Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1morehosta

Today'Last day of summer,what do you have left to do?

just1morehosta
15 years ago

Hi Guys,

Well, today is the last day of summer,what do you have left to do before the snow flies?

Here is my list:

1.I still have about 30 hosta to plant,will get this done today.

2.I have two new shrubs to plant

3.I have two boxwoods i need to move

4.I need to clean up all the hummingbird feeders and put them away.

5.I need to move all my potted hosta(a huge amount)to the greenhouse-still have a couple of months for this one.

6.Just your every day yard care for fall, Lots and Lots of raking-:0(

There is more, but i don't want to bore any one.So, what are you all doing now-today?

Carol

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

trim up the trees

ken

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Absolutely nothing. I only planted 4 new new hostas due the crappy year,and there is nothing left,except watch the hostas go dormant,which some have already done. Looking forward to a better year,next year. Now I have many home improvement projects to do. Phil

• upnort
    15 years ago

What do I have to do before snow flies??? Nothing! I made "jobs to finish" spring projects because theyre just too big to tackle now.
    1. Make raised rock wall around black raspberries patches permanent. (this is almost the entire width of my lot plus it turns and goes down to infinty and beyond).
    2. Face the shed with rock. (only the 2 sides I see).
    3. Move elegans, f.w., golden tiara.
    4. take out patio across garage and break up sidewalk underneath for new shade bed.
    5. Raise top of hill.
    6. re-route stream (if I havent died by then)!

• katy122
    15 years ago

It may be the last day of summer, but as long as the sun is still shining for me it is still summer. Lots to do but I have a lousy cold so I'm just going to sit here and feel guilty. NOT! Carol...you make me tired just thinking about all your suppose to do. Good luck, when your finished with your place, please come and do mine.

• Janice
    15 years ago

Plant hosta in pots that may live despite the generous dousing with 'Deep Woods Off', by 5-yr. old!
    I don't have much expectations of their sizes, for next year, though, as a result of their 'baptisms'!

Water, water, water!!! Everything is very dehydrated, due to the 78 mph 'dry hurricane'
    we experienced last Sunday! Thankfully we were some of the more fortunate, with no extensive
    damage to our trees or property and we maintained water during the HUGE areas that were w/o power
    and many still are, including our younger married daughter!

There was a lot of debris, a trailer load with more still around to be dealt with today, hopefully!

Spread more of the wonderful horse manure and straw and leaves and tree trimming compost
    we obtained an abundance of this year. I still have about 1/2 a trailer load, that we finally
    unloaded into a potential bed for next year and I'm snitching buckets full to spread around
    the garden today!

Other than that--not much!!!

• talynnp
    15 years ago

Let's see.....

1. Dig holes for all the hostas is pots, about 75.
    2. Put more hostas in pots, about 40.
    3. Refill the hummingbird feeders, I'll still be seeing them in October.
    4. Plant 2 more crepe myrtles, Pink Velour.
    5. Mulch around all new trees, 17 of them.

Of course this won't all get done today, but maybe by the end of the month!

Tanya

• greenthumbz4mn
    15 years ago

Right now I'm staring at 3 hostas that have to be planted on a HILL, and I'm just not getting it done today. That's the last of my big jobs, and the rest of the fall season will be spent putzing with all the little chores that have to get done. And I love just walking out into the yard and working on whatever job surfaces at the moment--which is how I tend to garden all summer also--which is why I so love being a gardener. I'm always busy, and I'm always outside. The thot of being cooped up all winter is enuf to drive me out of this impossibly cold climate! Upnort~You've already won the grand prize for unfinished chores hands down--providing you live long enuf to claim it! LOL or should it be COL???? Mary

• yardmom
    15 years ago

Wasn't yesterday the last day of summer?

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

???????????
    It would be just like me to get the wrong day,ha ha
    any way, i THINK today is the first day of fall--yes?
    Carol

• User
    15 years ago

I haven't stopped all summer and feel accomplished this evening because I managed to cut all the flower heads off the garlic chive before they went to seed...Yeah, saved some work for next year!

I think I only have 9 more hosta to plant, plus three to move; three small shrubs to plant, plus I want to move an ornamental maple (hopefully not too late) and plant a fernspray in its place.

All that, plus move into the new garden shed...if the siding and door ever gets finished...

The new gardens and reconstructed gardens are looking good (to me). All the young hosta look like I stuck a bunch of feathers in the ground...

• jbranch
    15 years ago

I plan to re-arrange a few hosta. Still plenty of time to do this. That is about it. In the last two days I have planted two Lady in Red hydrangea, some Japaniese painted fern and divided some hosta to go with the hydrangea. Carol, I'm thinking planting 30 hosta in one day is beyond me...

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Out here on the Left Coast (California), gardening never ends. The deciduous trees turn color and drop their leaves, but camellias are setting buds that will begin blooming in November, and snails and slugs just keep eating all year. Vinca minor, liriope, ajuga, and thyme all stay green but just sit there until Spring.

-Babka

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

I have been working at my clean-up and trimming, prunning and deadheading crepe myrtles and got my last hosta
    planted in the hosta bed with 3 others , large sized.
    Working on killing some monkey grass, that edges a bed.
    Take out a dogwood tree that isn't going to make it, far too much sun for it.Divided a large boston fern today.
    There will be more because ever time I go out I find some
    thing to do. What fun :) Happy gardening, caroline

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I NEED TO LOSS WEIGHT!

I will post a few pictures tomorrow of what i got done today,i am beat.
    Carol

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm