Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Good Summer for Blues....

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Mild spring (snow in early May), followed by lots of well timed rain has left the blues looking good in the gardens of Minnesota. Favorite blues for me this year have been Blue Hawaii which had a nice leap and Blue Flame which is starting to show some personality.

Please add your Summer Blues.

Paul

Comments (34)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hi, Paul! No pics to share at this time...revamping garden currentlyBUT just wanted to post quick note to acknowledge the stunning collage of your beautiful blues! What a gorgeous collection, I must say...I'm happy to add that I have four of the ones shown in your collection...someday maybe they will look as good as yours do. :-)
    Thanks for sharing....
    Jo

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

What picture perfect plants. Here's something I just discovered. I clicked on Paul's picture which took me to Flicker. I right clicked on the picture and a menu with the sizes appeared. I chose original. The picture quality was 5120 x 3956. I saved it that way to "my pictures" so I could scroll around the picture and see a much larger version of these wonderful blues. I love the way they are presented but don't miss the full size.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great pics, Paul. I have a few...Good Summer for blues here, too. Some aren't all that blue at this point, but very little heat/sun damage here...

'Reptilian'...Considered a blue, I think?

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Prairie Sky', I believe. Had this one mis-labeled as 'Blue Hawaii' early in the season...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

The real 'Blue Hawaii'. Got too much direct sun this season; Resited it last week in a shadier location. Growing nicely though; Sent up 5 scapes...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Silver Bay'...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

And 'Big Daddy'. Thanks for creating this thread, Paul.

Don B.

• dg
    10 years ago

Beautiful blues Paul! Great additions Don!
    Big Daddy looks cool ;-)

I'll add an old standard that's held up well this Summer.
    Photo taken August 4 of Halcyon.

Deb

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looks GREAT, Deb. That's why so many still love this plant. Beautiful.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Deep Blue Sea' just a little puddle. Still, larger than it was last year. Hoping for the leap next season.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 20:23

• dg
    10 years ago

lol @ "just a little puddle"
    My Prairie Sky isn't as nice as yours, Don, but it's another blue that has held up pretty well this Summer.

I'll post a pic of the little feller, with it's scape in July, to keep Paul's post going a while longer.
    :-)
    Deb

10 years ago

Deb, that is THE most perfect specimen of H. Halcyon I've ever had the pleasure of viewing...it's absolutely stunning...you should submit it to the hosta library and/or or start a new post on Halcyon...gorgeous!!!

Paul and Don, you just keep on posting....you fellas have awesome hosta and I never tire of viewing pics...my most relaxing time.

Thanks for sharing! :-)
    Jo.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of a pair of El Nino seedlings started in 2011 - color is nice, but growth has been slow so far.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Another pic of 'Big Daddy'...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Big Daddy' was an attention-getter today. Wow, great color on the seedling, Paul.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Deb, don't be surprised if your 'Prairie Sky' is a whole lot bigger next spring. Mine went from 15 eyes to 40+ eyes from last year to this year. LOL I thought it was 'Blue Hawaii' so I planted it next to the fish pond, with only bright shade all day, and watered it only with pond water (and rain, of course). It's doing amazingly well. I'm kinda glad I mis-labeled it, 'cause 'Blue Hawaii' would have grown itself right out of that spot by now. Seems like the perfect place for a less-than-large blue, though. : )

Cheers!
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Don't know exactly what they are, but the twin blue NOID's are doing OK.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Hadspen Blue' in a pot.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Sieboldiana' a bit green, but relatively unmarred. The high here today was 80 degrees. Just about perfect. Last year on this day it was 91 degrees.

Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kiwi Full Monty - pic is from earlier this summer.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Northern Exposure - a sport of Elegans (lots of half leaves from bunnies getting all the emerging pips in May) but still able to show off

Paul

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Very nice blues,Paul,however,for those of us not living in the 'frozen tundra',I'm afraid all we have down here,due to all the rains,is a lot of 'greens'! Mine have not been blue for quite awhile now,but thanks for the pics. Phil

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Paul, outstanding blues! I only have three of the ones you have pictured. I think I need to go shopping!

Don B.---your NOIDs remind me of my Abiqua Blue Crinkles. Here is a photo. Sadly after my unexpected hail of last week, many of my hostas have markings, tears or holes as does this Abiqua Blue Crinkles. Do you think your NOID may be this hosta?

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Stunning photos, thanks everyone for sharing! It's so helpful to see lovely examples of the plants that reward your gardening patience.

I can't believe I didn't really like blues before. Now I think they're some of the most gorgeous and unique plants of all.

Here's a photo I didn't post in the companions thread of a baby blue arrow beside a neon-green wild fern. I hope if both thrive that they'll look really nice together.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 11:05

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Awakening Angel - one of my favorites.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

NHL, It's certainly possible my NOIDs are 'Abiqua Blue Crinkles'. Thanks for the tip. : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

My 'Deja Blu' was doing poorly where it was, so I've had it in a pot for several weeks. It's really perked back up; I'm probably going to plant it under 'Blue Hawaii'.

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I was waiting for my Fragrant Blue to bloom after reading a recent thread mentioning that some of them are fragrant and some not. Well I am happy to say that my Fragrant Blue is fragrant albeit mildly. It's a bit chewed up now, but the colour has held up pretty well.

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

Here's my El Nino just a few minutes ago.. It's blooming but the scapes didn't get very big. Pretty though.

10 years ago

Brandy, hi! Your EN is beautiful, and so are his companions nearby! :-)

Paul, Cutting Edge has interesting colours...care to tell me a bit about it please? It's all good...the blue, the shape, the leaf detail...what's not to love? I'm curious about how you've kept the colour combinations. Thnx
    Jo.

Btw...can you post a picture of something resembling an ugly hosta...or do you know what that is? lol You (stand out as one of the ones) who has perfect hosta pictures - each and every time. Highest compliment I can give you...well deserved..you can be proud of your hosta, your gardens, and your gardening skills in general. I'm in awe.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

So, I see I need some more Blues. Here is what I have; pictures taken this morning.

Astral Bliss is 1 year old.

Great Escape seems blue to me.

Fragrant Blue Ribbons was recently transplanted.

My Fragrant Blue is fragrant and in all it's glory

Fragrant Star, recently divided, is bluer than I thought it would be.

A hedge of Blue Moon is filling in nicely.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, here's a repost of the Cutting Edge (hybrid of 'Salute' x pycnophylla) pic from above. Nice dusty color (blue-green-grey) with white underleaf showing because the leaves fold a bit....clump seems to flow like a fountain.

Moved it to more sun in 2011, and so far move has been mixed results....a few burn spots in July and faded blues gone to green...but roots seems to be taking hold, so sticking with the move for now.

Paul

• dg
    10 years ago

Paul, is that Little Treasure on the immediate right of Cutting Edge?

Thanks,
    Deb

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deb, yep that is Little Treasure.

Paul