Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pennblossom

getting started on a new garden on new piece of land

Pennblossom
18 years ago

Hi all,

I've been following the great advice offered on various forums. and I realized the importance of "asking first". Any advice on helping us get started on this new garden will be so...ooo helpful-

Here is the situation. We have moved from western Pennsylvania to orange county, california and from an established garden to a new barren land. At this point I donÂt know where to get started and need advice!!

1. The size of land is 20 ft x 50 ft and I would like use this oppotunity with new land to create an organic garden. I'm thinking of a very small lawn surrounded by wider beds for veggies and flowers. I've been observing the direction of sun and will until fall to see the direction of sunlight but there is plenty sunshine and no trees around. I'm interested in adding few small fruit tress and berry shrubs later next year.

2. Next is the condition of soil. Here even the weeds are not growing and soil has some stones and concrete chips. We thought of using reasonable landscape contractor to help us prepare the soil and lay the sprinklers etc but it is way beyond our budget. So we are thinking of doing it ourselves little by little. My questions in this regard are -

Should I start tilling to turn around the soil and add manure. Would a lightweight tiller like Mantis be useful or i should buy other power one (i've read several comments posted about roto tillers). Where can I rent one and where can I order a truck of manure in orange county, california?

Or is there other alternative way (like adding topsoil) that I can try to make this land fertile?

Or there is no escape from hiring a landscape contractor?

Please also let us know any resource about irrigation systems (sprinklers or drip system) so that we can do it ourselves and not worry about watering on those days when we have to travel for work.

Any comments or advice on these issues are very appreciated. Your advice will go a long way to get us started on this new garden.

Thanks so much for any advice and suggestions!

Comments (2)