Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Is it just me?

leafwatcher
13 years ago

I can't seem to stop walking the Hosta lineup about 3 times a day !

I am starting to feel like a mosquito blood donor..If they are carrying anything this year...so am I !

Comments (14)

• swmogardens
    13 years ago

Try that blue OFF machine you can clip to your belt. It actually seems to work pretty well. Especially for quick strolls or short stops in the garden when you don't want to douse yourself in OFF.

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

I saw someone at convention wearing one of those blue things for tour. I was thinking of getting one, but I wanted to hear more good stuff first!

• hostasformez4
    13 years ago

Excessive moisture, plus thousands of female mosquitoes means we and everything else are blood donners for them.
    My trips through the garden are fewer right now. I have only been going out to mow!!

Connie

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

The little blue Off machines work very well! I have one myself,and I was skeptical,but they really work! Phil

• greenthumbz4mn
    13 years ago

I am allergic to Off spray so was afraid the Off machine would also have something in it to "get me". Also all the ads show people lounging in one place while wearing it which made me think that it would take awhile to form a "shield" around oneself. Or do you have to walk extra slow?? I'm all set to try one if indeed they work as I am real tired of losing blood. However I have not heard much about West Nile outbreaks this year. Mary

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I've been eaten alive this year, the OFF clip on fan has not worked for me.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

we have been in drought for upwards of 4 weeks.. 90 to 100 degrees.. with extremely high humidity ...

not many sqeeters.. but the ones there are.. are mean chuckers ...

ken

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As to the Nile virus, I think they said on the news one night that evryone has probably been exposed to it by now in our area, thankfully most people shrug it off. Glad they don't carry that lyme disease ! Or should I say I hope they don't..

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

we've been eaten alive here also

tried mosquito beater,,,did nothing

broke down and got ortho max applied with the water hose

actually had an enjoyable week in the yard,,,but does not last forever,,,so will have to give it another shot i am sure

jill

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

Here in upstate NY very little mosquito activity. I found the West Nile thing amusing. Most of the birds in northern Europe go to Africa and the Nile every fall and probably pick up the virus there as long as it exists there. Our troops stationed in Europe would have been bitten by those European mosquitoes for many years, etc., etc., etc.

• woodthrush
    13 years ago

Love the Off Clip on also. Always coupons on the net for it also.

• gardengirl_nancy
    13 years ago

I bought the "Off clip on", loved it, it worked great. UNTIL I had to put in a refill. The refills don't work at all. I have tried 4 different ones, none work. I was very disappointed that something could work that good and then not at all with a refill. Anyone else have this problem? Mosquitoes here are the worst I have ever seen them. Everytime I go out the door I get attacked, immediately! I don't want the chemicals on me from sprays, so I just bought some yard guard. Maybe that will keep them away long enough for me to check out my hostas. I've probably had more bites this year than all the years added together! That's a lot! LOL

• troutwind
    13 years ago

Was down in the woods at the bottom of the yard Saturday and was swarmed by mosquitoes. The strange thing is that I didn't notice a single bite later. Must have all been males. I've always said they just don't like the way I taste. My wife is exactly the opposite. She will not go into the yard during the spring and summer unless forced. The mosquitos will leave her anemic in just a few minutes.

• Janice
    13 years ago

Just received this in an email! It explains why mosquito bites itch and some remedies for the itching!

Here is a link that might be useful: S'plains a lot about mosquitoes!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022