Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Chantilly Lace---diseased?

I am not sure what is up with my Chantilly Lace. Have any of you seen these kind of markings on your hosta? My Chantilly Lace is in a pot---and I have many in pots---but this is the only one with these markings. I got it last year. I am bewildered. Any thoughts?

Comments (26)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another photo.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's cold damage. I have several that have little dots on them. I'll try to get photos tomorrow.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to see your photos bk. I was thinking it was maybe some kind of insect.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

something killed individual cells...

perhaps those single cells froze

or some bug came along and took a small bite.. and kept on moving ...

note that the newest leaf... at 6 oclock center.. is not damaged ...

so.. there is no cure needed ...

it is definitely.. not a disease ... as in none such hits single cells ...

ken

Original Author
    9 years ago

Please look at this Chantilly Lace once again and reassess. This has been a reoccurring problem. Here is the information I can give you.

Purchased in 2012 from a reliable source. I have a picture of it below and have dated it. I now see that it has some of the markings which I still have in 2014. Two photos above in my initial posting are from 2013.

Original Author
    9 years ago

And now for 2014. Divided into two in 2013. Photos below are from the two divisions.

Since these marks have persisted from 2012, could I be looking at a virus? The closest thing I have come up with is Tomato Ringspot Virus. It is supposed to be common in hostas. But this may be incorrect. I hate seeing these spots every year. I have not experienced this with any other hosta of mine.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another from 2014.

Original Author
    9 years ago

And another in 2014.

Original Author
    9 years ago

And my last one for 2014.

I see that my closeup photos are not very clear. If you need to see more, let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

If you like the plant, keep it. You are not going to be entering any leaves in a show with it.

If it seems to have recurring problems every year, you can always replace it. Give up sodas/coffee for a week ...

m2cw

_~
    dkB

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

That is very interesting. My Chantilly Lace has always done the same thing. I was blaming it on being under the drip line from my upstairs balcony. For years now I've meant to move it but never have gotten around to it.

Here is a picture of it last year in June.

{{gwi:1009530}}

I looked up when I got it which was in 2006. I checked out older pictures. The first and second year didn't definitely show spots. There were water spots so it was hard to tell. Here is a picture from 2008 that does show the spots. I was surprised to see it was in a previous location at this point. Now I can't blame it on drips from the balcony. If you find out anything, be sure and post it.

{{gwi:1009532}}

9 years ago

just throw it away... it will never make you happy ...

crikey you have spent way too much time fixated on it ... be done with it ..

ken

Original Author
    9 years ago

"If you like the plant, keep it." Bragu, I agree. Only I am not sure whether I like it or not.

Thanks McTavish for the photos. I agree, that it is interesting to hear that you have the same problem. Also of interest is that the Hosta Library has at least two photos with the same! I am getting to think that this is a genetic disposition of the plant! If I find out anything else, I will be sure to post that info.

Now Ken says, "just throw it away... it will never make you happy" I agree---or at least I need to find another home for it.

"crikey you have spent way too much time fixated on it ... be done with it .." First of all, in my defense, I was concerned about it having a virus. I am not sure if I have been fixated on it. You know how this hosta obsession works. I just care for and work towards maintaining the health and vigor of all my plants! You understand, right?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Right you are, NHL.
    As to the markings on the leaves appearing in all these hostas pictured and discussed here leads me to also suspect it may be part of its genetic make-up. I'll check my latest book.

I must say, at this juncture that I hear an echo in my head...it goes something like "words mean things" - who said that? fixated? Now that IS a stretch. I don't recall reading anything prior to this thread title before, so mentioning it on this thread for the first time is now referred to as a fixation?

Come on, Ken, please let's stick to sharing information and dispense with the disparaging remarks. It serves no purpose and is unwarranted. Thank you.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Geez,newhosta lady,if I worried about a spot on my hostas,year after year,I would be a basket case by now! My garden is in the woods,and every year there is some plant with spots,but they are not diseased! Yeah,some are perfect every year,but they are the exception,not the rule. Keep the plant,remembering that stuff happens,and move on! Phil

9 years ago

surely you guys are lacking a sense of humor ....

ken

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

uh, hostafreak, you ARE a basket case.

better ken?

dave

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, here's how I see it. I am not fond of a hosta that is going to provide me with instant spots year after year. Would you not choose another hosta to purchase? Why would I need one with spots? If I want spots, I have my own bugs, slugs, rabbits etc. to help mark my hosta leaves. I don't have the lovely large hosta property that you have Phil. Maybe then it wouldn't matter as much.

I also like to take photos of my hostas. Those spots on Chantilly Lace just don't add anything to my pictures.

I am glad that the spots are not a virus. So now I can relax. Perhaps as the hosta becomes larger, the spots will become less noticable. I will persevere with this plant.

It seems to me to be a real possibility that these marks are in this hosta's genetic makeup.

Thanks for coming to my defense Jo.

Everything's good. No hard feelings Ken.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Nhl,I only have half an acre,mostly unusable property,as it is too steep,or too shady,so my garden isn't as big as you think. Sorry about the tirade,but hostas are tough,and anything,save HVX is OK with me. I have tree limbs,hail sometimes bombarding my hostas every year,so a couple spots is nothing. Phil

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Hostas are living in nature, things come around to take a nip.

Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am providing an update. I have three small plants. One went in a spin out bag last year. The other two were kept in pots. All three still have the markings. I am throwing out the two in pots and will probably end up throwing out the one in the spin out bag. See for yourself why:

Enough is enough! Ken was right---they were never going to make me happy.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

Nice follow up. The leaves remind me of when small branches from overhead trees fall on them.

I wonder if they knew it had a propensity to do this, and that's how they came up with the name. In marketing they often play up a negative as if it's a positive. So using lace to suggest a pattern on the leaves? A real lace pattern on a hosta would be cool, but this isn't that.

• garyz6ohio
    8 years ago

I feel that Chantilly Lace is just extremely sensitive to cold damage, and not necessarily does it need to be a freeze or hard frost. Mine shows the same "damage", but I just think that its part of it's genetic make up.

• hostas_for_barb
    8 years ago

NHL: I totally get your concerns. You love the hosta but not the imperfections and they are hard to look past. When there are so many wonderful varieties out there, why keep one that is only frustrating? If it has a lot of other wonderful attributes, like slug resistant, frost hardy etc., you might be able to look past the spots but you know they will probably be there every year. Some people are really bothered by Francis Williams' spring dessication burn. I love my FW and happily overlook those little burn spots and they don't spoil its beauty for me at all. I will try to site it in a place that might minimize the problem but even knowing it might be there every year, I will not remove it from my garden. So I guess you just have to decide how much of a problem it is for you and act accordingly. :)

• in ny zone5
    8 years ago

Last year I had 4 or so hostas with crown rot, not this year, probably was due to the weather. I have several hostas which have a crinkled leaf here and there. One plant has every leaf on one shoot coming up with the tips mushy, so doused that one with Bayer Disease Control. I think it is normal that with a lot of hostas some will have a problem. I also love my FWs.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Sandyslopes, your suggestion of it having been known to have this trait, and then naming the hosta to play up the positive, is very interesting. That thought never occurred to me.

Thanks for showing your Chantilly Lace photo Gary. Those are definitely the markings I am talking about! Now you feel that this hosta may be extra sensitive to cold. Wasn't it McTavish who thought that her Chantilly Lace had markings on it because of water dripping on it? I'm not sure I agree that the cold makes those kind of markings. I do agree that it is a genetic thing.

You make a good point Barb. Do I need the frustration this hosta brings? No, I dont! It is hard for me to give up on a hosta, but I think the right choice is to let it go! Tomorrow will be the day!

Bernd says "I think it is normal that with a lot of hostas some will have a problem."

I agree!