Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Tomorrow I'm a beekeeper

Marie Tulin
16 years ago

New England Forum Friends,

I am getting bees tomorrow! My husband and I spent a good part of the evening assembling the hive (with confusion) and the "bee lady" Nancy will bring the bees tomorrow evening and install them for me.

I've thought about keeping bees for quite a while, not for the honey but for the better flower production with a thousand little pollinators in the area.

I am excited, and a little nervous. Not about getting stung, but the responsibility for some critters. Can't be more work than an incontinent beagle, which was our last critter....certainly the last of a canine sort.

Any other quiet beekeepers out there? Has anyone else thought about it?

Marie/idabean

Comments (12)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Wow, good for you! I've often thought of keeping bees, but that's a weird thought for someone who's had a life-long fear of them, lol!

Can't help yoy out with any advice, but I wanted to wish you much luck and lots of enjoyment!

:)
    Dee

• barefootinct
    16 years ago

What fun and exciting news. Someday I hope also to have bees. But for now, less than a half a mile (as the crow flies...or as the bees fly) from me is an orchard where they keep bees. I am sure that those bees are the one I see in my flower beds. I enjoy buying their honey because I have a feeling I am eating the honey made in part from my flowers. A nice feeling.

Patty

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Ditto Digger's "Wow, Good for you!" I think that's wonderful, especially considering the importance of bees to ecosystems and agriculture, and the diseases ravaging colonies. I toy with the idea of beekeeping, but fear my kids will never go outside again.... Please keep posting about your experiences so we can all learn vicariously.
    Best,
    ML

• runktrun
    16 years ago

How cool like the others I too have always wanted to have a hive but have just never gotten around to it. Please share every detail and of course we definitely need photos of you in that funny looking bee keepers hat. kt

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yeah,
    it is funny looking. I'll ask my daughter to bring her digital camera when she visits. She can take some pix of me and the hive....otherwise you'll have to see for yerselves. I was thinking about having a gardenweb party in late June or July for no reason at all....maybe that would be a chance for you all to see Mindy's (arbo-tum) garden, which is just 20 minutes from me.
    marie

• NorthHadley
    16 years ago

Mayalena why would your kids not go outside if you have honey bees?
    Nothin like a young age to learn about nature.Keeping bees with young children are no problem when they are taught how close to the hive they may approach and not to touch bees at anytime. My children were very very young when we first had honey bees and my grandchildren have watched the bees since they were 2years old with never a problem nor a fear of bees from our children,grandchildren or other children who came to our home.
    They all enjoyed watching the bees entering/leaving the hive,landing on flowers in our garen/yard and having contest of who could see where the bees were going and how far they went before they lost sight of them.

• cloud_9
    16 years ago

How wonderful Marie! I'm excited for you! I have always wanted bees and will someday I'm sure. Do you feel comfortable discussing start-up costs? Did you take a class to learn? Good luck with your "girls"!
    Deb

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice to hear from you, Deb.
    I spent about 268. on the hive, which we assembled ourselves, feeding bottle, face net, gloves and the bees- which the bee supplier picked up in NJ and brought back to MA to distribute, she tells, to 150 eager keepers.

I will get a smoker, but I don't know the cost.

I chose not to buy a suit, tho many people do. I'll tuck my pants cuffs to socks and sleeves into the gloves. If I find I'm scared to death, I'll buy a suit. The "beelady" tries to keep costs down for beginners, and felt I could certainly begin without the all the regalia.

I did not take a class, but found the bee supplier through a friend who keeps bees. I'm reading, and she will stop by tomorrow to help 'install' the bees in the hive.

I understand beekeepers are very generous with their encouragement and knowledge, and there are two nearby, so I'll rely on them and the beelady, who also lives in my town.

I've never seen a class on beekeeping offered in this area.

I promise I'll let everyone know what unfolds. I can tell you this much: I found the hive difficult to assemble. But it came together with help from my husband who's great with a hammer.

Marie

• sunshineboy
    16 years ago

Congratulations Marie!
    Nothing better than honey from your own garden. I live in Shrewsbury Ma and my neighbor across the street has a few hives, as does a pastor down the street. My neighbor makes not only honey, but also candles and soap from his hives. And I love watching those bees zip back and forth from my flowers to his hives.
    Anyhow, for those interested, the Worcester County Beekeepers is the country's oldest county beekeeper association and they offer a variety of classes throughout central/western ma. I think on June 23rd they have a beginners class, check out their website.
    Enjoy the bees, enjoy the flowers, and enjoy the honey.

PS...anyone who has allergies to pollens from local plants should eat local honey to help lessen their seasonal allergies...you're ingesting small amounts of pollen and modulating your body's immune system.

• patrick_nh
    16 years ago

The bee club in Essex County, not sure of the name, I'm sure a web search would come up with it, used to offer an evening class every year through Essex Aggie, now North Shore Community College, in Danvers. It was excellent, and went through everything that you'd need to know to get started.

I haven't had them since I was a kid, but plan to again one of these years, among many other projects, when I get around to setting up a hive. I'm a little hesitant now, and I don't envy the current keepers, with all of the parasites and disease issues that they've now got to contend with.

• hostasz6a
    16 years ago

Congratulations on becoming a beekeeper. I have a few elderly people at my church that have kept bees for years and thoroughly enjoy it. They are a fount of knowledge and used to teach classes at the local Audubon sanctuary They love talking about how much honey they get and how you have to feed them on those warm days in late winter before anything is blooming. According to them, getting an occasional sting is part of the territory, but they are always properly clothed and use the smoke pots to check on the bees. They love them...thousands of little pet/companions.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all you folks who have written with such encouragement. The bees are coming tonight, because last night was too chilly,

I am going to look into bee classes, now that a few of you mentioned it. Good idea.

Thanks again!!
    Marie