Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostapumpkinman

2011 Spring Pictures

hostapumpkinman
12 years ago

Hi all.Here are some pics of what is happening in the hosta beds.I think that I figured out how to make collages.

Top Left-Saucer Magnolia,Top Right PJM Rhododendron(the first year in a long time that the deer did not eat the blooms over winter),Bottom Left-Pulmonaria Lungwart,Bottom Right-Gold Bleeding Heart(stays golden all summer)

Top Left-Liberty unfurling,Top Right-Cynthia(one eye starting to show it's true coloring)Bottom Left-War Paint(before starting to green up)Bottom Right-Golden Oriole

Top Left- Hellebore(mellow Yellow?)you would not believe how hard it is to grow them sideways,Top Right-Arisaema unfurling,Bottom Left-Dandelion(my collection has grown by leaps and bounds this year),Bottom Right-Bellwort

Comments (8)

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

I like the way you grow your hellebores. It must take a really green thumb to get them to do that.

I think I have that same variety of dandelion in my collection. Do you know it's name?

bkay

• hostapumpkinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi bkay,that particular type of dandelion I have pictured is a native protected plant and rather rare here in Illinois.I believe that the scientific name is dandelion paininthea__ officnale.Even though it is rare I would be willing to trade you some for some high end hostas.Phil

• alyciaadamo
    12 years ago

om my gosh I cracked up laughing when I read this hahahahahah

But Phil I love you magnolia does it smell good?

• dani_plus_2
    12 years ago

hahaha...I feel your pain! I'm the only one in a 2 block radius that doesn't use chemicals on my lawn so of course I am the only one with a yard full of dandelions! My kids love them and I can have some piece of mind when they are playing in the grass...

Dani

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Here's a new bed I finished yesterday.

This semi-weeping crab has hostas planted at its base. You can see montana Aureo-Marginata, then (clockwise) Choo Choo Train, Guacamole, Love Pat and Halcyon (barely visible in this shot), Fragrant Queen, and Sweet Innocence. Not yet planted is Fragrant Bouquet (still awaiting arrival). This crab is right off my deck and thus I wanted Hostas with fragrance and showiness (montana AM).

Steve

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

A few more Spring pics on this cloudy misty day here in New England.

Here's a pink Azalea with a young Blue Angel in front.

Here is what is inside that Azalea.

Mama Robin is not happy when I go to water the hostas in this area.

The bluebirds are right next door.
    {{gwi:997550}}
    One hatched and 3 more to go. We'll have to watch out for the evil House Sparrows to make sure these guys fledge.

Syringa Vulgaris 'Krasavitsa Moscovy'

Also known as Beauty of Moscow. This one is becoming more widely available. Double white flowers and pink buds make for a bicolor effect this time of year.

Syringa Vulgaris 'Avalanche'

One of the Rochester hybrids the florets are much larger than ordinary vulgaris.

Syringa Vulgaris 'Albert F. Holden'

Purple flowers with a silvery reverse on each floret.

Syringa Vulgaris 'Yankee Doodle'

Another Rochester hybrid, the color of this one is actually much darker than in the picture. It's one of the darkest purple lilacs I've seen.

The beginning of my "White Garden."

That's a Kousa Dogwood on the left, white salvia in the middle, Delaware Valley White Azalea in the back, Fire and Ice hosta by the rock, a tiny Frosted Mouse Ears front right, with Mt. Hood Daffodils throughout. In the woods in back is a shadblow lending some white background. Shadblows are in full bloom all throughout New England at the time the Herring (or Shad) are running upstream.

Steve

• kskaren
    12 years ago

VERY nice, Steve! Love the little birdies, too!
    Karen

• kskaren
    12 years ago

Sorry, Phil, I forgot this was your post originally--your azaleas and rhodos look awesome! I am just getting started on them this year, and hope mine do as well. Are yours protected from winter winds? That has been my concern while figuring out placement.
    Karen