Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_in_west_seattle

Can Euc. & Ceanothus be moved?

I have done volunteer gardening at a school in Seattle for a few years. The school now wants to put a play structure where I've planted various plants including a Eucalyptus (Mt. Buffalo) and Ceanothus (Ray Hartman).

These 2 have been in for going on their third year. Can they be moved without killing them? The Euc. is about 6 ft. tall and seems poised to make a big growth leap. It was planted as a small seedling.

The Ceanothus is about 3 ft. tall and as wide.

Thanks,

ERIC

Comments (22)

• ian_wa
    18 years ago

The euc doesn't have much of a chance at this time of the year, if you move it. If you wait until October, it may survive. What's the time frame here?

I think the Ceanothus would be more likely to survive, but it will need a lot of water this summer. Anyway, they are a bit easier to replace unless it is some really rare one.

• eric_in_west_seattle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ian:

Thanks for responding. They want to do it right away. I'd rather they realize that they are killing and sacrificing the trees/plants, rather than moving them, and then being able to think "they just died". I'm going to try and talk them out of it.

Would using a backhoe make a difference, by taking a more intact piece of ground with the Euc?

Thanks,
    ERIC

• Ratherbgardening
    18 years ago

Can't they put the play structure beside the planted area? It would look better I'd think.

• ian_wa
    18 years ago

Using a backhoe might help, indeed. If you can really get a 2-3' square piece of ground in tact then it just may live - you could also thin out some branches to reduce the crown size. If the soil comes off the roots then it probably won't live no matter what you do.

Why does it seem like this scenario happens a lot at schools? Tell them the euc is a rare endemic to one mountain in Victoria, Australia (that's true actually), and that it would be a crime to risk its life.

• eric_in_west_seattle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That would make sense.

Not everyone has that sort of sense though.

I will try to help them gain it.

• Patrick888
    18 years ago

want us to stage a demonstration?! ;-))

Patrick

• Katy5
    18 years ago

IMHO Ceanothus don't like being moved and may languish if not outright die ... I'd just replace it as they are pretty fast growers. Good luck!

• eric_in_west_seattle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It took awhile before I found Ceanothus Ray Hartman. Also, this plant is planted at the edge of a school playfield. Plants that grow in other locations actually shrink here, due to kickball and being stepped on or worse. This one has lost several branches, but has outgrown the predatory children of the field to the point where it will take off this summer. I have lost about 5-6 other 5 gallon shrubs to those bugs.

• ian_wa
    18 years ago

I wonder what you can spray to get rid of them.

• jennie
    18 years ago

The smell of cooked onions will drive off many of them.

• seattlesuze
    18 years ago

Bugs = predatory children??

Hope you can save the plants. It's a brave thing to garden for people with other priorities. I commend you.

Sue

• ian_wa
    18 years ago

No kidding!

Maybe you should introduce some wolves or cougars to the neighborhood.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Fencing to deflect balls and bodies. Neither specimen is at all likely to transplant. THE PLANT LOCATOR - WESTERN REGION lists 8 sources for 'Ray Hartman', including Colvos Creek.

• cfrizz
    18 years ago

I'm going to our local elem. school this afternoon to help tag plants for a slient auction that has to happen because the building is being demolished over the summer. I haven't even seen the plants yet, but I'm so worried about their chances of survival being uprooted in June. It's unfortunete that they didn't plan ahead and do this in early spring so they'd have a better chance. The overall grounds have been in disarry all year anyway due to the new building construction, having bad landscape for a few months wouldn't have been the worst thing if it would have helped more of the plants survive transplanting.

At least I had no hand in planting what is there now, sorry about your 2!

Cathie

• sonny300
    18 years ago

Last fall I moved a ceanothus (a large one about 4 years old))..Sadly, it didn`t make it.. Had to move it to make way for a propane tank..

• eric_in_west_seattle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

UPDATE: I went over to the school to see if the Eucalyptus and Ceanothus had died. They are both very much alive, and putting on new growth. I don't care for the location they were moved to, but hey. Hopefully, some future idiot won't cut them down once they reach their potential. They were both moved with the help of one of those small bulldozers.

• bananajoe
    18 years ago

Don't feel bad about moving those Eric. Eight years ago I planted two small seedling size Eucs. behind my children's Elementary school and they have grown huge. Three years ago the socalled maintenance/gardeners chainsawed them to the ground in the Winter. They both regrew from the base of the stump and now have many large trunks. Each year I have to prune them twice because the head school guy wants to remove them. They are awesome trees. One is Stellulata and the other dalrympleana. I'm choked that he is always on my case trying to get rid of these trees. I said they don't go as long as I'm around. When they cut them to the ground I gave him heck. He seems to think they are not a good choice of tree for that location. Everyone in the school, teachers and students love the gum trees. I will make sure they stay. Good luck with your's. Cheers, Joe

• eric_in_west_seattle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Joe:

What does the head school guy (principal?) have against the Eucs.? What would be a good choice in his eyes? How can someone be so square-headed?

I tried sending you a private e-mail, but got no reply. Do you have a newer e-mail address you can send me?

Thanks,
    ERIC

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Conspicuous trees can be targets merely because they are different-looking, draw attention. Otherwise, 'behind' doesn't tell us what they may be near at the school, that is a causing concern. Paving? Foundations? Wires?

• Bellingham
    18 years ago

Perhaps it's that eucs occasionally drop child crushing branches?

• marialette
    16 years ago

Have a rather voluptuous ceanothus right next to kitchen window, taking away a lot of day/sunlight. Not sure what kind of root it has, taproot or wide rootsystem? It stands close to stone wall, not sure if there's a chance the roots will have grown under the wall. Don't want to damage roots when trying to shift it to another spot.

• eric_in_west_seattle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I started this thread 2 years ago. The 2 small trees were moved and survived. They were definitely set back by the move 2 years ago. The Euc. is flourishing. It's one of the most beautiful specimens I've ever seen. Very unusual leaf and branches. 100% cold hardy.

A "portable" classroom building was just placed right next to them without killing them. I am no longer volunteering at the school, but I had made a strong point to the administrators that the Euc. was rare. They heeded my advice and managed to protect both specimens.

I doubt that a large specimen of Ceanothus or Euc. can be successfully moved though. Better to plant a new one.

ERIC

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH