Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

What veggies are you planting right now?

annafl
14 years ago

I still have space in my garden. What are you planting? I am still learning about when to plant what. Please tell.

Anna

Comments (21)

• saldut
    14 years ago

Hi - I just planted abt. 8 tomato plants, from Home Depot.. in pots, because nematodes attack the roots here in Fla. Also I planted 2 Pepper plants, also in pots.... I used the mix recommended by Tom and Al, but a good Miracle-Gro potting mix would prob. work OK for a few things.... I got Beefmaster, Big Boy, Yellow Pear tomato plants, and a sweet Bell Pepper also a Yellow Pepper, sweet..... also I just planted 3 Red Lady papaya in the ground, they are shorter than the usual papaya.... now is the time to start planting most of the veggies you want to grow, but wait until it cools off a bit more for lettuce and plants that require cooler temps., we are awfully hot right now it's a longer than usual summer.... sally

• amberroses
    14 years ago

I have lots of tomatoes planted. Most of them are in pots but I had so many I am trying some in the ground. I grew them from seed and felt bad trashing the extras. I have some green beans, cucumbers, watermelon (probably too late for you to start now), carrots, and lettuce all planted in pots. I started the lettuce during the cold snap and then it got hot again.

• tomncath
    14 years ago

I'm successioning more tomatoes, pole beans, cukes and zukes now.... Just starting some broccoli, lettuces, and radishes and will start some onions and super sugar snap peas probably 11/15.

Tom

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

Not strictly veggies but...planting dill, fennel for cooking and the butterflies and basil for us and the bees.
    And now that it's getting less HOT adding some collards which did very well last year.

Denise

• neon9
    14 years ago

Just got some broccoli, and a few more tomatoes....hopefully it cools off a little for the broc. Luckily it's very small now...

• trini1trini
    14 years ago

I am doing mostly asian veggies this fall. Lots of different chinese cabbages..30-35 days to maturity....can't beat that. I ordered some asian cukes (seeds) but haven't received them yet so I hope it won't be too late. I am also trying the edible gourds and asian melons. I hope I have better luck than the regular veggies I planted in the summer.

• tomncath
    14 years ago

I hope I have better luck than the regular veggies I planted in the summer.

Zone 10 is the kiss of death in the summer unless you're into okra or yardlong beans :-) :-(

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot the edible gourds, which aren't (oxymoron). They grow great in Zone 10 summers but that one line from Crocodile Dundee keeps sticking in my mind, Tastes like ****, but you can eat it. :-)

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    14 years ago

Yes, I too have found out that when nothing else can grow in the intense summer heat, you can count on the edible gourds. My chickens didn't complain about the taste. I just never got too fond of them.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

tom, you growing those onions and radishes in containers or in the ground?

• annafl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My pole beans are just getting going with producing. Should I start planting more now and will they produce over winter?

I'd like to plant onion bulbs but have not seen them anywhere. Any idea where to find them?

Tom, did you say this is a good time to plant zucchinis? And do they climb or trail?

Anna

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

hey, i rather liked the cuccuzi!

• whgille
    14 years ago

Tom

I am happy to inform you that ALL the GOURDS went to a nice home. To a friend that really, really likes them!

Anna

Pole varieties produce for a longer season than bush, that is one of the reasons that I prefer them.

Good and inexpensive onion sets can be found in HD or Lowes at this time of the year, that is about when I got them.

About zucchini, most varieties are bush. Few are climbers like the one I grew this past season.

Table Dainty

{{gwi:66937}}

Costata Romanesco, bush

{{gwi:66936}}

Silvia

• keiki
    14 years ago

Im growing black cherry, black plum, viva italia, super bush, and sweet 100 tomatoes, red marconi peper, a cool orange sweet pepper, hansel eggplant, fairy tale eggplant and a noid eggplant, romain lettuce, bok choy, broccoli, purple cauliflower, yard long beans, kohlrabi, and a squash that is losing the fight to some dang critter. I need to find some onions also.

• tomncath
    14 years ago

tom, you growing those onions and radishes in containers or in the ground?

Onions for sure go in the ground, they take up too much real estate to put in containers so they'll go in the raised boxes they were in last year, between the bananas. The radishes will probably go on the edge of the onion boxes just like last year so I can grow the lettuces in my window box planters on the upper deck.

I'd like to plant onion bulbs but have not seen them anywhere. Any idea where to find them?

You should start seeing onion sets (60) at the Big Box stores any time now....

Tom, did you say this is a good time to plant zucchinis? And do they climb or trail?

Yes, you can grow them now. The bush types trail. We've been experimenting with the English vining marrows since last fall, hard to find seeds but Silvia did well this past year and has been able to share seeds with those who have ask for them. Since it went so well with the Table Dainty, and we can no longer get seed from England, I though I'd better get some of the Trailing Green Marrow in case the source for it dried up. I have enough seeds of it right now to send anyone who wants to try it six seeds each. These are vining squash, just as Silvia's picture shows.... I'll post pictures later if my humidity and morning dew don't do these plants in with DM/PM. I currently have three of each started on my veggie arbor.

hey, i rather liked the cuccuzi!

Good Michael, I've got seeds to send you ;-)

I am happy to inform you that ALL the GOURDS went to a nice home. To a friend that really, really likes them!

Silvia, give me their address, I'm looking for a sucker, er, I mean a loving home for mine :-)

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    14 years ago

Tom, you don't have to send Michael any seeds of the cucuzzi. I have plenty to share with him.

Christine

• tomncath
    14 years ago

But Christine, what am I to do with all these seeds ;-)

• trini1trini
    14 years ago

Tom, you are too funny about the gourds :)
    I have never tried them and thought I'd experiment with them but now you have scared me so I may have to dump the idea, because I don't have a sucker, I mean a friend to give mine to. lol

• wiigodess
    14 years ago

Tom I would love to try some seeds, I love zucchinis and have been reading to learn to grow something. I went to the echo get together and got some cucuzzi seeds from Christine to plant in spring? You all are so inspiring and can not wait to show pictures of stuff I grow if that ever happens. I do have a bumper crop of weeds, but that would just make you all cry.
    Thanks so much Joan

• jwahlton
    14 years ago

I've been looking for onions for weeks now. Can't find them anywhere! I want sweet onions

• tomncath
    14 years ago

I think the dead give-a-way was when they stated as a selling feature "great in soups and curries". Cucuzzi is milder than the others and quite palatable as a squash so don't let me run you off. I honestly do have seeds for anyone that wants to try the cucuzzi, and Trailing Green Marrow, just drop me a line at my GW email link.

Regarding the onions, they'll show up within the next 45 days at the Big Box stores, we just never know this time of year exactly whenÂ.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida