Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Just bought a 5 gal BoBo today. Anyone growing these? Tips for success? More sun or less - still debating where to plant it. If you've got pictures I'd love to see them! Thanks!

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

I would keep it in bright shade temporarily and plant it when temperatures have moderated. Then look for a place where it will get a some protection from the worst of the summer sun in your garden. It is a paniculata so it can take full sun in the north but, if you have a stressful or very dry summer, it will benefit for protection during the worst part of the summer days. So basically it is ok to go full sun but some shade will help on really bad summers. Enjoy!

Several people have bought Bobo so, if no one quickly posts pictures, do a forum search here looking for the word bobo to see if you can see pictures in old posts.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    10 years ago

I have 26 of them now. Yup. 26. I bought them all online (Sooner Plant Farm and Garden Crossings) because they aren't available locally yet. I have them placed in various conditions (from full sun to part sun). Even though they were planted just this year from small mail order plants, they have thrived and are blooming away. I haven't had to baby them at all. Really easy plants. Even in the highest heat we had this summer they didn't droop like some of my other hydrangeas. Also, they started blooming early for a paniculata hydrangea. Really early considering how small the plants were when I got them. They started blooming just after my Quickfires and before my Phantoms (which are also usually early). The original plants I planted this spring were cut way back for shipment so I'm thinking they are early bloomers and not just forced in a greenhouse.
    My only worry with these plants is regarding fall color for the flowers. I'm hoping the blooms get at least a little pink. So far the color of the blooms has aged similar to a Annabelle or Icrediball...from white to green. A couple flowers here and there have a touch of pink on them. I haven't dead headed at all. Even the oldest blooms on the plants still look good (although greenish). I live in CT on the line of 6a/b.
    This is obviously my first year with these plants but so far I'm very pleased. Pleased enough that after ordering my first 6 I went back and ordered 20 more. When I get to my camera I'll upload a few pics for you.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips Luis! And GreenHaven - 26!? Wow! Sounds like they are doing great for you in a variety of sun exposure. Thanks!