Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristinbenson21

Help! My living room has a corner fireplace and central media console...how do I tie everything together?

kristinbenson21
11 years ago
I'm seeking design advice on ways to decorate my living room's unique layout. It's a smaller space (~19' x 16') and has a corner fireplace and central media console area. I'm really focused on incorporating my own style and making everything feel balanced and cozy...yet decorative. I would define my style as mix of traditional and eclectic with a hint of rustic/shabby chic. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    meganjacksonmeder
    11 years ago
    If you can source the tile that is on the fireplace now I would get more and have it run all the way to the ceiling. If you can't I would pick a tile and retile the entire thing to add impact. The stone either way should help overpower any of the built-ins
  • User
    11 years ago
    opt for the red chair to live in another room and put the leather chair near the window in its place. Add an armless bench "sette" in front of fireplace, on the rug. Add a large ottomon in front of sofa. Ditto on Bobbi P's suggestion for painting the inside of media console niche and putting a nice piece of art over the fireplace. Nice furniture and rug!
  • PRO
    meganjacksonmeder
    11 years ago
    Decor-wise if you're eclectic you should definitely add a large cocktail table that's made out of something unexpected. Two trunks are an easy example but you could get really creative with it.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hello---Nice room. Some suggestions: move sofa closer to TV with front legs positioned on rug. Have two sets of 2 chairs opposite each other---2 leather on the left and 2 russet chairs by window small tables between sets. Drapery panels to soften the space. Round coffee table. I also think the wall behind the televison should be painted a color. Buy your drapes/panels then have a custom color mixed a shade darker or lighter than the drapes---wallpaper or grasscloth would look nice too. The throw on the russet chair looks out of place---opt for a cream or celadon color...Photos for inspiration (corner FP and color palette) Hope this is helpful...[houzz=
    Kinsman Signature Home · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Eagles Landing - Craftsman Ranch- Saint Augusta, Mn · More Info
    [houzz=
    Mediterranean Family Room · More Info
    ]minneapolis][houzz=
    kgrahi · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Transitional Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Dining Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    White and Cherry Wood Kitchen Remodel · More Info
    [houzz=
    Willadsen Design · More Info
    ]]
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    11 years ago
    I think Bobbi P, Megan and you are on the right track!

Is the white panel operational cabinetry or just wainscoting? If it is wainscoting, i would pull that all the way around the room, running some sort of carpentry to the ceiling above the fireplace mantle.

I also really recommend drapes on that window. Even fixed panels will give you such a nice effect, the room feels like it needs fabric and print, escpecially since I agree with Megan that you need a big, great cocktail table.

Good luck!
  • kristinbenson21
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow! I am impressed with all of the amazing feedback - thank you, thank you! I forgot to mention that the furniture will be replaced....my husband & I are new home owners and will be decorating from a blank slate. :) I will be sure to post pictures once our decorating is complete. Cannot wait to get started! All the best, kb
  • marlisdunnusa
    9 years ago
    Please tell me what I can do to improve the traffic flow in this room.
  • marlisdunnusa
    9 years ago
    I want to put the tv where the white couch is and one of the deco sideboard with tall mirror where the tv is now. The tv needs a console, what is there now is temporary. I would be very gratefull for any advise.
  • ybxhctq
    9 years ago
    marlisdunnusa, in my opinion you have way too much furniture in the space. Pair down a little. Way too many chairs and way too pieces on taking up wall and walk way space. It almost look like you have bar or dining room furniture in this space? Is this correct?
  • PRO
    Cowboy Carpentry
    9 years ago
    I agree about finding some kind of interesting coffee table to bring a better sense of your own style is a great idea. Your best bet? Check odd little resale shops or find a local carpenter who would be willing to sketch up something unusual for you. If you find a smaller carpenter, they'll be more likely to give you a price that will be anything generic you find at a box store and the craftsmanship will most likely be twice as good. Remember, custom doesn't always mean more expensive. And the suggestions about minimizing the media console are spot on!
  • User
    9 years ago
    PEOPLE- this post is over 2 years old... *focus*
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Most people don't realize that the posts on the right side of the page are generated by a key word generator based on what you're reading, and can be 2 or more years old. If it's got a lot of responses, and I've never seen it, I check the date before I do anything. This is a Houzz issue that has been going on for about a year now.
  • ybxhctq
    9 years ago
    Original posts may be two years old, but commenters are posing questions for their own space. For example, Marlisdunnusa asked a question August 2014 and I responded October.
  • Laurie Goodwin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Since we moved into our home 2 years ago, I've been frustrated with our living room arrangement. The corner fireplace with a huge opening for the media center is a problem in a relatively small room. We removed the original built in and top trim above fireplace. This entertainment area was 3 feet deep! Its a very difficult room to work with.

• PRO
    iSO Design
    8 years ago
    You definitely have way too much furniture in this room. Keep I large couch and two accent chairs with a glass coffee table. Build an entertainment centre in the existing nook and keep one console table for the wall beside the entrance.