Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icutup

Dog Friendly Ground Cover or plants for small garden

ICutUp
9 years ago

Hi,
On the West side of our house -Orlando area -right against the house, we have a small garden bed (about 6' x 3') with a small water fountain. There is a giant pony tail plant at one end (oops. did not know it would get so big). I would like to put some non toxic plants and/or ground cover around the fountain. Our dog likes to run through that area and also likes to taste plants. I tried some Pink Polka Dot plants and some mint, but neither did very well. Something ate the Polka Dots (bugs) and they were very faded looking. The mint looked sad too. They got plenty of water. The area is sand and dirt & gets shade and sun. Any ideas or photos or websites for me? I checked the ASCPA list of toxic and non toxic plants, but I was hoping for feedback on what has worked for other dog owners. I would rather not attract bees since our dog does run through the area.We have a 2 yr old Scotty. :) Thanks!!!

Comments (2)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

Large river rock with a couple of low, flat boulders.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    9 years ago

My first knee jerk suggestion is Sunshine Mimosa, which I happen to love. Sunshine Mimosa - or Mimosa strigillosa, Touch-Me-Not or Sensitive Plant - absolutely loves the soil conditions you mentioned. It grows to about 2-3 inches tall and spreads and covers quite nicely. My only concern is the 'west side of the house' bit. Sunshine Mimosa, as it's name suggests, loves, loves, LOVES sunshine. It will survive in shady conditions, but it will be thin and want to run toward the sunlight. So depending on how soon that area gets direct sun, this might or might not be a good plant. The little powderpuff flowers do attract bees, but they are mostly solitary bees or bumblebees and will not bother anyone unless deliberately provoked. I have worked among my mimosa and amongst the bees without ever being more than incidentally buzzed when one leaves or arrives. These pollen getters are not going to risk their lives just to claim rights to a flower, they will move on to another.

Below are two areas in which I have Sunshine Mimosa growing. The first is my front 'herb' garden. It is a little light on the herbs right now, but slowly filling in. The mat of green is the sunshine mimosa started from three 6" transplants last fall.

This second picture is of the original Mimosa plants that I put in two years ago. It has spread quite a bit, but what you can't see is that as the Tropical bed filled in this past summer, that section became less covered by the mimosa fronds. The plant is still there and growing (and indeed now that things are thinning out the mimosa is filling back in), but it put all it's energy into spreading the mat out toward the sunnier sections.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths