Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cricket_love

78 degrees, sprinkler going and hosta drinking in the cool!

Cricket_Love
11 years ago

The weather has broke! The humidity has left and the winds are coming from the north! We have the sprinkler going on the hosta gardens right now. I can just hear them breathe a sigh of relief! The weather is suppose to stay in the 80's this entire week!

Comments (6)

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

We had a drizzly, light misty rain yesterday but most of it didn't get below the tree canopy. There was just a trace in the rain gauge. But the heat has broken for a few days I think, it's overcast and 77 right now. Lovin' it!

Sandy

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Send it this way! 98 degrees today,and no relief! We did have a small shower later,but we have no relief for a few more days,until later next week. I envy you all with cooler weather. This has been the hottest weather I have ever lived in,in my life! Even with all that,the hostas still don't look terribly bad. I guess the old timers have sent their roots deeper into the ground. Phil

• User
    11 years ago

Well, we had a really fine afternoon thunderstorm, no lightning at all, and maybe an inch or so of rain. My garden is looking very refreshed. It was in the mid 90s or so, and now it shows 81 degrees. How cool is that!!! I should see some real nice new leaves coming tomorrow, and maybe a few more scapes beginning to break through the leaf canopy.

The wild birds are back at the feeders. Earlier they were showering in the sprinklers, eating bugs in the grass and flower beds. I love the way wildlife rallies after a good rain. Water is life giving.

• rosie742001
    11 years ago

I am so happy for you folks. We on the other hand, are finally getting some summer: 84 degrees out side. We don't get alot of triple digits here in western Oregon , that is for the east side! At 86, I am not a large fan of triple digits, so that is okay with me. My husband and I grew up in So. California and never had winter!!

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I slept with my a/c off and windows open and woke to thunder. Storms passed to the north. Storms passed to the east. Storms passed to the south. All day long.

Most of the day the clouds were all around me but I remained in sun. High today hit 91. But there was a nice northerly wind. My tomatoes are drooping and it looks like I will have to water them- AGAIN. But I have to admit my hostas are handling it very well.

I just came back from visiting a hosta girlfriend who lives across the street from me. She is also recovering from surgery. And her hostas look great. One of these days I am going to photo and catalog her gardens. She has many NOIDS; I will warn you now. But she loves her hostas. I received two of my species from her; clausa and ventricosa.

I hated to but had to close my house and turn my a/c back on. But usually by this time I need to back off of my computer because my power supply shuts down because of poor electrical quality.

Les

• Cricket_Love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So sorry for those of you still in the heat!!! :/ It's awful!!!
    We are at 74 tonight. No sign of rain for us, but I will water happily in these temps. I shouldn't have to water again for several days.

Les - I also slept with the air off and windows open. I haven't had to turn the air on today either. Thank goodness. Right now I'm listening to all the little creatures of the gardens sing their little hearts out! SO NICE!

Rosie - Never had a winter??? Oh no!!! You have to have snow for Christmas!!! ;) Although, we didn't last year. Your weather sounds wonderful!

Moccasin - Water IS life giving!!!! Phil - I've told this cooler weather that hostaphil needs it to come visit him! Think it will listen? Glad your hosta are still thriving and looking good! Mine, not so much. This has just been a strange year from the very beginning. TO have hosta unfurling in the beginning of March in Iowa is just unheard of.

Wishing everyone a tolerable and safe week ahead!