Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovejesus_gw

mole crickets

ilovejesus
17 years ago

We are having a problem with mole crickets eating our sod!

Does anyone have a formula for treatment of this problem? Also will they (mole crickets) eat my plants and flowers or do they just munch on grass?

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank You and God Bless You

Comments (6)

• Kimmsr
    17 years ago

A bait containing the protozoan "Nosema locustae" will help control crickets as well as grasshoppers.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry about your mole cricket problem! They are primarily a pest of turfgrasses, but can damage seedlings of crops and (of course) the root systems of anything.

I've never seen a mole cricket program that including the Nosema locustae protozoan as a remedy, but it would be worth evaluating a label to investigate it. I reviewed numerous publications and mole crickets were clearly omitted from the list of pests controlled by Nosema locustae.

Parasitic nematodes, however, have been used successfully for many years...and are now available to others besides the superintendents of posh golf courses.

These mostly subterranean insects actually have lots of natural predators, parasites, and pathogens that help keep their numbers from flourishing in most cases. There are even mole crickets that eat other mole crickets! One of the best management tricks involves taking good care of the grass! Keep the mower blades sharpened, mow high and routinely (so that you never scalp the grass), water deeply and infrequently, avoid broad spectrum pesticides, avoid over fertilization, etc. Healthy, vigorous grass is your best defense against a mole cricket invasion.

• ronalawn82
    17 years ago

I take it that the turf is Bahia grass. Years ago there was a very effective home made bait but that is history. The parasitic nematode Steinernema scapterisci is effective and persistent but may be available to the 'Professionals' only. That leaves the pyrethroids which are very effective but not long lasting.
    Make sure that the insect is present; soap flush a few spots at evening time to confirm this. If they are there, apply the treatment there and then. The product must contact the insect. Soap flush again in a week's time to see it the treatment has been effective. After you have got the adults under control, you'd have to scout (get used to activity) your property on a regular (weekly) schedule. You want to know when the nymphs hatch because at that stage they cannot move about and would be a sitting target. At that stage they are most vulnerable AND you can fully exploit the Pyrethrins' greatest benefits; killing power, specific to insects at low doses...and for the environment and you and me - negligible residual.

• Kimmsr
    17 years ago

Rhizo, I first learned about using "Nosema locustae" for crickets in the 1970's and it is one of the things the University of Florida recommends, the use is listed in Rodales "The Organic Gardeners Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control" and is recommended in the books by Leonard Wickendon and Beatrice Thrum Hunter as well as by Helen and Scott Nearing.
    While most everything I see today talks about only grasshopper control, with no mention of crickets, I have seen nothing that says this is not effective for controlling crickets which eat pretty much the same things as grasshoppers.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

To our original poster: In terms of bio-control methods,
    MOLE crickets are best controlled in the ground, before they start doing their damage. They tend not to be general feeders like grasshoppers are, but feed on the roots of tender plants, and will devour tender grass blades. Most of the damage in lawns is because of their tunneling system and root damage.

Since N.locustae takes a long time for appreciable results to be observed (by its very nature, it relies on time), it is best used as PART of an IPM program in the control of these particular pests rather than the only artillery.

A properly timed application of the appropriate nematode species can have an immediate effect on the present generation of mole crickets. Anyone who is plagued by these pests is extremely anxious to get them under some kind of control as soon as possible. Steinernema (the mole cricket nematode) are now available to the general public. You can find them at any reputable dealer of bio controls. Soil conditions and other environmental issues need to be taken into consideration before deciding upon a nematode application, of course. But I can attest personally to the fact that the results can be exceedingly positive.

I have found, in a general way, that if your soil conditions support a mole cricket population, then nematodes are likely to thrive, as well.

• clysta
    13 years ago

I have just put out a batch of "Nosema locustae" protazoa. I'll let you know how it goes.
    But I just saw another control suggested. 1 part molasses to 9 parts water in an easy to get into container. Attracts crickets and molasses also prevents them from getting out of container. They drown.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH