwhhhhhhheeeeeeee!!!! :)

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well it seems some did and some didn't so I won't worry too much. Mine is big, reaches over the rooftop, so it was outside during the freezes last winter. I'll assume that was it for the time being. Thanks for the replies,
    Lori

• bihai
    14 years ago

Some of mine have, some have not. Kauka Wilder, pudica and stenophyllus have bloomed. Princess Victoria, Hilo Beauty and my one that I grew from a seedling (Vampire BLood) have not.

• jaxtropix
    14 years ago

My new plumeria didn't bloom but a neighbor leaves hers out in the shade all year and it's bloomed nicely!

• natives_and_veggies
    14 years ago

We have a big, nicely branched and normally quite happy one and three smaller ones and I think I got four blosons out of the group. I think Tom may be right. They all looked pretty stressed until the recent rains. Guess I should have watered them.

• tropicalfreak
    14 years ago

lol.. all I can say is "Bloom Booster". I use it for mine. I have mine in sunken pots. I use about a tablespoon each month when actively growing.

My Miami Rose is blooming it's head off again.

Tropcialfreak

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

Cliff, tell me about the sunken pots. How do they work? It sounds interesting!

• mikem32901
    14 years ago

well this is a load off my mind I thought I did something wrong I have six plumeria and had no frost last winter,all are in full sun and only one bloomed this year,and only for about a week I normally have flowers from may to october

• natives_and_veggies
    14 years ago

mikem,
    I really think it was a weird summer for them. There are several others in my neighborhood that are normally spectacular and weren't this year. I think you could have babied them into blooming, but they're pretty hardy plants and I suspect we'll all have better luck next year, with or without babying this year.

Of course, mine are in the ground, so there's only so much return on investment in fertilizer during the rainy season down here. In pots, it doesn't wash away, but in the ground, I just try to stick with compost.

Susannah

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

Mine did not bloom this year. I have two and they have bloomed each year until now. I wonder why?

• rainy230
    14 years ago

I was going to post about the same problem! I had taken some cutting off mine in the winter ,I thought maybe I did something. The funny things is some of the cuttings bloomed ! Isn't that weird?

• stuartwanda
    14 years ago

Rainy230, that isn't so weird. If you had left the stems on the plant it would have bloomed. I have read that if you have a 12" stem it should bloom but not sure if that is correct? They have a mind all their own I think!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH