Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

Naylor nails it; Golden Meadows,Sagae, Liberty

Jon 6a SE MA
11 years ago

Naylor mailed out my Hosta Library winner on Monday and I received them today.

First, Sagae-

...and planted. It was actually 2 plants that came apart as I untangled the roots to plant it.

Bought as an extra, Liberty

...and planted

....and saving the best for last, Golden Meadows!!!

...and planted.

I couldn't be more pleased with the hostas, Gary's friendly and efficient service and I am especially thankful to HostaHillbilly for posting his pictures.

Jon

Comments (20)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...and, yes, that is my pasta pot and I will rinse it out good before using it. I should also note that I added the Sagae and Liberty to the order. Notice also the cell phone in one shot as a reference for size. They were all BIG.

Jon

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Oh, man!!! I lost out on that GM to you, you stinker!>>> Fortunately, I have one coming tomorrow from Naylor's as well as Lakeside Paisley Print. :-))))

Is it me, or does your plant look even better than the pic that was on the auction. Well done.

...and your right. Hostahillbilly did us all good. Thanks, hh.
    Gail

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Gail. All's fair in love and hosta auctions.

It does look better than the posted picture and the size of all of them was a nice surprise. In talking with Gary he seems to be someone who really tries to please the customer.

Perhaps they use the auction as a way to get new customers and what better way to have customers come back then to treat them well on the first order. It is a very good business model.

Jon

• lavenderlver
    11 years ago

Not to throw salt in Gail's wound, but that GM is amazing!

And I know who isn't having pasta for dinner tonight.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Worth every penny.

Jon

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Jon, I must agree that is a sharp looking plant.

My GM came today as well along with it's companion hosta so as to not get lonely while in route.

Here is my GM. I am inclined as the owner to say I think mine looks better than yours.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

I got my Golden Meadows a few year ago at Lowes! Nah,nah,na,nah! Who needs expensive online retailers? Lol! Phil

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well Ludi, a very nice looking hosta.....but I have eight leaves and you only have seven. Na, na, nana na.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phil,

Yesterday I bought 3 Blue Angels and one Big Daddy at a nursery shutting down for the season and paid less than $15 for the 4 plants and they are big...and nice. How's that for shopping?

The box stores around here don't have anything even remotely exciting.

Jon

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Shenanigans !!!

You can't see the three behind that massive one . . . or rather I am full of carp.

Gratz again on some great hosta.

Well played,

Ludi

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Yeah,Jon,I hear ya'! I have the advantege of having two local nurserys that carry some pretty good plants. As usual,when you collect plants,eventually they have all the ones you already have,so you quit for the year,as I have. Phil

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phil,

I'm usually done by this time of the year, but the forecast of 3 days of rain and up to 3" has me digging holes and filling them well past my normal deadline.

Jon

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did not do the GM justice by showing it right after planting where I drowned it. Here is a shot from this morning.

It seems to be recovering. Sorry for the overcast conditions.

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

I count 9 leaves Jon . . .

:p

• monet_g
    11 years ago

My GM plant arrived today with 10 leaves and three growth points - one eye is tiny, but it's there! I am very pleased. Still soaking and will post pics tomorrow when potted.

One thing I noticed (or think I did). Naylor takes photos a good time prior to the auction. My plant showed eight or nine leaves on the auction photo and it still held a good amount of variegation. Upon receipt, it's going green and has an additional leaf or two.
    Gail

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ludi,

Its amazing! My GM grew a leaf overninght!!! I counted 8 the day before!!!

...or maybe I missed one.

Gail,

Their location is in the Northwest and cool and wet. Especially so this year, according to Gary. Its still a beauty full green as HH's picture showed.

Look forward to pics.

Jon

• hostahosta
    11 years ago

I got a Golden Meadows in the auction and can't wait till it gets here. Should see it on Monday. Will post pics then.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great hostahosta. Look forward to the pics.

Jon

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Ludi,
    I'm looking at the photos of how all the GMs are planted and, also, thought about how I planted mine. It might be the angle of the photo, but yours looks like it's planted too deep.

As I mentioned, I rec'd my plant yesterday. I let it soak overnight and when I potted it today, I could see it was two five leaf plants. Ah, those Naylors.
    Gail

• User
    11 years ago

Oh wow, Naylor started my week out with a shipment arriving on Monday, send a second which arrived Thursday I think, because other arrivals were from Hornbaker and Mason Hollow. Then today, not to be outdone, two big boxes arrived from Chris at Hallsons. My cup runneth over.

I apologize for any typos here. I ate a cPhilly chease steak sandwich with a big red jalapeno on the side, and forgot about the pepper on my hand. I am typing with my eyes closed and tearing out of my right eye. This is after a good bit of eye drops.... It poured again today, just finished actually, and I cannot deal with the potting up issues today. Maybe in the morning early early. It is beautiful in the morning. I have enough new pots in my SUV to do them all up and place in the shade spots.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012