Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisapat_gw

Shapes of canning jars & old, unused lids

14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone for the invaluable information on this forum! This is my first post, in my first year of canning after lurking here all summer long.

I have a couple questions, first about the shape of jars. When making half-pints of a relish or chutney, I prefer the short wide salmon canning jars, the ones that are half the height of a pint jar, to the more slender half-pint jam jars. Now, after reading about heat transfer in Putting Food By, I wonder whether I should be processing these (BWB) according to the pint times instead of pint times due to the width of the jars. Any insight?

Also, I have a box of unused older SNAP lids that I got from a friend, the ones that recommend boiling for 5 mins as opposed to the newer ones that just say to hold in hot water. Any idea how old these actually are, and whether the sealing material might have degraded in this time? I'd rather toss them than save myself the $2.69 if there is a chance I'd ruin a batch of canning.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• 14 years ago

Any idea how old these actually are, and whether the sealing material might have degraded in this time?

Many years old and yes it may well have degraded. I'd pitch them rather than waste my time.

Now, after reading about heat transfer in Putting Food By, I wonder whether I should be processing these (BWB) according to the pint times instead of pint times due to the width of the jars. Any insight?

Now this part I don't understand. Pint times vs. pint times? I can only assume you mean pint times vs. HALF-pint times, right?

A half-pint jar is a half-pint jar regardless of shape - wide mouth or regular mouth - both the same. Processing times don't vary based on the shape of the jar. Wide-mouth and regular mouth jars can be used interchangeably with no problems. If your recipe calls for X mins. processing for half-pint jars then that is what you do.

If it calls for using pint jars but you are using half-pints then you don't change the processing time. You process them for the time given for pints even though they are smaller. This is because while it is safe to use smaller jars, you have no way of knowing how long to decrease the processing time. So you don't "guess", you use the time given even tho the jars are smaller.

But you don't go to BIGGER jars than called for in the recipe. In other words, if it calls for pints you can't safely use quarts and if it calls for half-pints don't use pints. OK?

For future reference, Putting Food By is a very outdated book and generally no longer recommended as it is not current. So it should be used with great care.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• 14 years ago

Yes, I did mean pint vs. half-pint, thanks Dave.

Yep, I am not as thrilled with PFB as some people I know, and I have noticed things in it that would be considered unsafe today. But I had insomnia the other night, and spent some time flipping through it.

Having said that, if you have PFB, there is an interesting section on p 43-44 on conductive vs. convective heating, and where "cold spots" can occur, with a little diagram to boot. It does mention that "squat" jars can take longer to penetrate. But since we're definitely moving towards a place of greater caution over the years, I'm glad to hear that this is not a common concern under current guidelines.

~ Lisa

• 14 years ago

Dave's already addressed issues re jar sizes and PFB, so I won't deal with those.

I do have to say I've used very old lids (found them in my late MIL's stash) and had exactly the same 100% seal rate as new ones. If stored under good conditions they hold up very well. However, it isn't much money, and if you prefer not to take the risk, you aren't out much by ditching them.

Carol

• 14 years ago

Like Readinglady, I've used some very old lids, given to me by my sister who does not can. They were at least 15 years old, probably more, but they all sealed and stayed sealed.

Frankly, I think the older lids had more sealing compound and sealed better than the new ones do.

Annie

• 14 years ago

Thanks! Maybe I'll use them then, just not on my 30 min BWB $#@^% pickled beets.

~ Lisa