Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

I Can See Clearly Now

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

Right Click link below and open in a new Tab or Window to play Johnny Nash: I Can See Clearly Now while viewing pics.

Invincible has really taken off in the last two weeks

Radiant Star, registered Chris Wilson and Hallson Gardens - a Radiant Edger sport. Still very small for me - planted 2011.

Roy Klehm - changed a bit from last year, leaves starting to get rugose, very mixed look this year - I really like the center leaf pattern. A bit of edge ripple starting to show but description in MyHostas doesn't list ripples.

Verna Jean - bought at a club sale out of a garden last year. Lots of growth this year. Nice small hosta - supposed to get 16" across and this is probably close.

Paradigm seedling (2011) - as a seedling this one grew strong. Yellows up during the season. Using as filler for now, but I'm liking it more and more.

Tongue Twister - new last year. Fun look.

Praying Hands - another twister. Hard to get a good focus on this one. May have to move in another year as MA stretches out. Takes lots of sun, from what I've seen.

Krossa Regal - I'm reworking the area/colors in front of this trio of KRs. Glorious hosta if you don't have it yet. This group is probably 9 feet or so wide and gets dapple light at best.

Key Lime Pie - getting squeezed as this area has really matured. Planned to move a number of things on the left size, but all are good sized - hopefully this fall I'm enthused enough to take this on....or spring...or...you get the idea.

High Society - late wet spring didn't seem to favor this one - came out slow and a little underwhelming from last year. Love the colors and hope a little heat gets it going. Planted in 2009.

Candy Dish - Takes a few weeks to fully unfurl and show off those edges. Third year for this one. Think it will be impressive when it matures and fills out.

Abba Dabba Do - If you have some room....plant this one. Good growth and really likes to spread out and show off if happy. Growing in quite a bit of shade.

Thanks for looking. You're always welcome to add pics of yours.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash

Comments (9)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the music along with those beautiful hosta and your great comments.

Some of yours are also in my garden for the second year and are looking fine too. I have two Invincibles, plus Invincible Spirit, doing better this season. The Verna Jean is a sweet small hosta that doesn't melt its white edges in the heat. I really like it, as well as White Dove, another smaller hosta.

I do not have Praying Hands, but I got Hands Up which is a small offspring of PH. Got it this spring from Naylor, two separate eyes, and they are both thriving. It seems to be a strong grower.

Candy Dish is like dark green sweet chocolate, with a shiny thick leaf and more ruffled edges every day. I have another similar one, Irish Luck. Both have enough substance to stand our humidity, which I think is more destructive to thin leafed hosta than the heat is.

Thanks for sharing your beauties with us.

• Lee
    10 years ago

Very nice, i like the radiant star and I want one lol!! and what is the one in front of Abba Dabba Do?
    L

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics. Love the Krossa.

Steve

• paul_
    10 years ago

Egads, I getting old! As soon as I read the post title the song started running through my head. (Although can't recall ever hearing Johnny Nash sing it -- do remember hearing the 5th Dimension and Jimmy Cliff renditions.)

Some sweet hosta you have there.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the comments.

Moc - glad to hear Verna Jean edges hold thru the summer. Do you have a pic of Hands Up you can share? Irish Luck is one I can't wait to see add a couple more years - think it is going to wow...we'll see.

melati, that is Velvet Moon - the contrast is really dramatic this year(3rd).

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hum hum de humm...nice song...more beauuuuuutiful hosta. Wow on that KRegal..have one too which I split in two...might put them back together...more wow factor after seeing yours.

Your comment Re High Society..mine too, is languishing, so pretty a hosta but I wish it would get moving!!! Doesn't look so great yet. Does it like heat? Good to know...may have to relocate once more...my garden soil is lots of bagged triple mix mixed with whatever we have here...not really clay soil, so it's easy for bugs to set up residence...as pill bugs did under HS last year. She's been moved and is not too happy. I hope she'll do ok otherwise I'll buy a new one - love it. She might like the company, teehee hee.

I kind of hid her so bugs wouldn't find her but made bad choice...no bug bites, but she's lost in there...movin' on...(Stevie wonder tune) :)

Thanks for lovely pics!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nice pictures and nice hosta again Paul.

Interesting about High Society. I thought tree roots was the problem when I dug mine out, but there were no tree roots. I went to plant it and it kind of fell apart. I bought mine in 2010 in August. I now have many High Society hosta, I hope some survive.

Beverly

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing Paul. It rained the last three days I was home. I've driven 800 miles east and the darn rain is following me. It was even pouring rain when the sun was shining while we were driving through the Adirondack Mountains.

I'm growing Roy Khelm in full sun and sure looks a lot different than yours. I keep forgetting I need Key Lime Pie until I see yours!

Gesila

• Lee
    10 years ago

It Looks almost like Luna Moth.