Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasmith

June or Lakeside Cupcake?

hostasmith
10 years ago

Which one will handle afternoon sun better, June or Lakeside Cupcake?

Comments (11)

• Eleven
    10 years ago

June has much thicker leaves, so that would get my vote. I just got Lakeside Cupcake this year, and the centers have all been eaten by insects, while June is still perfect. Looks really funny to only have the margins left.

• trudy_gw
    10 years ago

June is a much better growing hosta than LSCC. June would be my choice.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Definitely June. I grow one of mine in full sun (early morning until the sun sets) and it never burns. I keep it well watered, though. It comes from Halcyon, which is a great blue. I grow that one in 6 hours of sun (including afternoon) and it never burns plus it holds its blue color.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

June, unless you plant it in July. You might want to march right out and plant it in May.

June is a nice plant, and varies from shade to part shade on its growth, like a lot of plants.

My daughter also points to June, which by co-inky dink is her birth month.

We buried her cat near it a couple seasons ago, and it seems to like the fertilizer boost.

Thanks Gwiffen! (cat's name).

dave

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also have Undulata Variegata, Patriot, First Frost and some Great Expectations that I could use. I want to put them around the propane tank.
    This was taken at noon out my kitchen window, facing west:

6 pm

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Hmm...I'd get some big guy to go around those tanks. Kimodo Dragon? Blue Angel? Big Daddy? Empress Wu? Arborvitae? ;)

But I agree, June over LC. I p got a good sized clump of Lakeside Cupcake and put it in quite a bit of sun...even with lots of water it got a bit fried.

This post was edited by jadie88 on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 18:42

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Go for the big guys... Victory and Leading Lady... tall enough to hide a lot of he tanks and pretty good sun tolerance!

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where would be a good place to get Victory? I found it at N.H. Hostas and Made in the Shade.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I've ordered from NH Hostas before and have been happy with their stuff. Also, Sebright Gardens has it for $20. It's a little more expensive, but they send gallon-sized+ plants.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 12:39

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

I would cover those tanks with birdsnet and plant Clematis to climb over the tanks ---- then, sun-tolerant hostas in the beds.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I see your from the midwest, you may want to also check out Land of the Giants in Wisconsin. Jeff Miller is the guy, you could email him and he'd fix you up with a bunch of hosta for that location. All the other suggestions are good as well.

-Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: LOTG

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES