Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Looking for Large Hosta that is Slug Resistant

lovefornature
14 years ago

Hi All :)

I am looking for suggestions on large hostas (that can be fairly easy to find) and not at an outrageous cost that are slug resistant. I would also like them to put out tall stalks of flowers.

I plan on putting 3 around the feet of a Monarda Jacob's Cline (which is red).

The area will only receive partial afternoon sun.

Thanks all!!!

Comments (5)

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Currently, I have an Elatior,which has a 5ft. scape of flowers. It qualifies on both counts! Phil

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

my elatior is bigger than any monarda i ever grew ...

regardless.. you are playing don quixote here.. in your quest for a sure fire slug proof hosta...

IMHO.. there isnt one ... and you will spend a lot of money on those that claim to be.. only to see them be attacked by slugs..

the bigger issue is, simply put... DO YOU HAVE A SLUG PROBLEM??? and if not.. why are you worried about them ...

i guess i would recommend plantaginea ... full sun.. nearly slug proof.. apple green and 6 inch white flowers that smell of gardenia.. and cheap.... royal standard is a replica with 3.5 inch white flowers and a bit greener

ken

PS: and do note.. she wants a slug proof for afternoon sun... so the blue ones that seem such.. will not stay blue in the heat of the afternoon sun

• i_dig_it
    14 years ago

Liberty

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, OK, I admit it, I did not realize that Hosta's actually got that big. I do have some in my garden, but never needed a space for a big one. I seen pictures at Dave's garden and the leaves are 2-3 times as big as a hand!!

Ken, I really like the looks of the plantaginea and it states it glows in the dark and hummingbirds love it.

I guess that I need to restate my original question.
    It will get some afternoon sun, but not constant afternoon sun, no more than 2 hours.
    Yes, I have found slugs in my yard, but I DO have hosta's they do not seem to bother.
    Maybe I would much rather have a hosta that the leaves get about the size of a hand, with tall scapes (white flowers), attractive to hummingbirds. Around 3 ft. tall would be nice and around 24 in. mound.

Ken, I may be dumb about hosta's, but please don't put an exclamation point on it. I felt like you were laughing at me and at the same time announcing it to anyone reading.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

please do not interpret my exuberance about hosta with laughing at you .. forgive me for such

please also note.. we have a plethora of newbies involved .... and do understand.. that when i reply i am replying to everyone .... ESPECIALLY the newbies ... i TRY [always a key word] to start at the beginning and work through the solution... i understood you were at a design level [far beyond most]... matching your two plants ... but i still explained about slugs from the beginning [e.g. claims of slug-proofed-ness].. and worked through to your solution or suggestion ... in NO WAY was the synthesis done to make you feel like you didnt know what you were doing ...

ANYWAY.. you will love plantiginea .... EVERYONE has to have it ... DONT worry about slugs ... they are easily taken care of if some plague should hit ...

please visit often ....

AND HAVE A GREAT DAY ...

ken

PS: and for the rest of you ... earl grey tea is based on bergamot... which i seem to recall is monarda ... go figure on that ... but for the horrible mildew native to the plant.. i would probably have some around.. though it does tend to wander around the garden ... the smell of the crushed leaves is heavenly ... i wonder why it didnt make it in the 1500 pots i moved here.. hmmmm...

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022