Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Just ordered Blue Jay, Cameo, & friends for them to play with

esther_b
10 years ago

After a long and very pleasant conversation with Josh Spece at Inthecountry, I ordered a hosta Blue Jay and a mini-heuchie Sweet Tart. I would have ordered Cameo from him, but he was out. I found the mini-heuchie I was really trying hard to find, Ginger Snap, at Casita Azul. They had Cameo, too, so I ordered one there. And, to fill the empty white Chinese Neighbor gift pot (remember the one that was sitting next to the garbage can for a week last year, which he triumphantly presented me with?) with the blue, red, etc. decal on it, I ordered a sedum Ruby Mantle.

Since I gifted myself with a sedum Angelina at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, I can also insert bits of that golden yellow needle-leafed sedum in with the pink and green round-leafed Ruby Mantle for an interesting contrast. It will probably be butter yellow tuberous begonias for the pot guarded by Garden Cat.

Comments (9)

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

What a nice neighbour to think of you to present you with a gift to plant Cameo. I bought this tiny jewel this year to be next Pandora's Box. Should accent each other when they grow some/ I don't have Blue Jay so will have to check this one out too

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Esther, your planned arrangement sounds so delightful..Angelina stands out..sooo glad you bought Blue Jay - I think you made the best choice for a blue for your zone. It tolerates heat quite well and maintains it's blue the best ....which is what you wanted.

Would love to see a pic when you get your order delivered and have it all planted. :-)

• User
    10 years ago

Really like what I feel is happening around you, Esther.

It bodes well for a very good year.

You should watch the movie MY FAVORITE YEAR with Peter OToole...1954 was the year.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The hostas seem on track. Can hardly wait to receive my new hostababies plus the new heuchies.

Now for the VACANT SPACE in the Neighbors Plot garden:

I have, I think, selected the mini-rose to plant in the space vacated by the death of my little heather plant. I have done research and I think that Rainbow's End mini rose will go great with the colors of the adjacent Neon Flash (very pink!) dwarf spirea bush and the beautiful heuchie Marmalade. I think I'll be ordering it from Heirloom Roses on the west coast, as they have own-root plants vs. the grafted ones. My greatest concern is whether the mini-rose will get the dreaded blackspot.

Here are the 3 plants. Do you think they go together?

Heuchie Marmalade:

Dwarf spirea Neon Flash:

Mini-rose Rainbow's End:

• User
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful plants, Esther. I don't think I ever saw a heuchie as pretty as the one you show. They will look gorgeous together. Breathtaking.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I think they'll look great together, Esther.

Don B.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I adore Marmelade...looks great all season. And I never met a spirea I didn't like! My spirea 'Firelights' are really showing off right now. I look forward to seeing your design all together!

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the positive opinions. Now where to order the Rainbow's End mini-rose? I spent some time on the phone with Chamblees roses in Texas, and I received a response to my email query from Heirloom Roses in Oregon. Has anyone dealt with these firms? I know that Heirloom raises their roses on their own rootstock, which is a more disease-resistant plant than one grafted onto Dr. What'shisname's roots.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I love Marmalade! I must find one...