Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygardner

My new Cherry Berry - so cute and colorful!!

gabbygardner
12 years ago

I found a perfect little Cherry Berry yesterday, the colors are so pretty. I can't wait until her flowers show up, on berry colored petioles!!

It is a beautiful addition.

Here is a picture:

And a better view of the color...

What fun, I love the colored hosta. Does anyone know some other fun hosta with a little "color"????

Gabby

Comments (13)

• alyciaadamo
    12 years ago

I got mine last year and I agree very very pretty although this year it looks a little ragged.
    I think Fireworks, Rainbow's End and Lakeside Paisley Print are pretty colorful but they don't have the red petioles(I thinks that's the name right?)

This is a link for red stemmed hostas
    http://www.pwk.resteddoginn.ca/lists/hosta_list_rsh.php

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Your Cherry Berry looks so nice! I love the berry colored petioles and have collected a lot of them.

I have a new one, Raspberry Sundae, that is in the ICU bed right now. I got a small one and the first set of leaves have pretty much melted, but it's second flush is showing promise. I can't wait until I can take a nice picture of it. Here's a picture of it at the Hosta Library.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Raspberry Sundae

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are some great colors! I love it. I am in the process of expanding some beds to give my lovely hosta a place to call their own (with much more room) so I am excited.

Most of my larger hosta are in pots right now, as I am learning and had them too close together. I love seeing the hosta you have, as now I can look for those:) We don't have much for nurseries here, so it is tough to get larger plants.

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely be looking for Raspberry Sundae and Lakeside Paisley Print - Awesome!!

Gabby

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Petioles are leaf stems.
    Scapes are flower stems.

Paisley Print doesn't have any red, but beautiful variegation in the leaves.

There is one offered right now on the Hosta Library Auction called Cranberry Wine. It has the most red I've seen so far in a hosta that is being made available to the public.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry Wine at HL Auction

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Babka, I really, really, really want Cranberry Wine! I've resisted it a couple of times now!

Gabby, here's another one I really, really want. Volcano Island. I already have Fire Island and Paradise Island.

Gesila

Here is a link that might be useful: Volcano Island at HL Auction

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your help, as previously stated I am just learning. I appreciate the petiole vs. scapes information. I will note that in my brain:)

Thanks,

Gabby

• hostared
    12 years ago

FYI...It's a slug magnet!
    I've kept mine in a pot for the past 8 years.
    Slugs will eat this one up!

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had major issues with slugs, but I started watering first thing in the morning instead of last thing at night and my slug problem has pretty much ceased. I was very happy. I don't want anything eating my hosta!!

Gabby

• franknjim
    12 years ago

I just got my Cherry Berry last year and it kind of looked like swiss cheese when I bought it. Will see how it does.
    {{gwi:927466}}

This is a young Fire Island. The red comes up onto the leaves.
    {{gwi:1028296}}

Tequila Sunrise. Comes up bright yellow then turns to chartreuse.
    {{gwi:927884}}

{{gwi:1028300}}

• Gesila
    12 years ago

My Cherry Berry was tortured year by both the rabbit, slugs, and soil that moved down the slope.

New in my garden this year, Designer Genes, still has good color.

Paradise Island in a pot, also holding it's spring color better than Fire Island.

Fire Island, lost most of it's spring color. It will be green by fall.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I have Cherry Berry, just planted it last summer. Love those purple scapes, I think I need to move it because a tiarella near is sort of swamping it. I had no idea how big they would grow after I moved them from dry tree root shade to moister root free shade. They exploded (the tiarellas)

That Volcano Island is fantastic.

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gorgeous pictures, I can't wait to watch mine grow. The local nursery here had very few that were "unique" and had color. I love the Cherry Berry, but you all have some amazing colorful specimens-I will keep a look out!!

Gabby

• danimal77
    12 years ago

Gabby.....if you like Cherry Berry, you should check out Cherry Tomato. I believe it's a sport of Cherry Berry. It also has the same red on it's petioles. It is a "mini"....but growing like a weed for me in its first year.

Dan