Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdnesthead

Dragon Fire, just another green hosta??

birdnesthead
15 years ago

I saw Dragon Fire at a local nursery, and was tempted, mostly because of the name...DD and I are Harry Potter fans...so I already have Thunderbolt, and Lakeside Spellbinder...hoping for Blue Seer ( Miss Trewlawney) and we have Buddleia Davidii Potter's Purple. No info on this hosta in The Color Encyclopedia of Hostas, or the Timberpress Pocket Guide. Pics at Hosta Library look like any other nice green Hosta. Anyone growing this one?

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

i would say that the purple petioles do NOT make it JUST another green ...

looks like is going to be a fountain type plant ... nice and wavy ...

lack of info from hugos database might mean it really new.. and rare ...

just cuz its in the library doesnt mean its readily available ..

ken

• ademink
    15 years ago

i have it and like it alot. the petioles are nice and it is a vigorous grower

• birdnesthead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm thinking I'll probably go back and get it...it was $14.99 and the gas for a 26 mile round trip...not a bad deal I guess. That purple petiole thing sounds cool! Now...what can I rip out to make room for this one...

• greenguy
    15 years ago

"what can I rip out to make room for this one..."

some lawn

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

when your first inclination is to ask .... JUST ANOTHER GREEN HOSTA ???? ....

think breeding ....

as much as a streaked mom is important ...

a green dad may add a whole bunch of other things.. like red/purple... waviness... leaf shape.. form ... etc ... and whatever other traits are in the grandparents.. etc, again ...

ergo ... as i said before.... it isnt just another green blob ....

ken

• ademink
    15 years ago

i agree completely. actually....solid green w/ cool traits are my favorite hostas.

• ctopher_mi
    15 years ago

Dragon Fire is a seedling of Riptide and it is a blue hosta. Put it in as much shade as possible and it will be frosty blue early in the season.

And $14.99 is a very good price considering the only wholesale source I know of sells it for $12.00

• birdnesthead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay...I went back and got Dragon Fire. And yes, it was $14.99. Then I saw the sign that said buy 3 plants, get the fourth free. I got a rex begonia with purple tones to complement the purple petioles, a purple tradescantia, a fiber optic grass...then I had to get a big fiber glass urn to put them all in...this $14.99 hosta ended up costing me about $70! I'm not counting the cost of gas, I convinvced DH that we needed to go that way to do some other errands. Thanks to all you enablers!

BTW, yes I did consider ripping out lawn, but the kids still want as much play area as possible...for now.

• starina
    15 years ago

Birdnesthead, Forgive my barging in on this thread. Where do you find hosta's in the Rochester area? I'm not too far from Roch., and always looking. Thank you!

• birdnesthead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome Starina! I live in Greece. My favorite place to buy hostas is Sara's in Brockport, which is where I got Dragon Fire. My other favorite place is Wayside Garden Center in Palmyra (not affiliated with Wayside catalog or on-line). This is a 54 mile round trip from my house, but worth it! Their selection seemed better last year. They tend to be a bit less expensive than Sara', but no one can beat Sara's for selection. I also have found unusual varieties at Green Acre, Van Putte and Green Acre, but they have way less of a selection. I also find nice deals at Garden Factory sometimes...if not, then I make a right onto Buffalo road, and another right onto rt 531...and then stop at Sara's! Happy shopping!

• starina
    15 years ago

Thank you! I live in Fair Haven, but usually get to Wayside a couple of times a season. I've never been to Sara's, will make an effort to check it out though! I seem to fell a collecting bug coming on, sigh...
    great price, by the way.

• pzelko
    15 years ago

Hey Birdnest head, your fiber optic grass likes alot of water, i grow some in the rocks around my pond, it doesnt like to dry out, grows faster with the water. just thought i would pass that on, and it is very easy to propagate too!!

• birdnesthead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fascinating idea! How does one propagate fiber optic grass? Division? How do I overwinter this? I was thinking that in the fall I will bring the urn right up to the side of the house in a sheltered spot so that the Hosta will survive. I do not think that the rex begonia or tradescantia will overwinter. but maybe I can take cuttings of the tradescantia.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH