Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

in praise of cool-weather crops

leira
14 years ago

This year was the first time I planted cool-weather crops, in the hopes of an early harvest.

In my defense, I grew up in a family that just didn't do greens of any sort, and for some reason, we also never grew root crops (even though we ate them). My own adult years have been spent in the city, where until now, I've never had the space for a proper garden.

This year I decided to change things. I planted turnips, broccoli raab, carrots, radishes, and snowpeas. The turnips provided a few meals worth of greens when I thinned them, and the rest are being left to their own devices to bulb up. The broccoli raab has been growing like mad, and we've had several meals from it, first via thinnings, and now via a proper harvest. I understand that the cut-back stalks may yet send up new side shoots and give us more harvests in the future. The carrots may yet be a lost cause, but only time will tell. The snowpeas are just now getting ready for a harvest, just as we're running out of greens.

This is the earliest that I've ever been able to harvest things from the garden, so it's quite exciting.

If I had things to do over, I would get most things in a little earlier than I did, actually plant the spinach and lettuce that I kept talking about, and do more with succession planting for a longer harvest.

I'm hoping to get a few of the same things in the ground again for a Fall crop, too, which is another thing I've never tried. Extending the harvest season is making me quite happy.

Comments (5)

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Well good for you! It is exciting picking our own fresh greens. I have to say that my spinach only looks like baby spinach but it is still good. The lettuce keeps coming up and is doing remarkable. When I cut it, it always seems to regrows overnight. I don't know how you are harvesting Broccoli. My broccoli hasn't done too much. ITs only about ten inches high and no signs of any heads forming. MY Kale is growing slowly too. I haven't cut that yet. It is only about seven inches tall. But I am a little further north then you and I think we might be a good week or more behind you.
    I wish I could keep the spinach growing. But Hopefully I will be picking the chard when the spinach starts to bolts.

Blake

• diggingthedirt
    14 years ago

I guess this has been an unusually good year for cool-season crops, since it's been so darn cold. The heat-loving plants are just sitting out there looking sort of forlorn. Glad someone sees the silver lining, because I've had about enough of the 40's. LOL - DtD

• leira
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Blake, this is broccoli raab, a.k.a. broccoli rabe, a.k.a. rapini, a.k.a. turnip broccoli, and not actual broccoli. The actual broccoli is huge and leafy and glorious, but no sign of heads yet.

I think I'll probably try chard next year, to round out my options. I certainly intended to plant spinach this year, but I didn't get to it when I intended, and I'm sure it's too late now. I really wish I'd planted some sort of lettuce!

diggingthedirt, yes, the unusually cool Spring hasn't escaped my notice, and I wonder if I'll ever actually see success like this again. It's a big boon for me, though, since I got my cool-weather stuff in a later than I'd intended. I think my tomatoes and squashes are doing OK, though, more or less, and I'm sure their day will come.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    14 years ago

For really early crops, you can also overwinter some, like leeks and spinach. They will bolt when warm weather comes, but will give you veggies until then. We are now just finishing our last year's leeks, just in time to put the tomatoes in the ground in this late cold spring.

• defrost49
    14 years ago

This year was definitely colder than last when I put in my first small veggie garden. The sugar snap peas germinated but have just been sitting there about 8" tall. I noticed a few blossoms today. Germination of everything else except onions and chives was spotty... unless our resident crows have been disrupting things. Last year we were eating spinach by mid-June. What plants are growing have done some decent growth in the past week. If the lettuce had germinated better I might have had enough thinning for a salad this weekend. I know it's important to get something like spinach in early since it is day length sensitive.
    nhbabs, when do you plant your spinach to overwinter?